Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Awaiting my baby blue front...
Hopefully I don't sound stupid asking these questions, but here goes:

1) Do bird toys in an aviary need to be changed as regularly as in a cage (ie. once a week)?

2) Is the food in a foraging toy as well as a meal or instead of?

Thanks in advance guys =]

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
cant answer #1 cuz i doint have one, but #2 i use it for treats while im at work, nuts grapes,etc....i fill it with shredded paper and stuff treats into it, the larger nuts(al lin the shell)take him a while to get out!

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I guess it would all depend on the individual birds habits, some birds, such as my macaw Quincy will work on a new toy till its reduced to splinters, where as my cockatoos will play and chew on new toys for a while till they get bored with it, so for them I rotate toys every few days, usually consisting of about 5 sets of toys which can be reintroduced one at a time, all that being said, my birds are caged not in an aviary, but an aviary is basicly just a larger cage, I don't think a birds instinct to play will change between the two, many breeders supply toys for their birds kept in aviaries as well, as for food in foraging toys, I use treats that are not usually in their main diet, such as cashew or macadamia nuts, its used more to stimulate and keep them entertained more than to use for feeding :)

Last edited:
OP
Alienation

Alienation

Banned
Banned
Nov 2, 2010
Media
Victoria, Australia
Parrots
Awaiting my baby blue front...
Thanks for that guys =]

Yeah I thought it wouldn't change whether it was an aviary or a cage, but I wanted to check in case the fact that the bird has more space to exercise and be stimulated by being outside he might not get bored with toys as quickly.

I was just wondering about foraging because if they have food available wouldn't they not bother to forage because they can get other food easily? Or is it because the other food is something special they'll want to do it?

Most Reactions