A few questions??

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Hello! I had a few questions. My parrohlet has been sick for awhile now, he has been dealing with respiratory issues, along with obvious breathing problems. I have taken him to many vets and none of them could find out what is going on. Some days are better then others. I get very paranoid about him staying warm at night so every day I keep a space heater next to his cage set at 75-76. I cover his cage with a thick big blanket and make sure there is no drafts coming in. I have wanted to switch the blanket with something thinner, but worried he will get to cold. I also have been cleaning his cage with vinger and water, and was wondering if this was enough for his cage and perches to get properly cleaned?
Thanks!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Vintager and water should be fine for cleaning the cage. It's a good idea to do a more thorough cleaning of perches, etc every so often by taking them out and scrubbing them down.

A word of caution on the space heater - are you sure it's bird safe? The vast majority of space heaters have PTFE or PFOA coating that can be toxic when heated. There are some bird safe options out there if you get an oil-filled kind: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/room-heater-suggestions.96517/#post-1025925

I hope your baby feels better soon and that you are able to resolve the breathing problems. Has been seeing avian vets or just general practice cat/dog vets?

OP
millymb21

millymb21

Nov 7, 2021
Parrots
parrotlet
Vintager and water should be fine for cleaning the cage. It's a good idea to do a more thorough cleaning of perches, etc every so often by taking them out and scrubbing them down.

A word of caution on the space heater - are you sure it's bird safe? The vast majority of space heaters have PTFE or PFOA coating that can be toxic when heated. There are some bird safe options out there if you get an oil-filled kind: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/room-heater-suggestions.96517/#post-1025925

I hope your baby feels better soon and that you are able to resolve the breathing problems. Has been seeing avian vets or just general practice cat/dog vets?
Thank you!
Awhile ago someone recommended the delonghi heater and said it was safe for birds, so I got that. I live in a small town in the south so it's only dog/cat vets around. I took him to 2 different exotic vets hours away, and both of them couldn't figure out what is wrong. His droppings are always green in the urine part. And his breathing is always bad, some days are better then others. I have noticed when he opens his beak there is a fluid bubble in the back of his mouth. This has been going on for a year now. I am just lost on what to do anymore. 😢

Most Reactions