A few Questions

Guaper

Jul 31, 2009
Hi all my name is steve im 25 and currently going to school to be a veterinarian technician. Im in love with these birds my best friend had one when we were growing up and i used to hang out with it all the time. I have been doing a ton of reading on them but that only gets you so far you need to hear advice from the people that own them.. i was curious as to what i should look for when getting a baby bird... what to look for in the person im getting the bird from... what a reasonable price would be to pay for one.. and just any advice you would be able to share. i want to have a beautiful happy bird for a very long time and want to be a good bird owner. thank you steve

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forums Steve,

Hopefully some Amazon owners will chime in with specifics but I'll take a stab in terms of general comments.

My first recommendation would be to find somewhere to interact with Amazons. Check out local bird clubs and rescues - the latter could be a good place to get a bird when you're ready as well.

When it comes time to take one home check out your source - if at all possible go to them and see where they breed/house the birds. As a vet tech you should be familiar enough with what to look for for appropriate housing and environment. It should be fairly clean, with plenty of room for the birds, a quality food, etc. I say fairly clean as I'm suspicious of such places that are spotless - if they're interacting with the birds in a healthy manner and devoting time to socialization the place is not going to sparkle. But it should be healthy as in not having anything growing in water dishes and so forth.

Beyond that talk to them. If all they're talking about is money and numbers then run away fast. You should be interviewing them about how they raise and care for their birds, but also they should be screening you to be sure you'd provide a good home for their bird. Any one who does not care where their birds go likely doesn't take good care of them while they have them.

Price can vary widely, especially depending on the species you choose. But keep in mind that the bird itself is only a small fraction of the cost. A decent cage for a parrot often costs more than the parrot itself. Then there are toys, perches, etc, and food and vet care (perhaps you can get a break on the last item).

Price will also depend on whether you are re-homing a rescue or buying from a breeder. But in either case I suspect for most species of Amazon you would be looking in the range of at least a couple thousand dollars. [Edit: couple thousand would be the low end for bird, cage, and supplies not the bird alone. Although at the higher end the bird alone may cost more than this.]

If you are re-homing it is not unheard of to find someone looking for a home for their parrot with cage and all. Here the price will generally be substantially less. These opportunities are, however, few and far between, and in such cases you need to look into why they are giving up their parrot. There are certainly happy healthy parrots that must occasionally be given up, but often people advertise a "happy healthy loving" bird as a means to get rid of an animal that they have thoroughly neglected and messed up.

If this is your first parrot I would avoid such situations and look to established rescue organizations or breeders. It can be pricey but your taking on a lifelong companion.

Last edited:

AlaskanRose

Jul 14, 2009
Interior Alaska
Parrots
Red Lored Amazon
Hi Steve!

I just adopted a Red Lored Amazon, which I am finding is a fairly rare bird. I love him, he's great!

I paid $100 to the rescue, and Buddy came with everything, including a HUGE cage. I waited for over a year for the right bird to come along.

I think it might be difficult for you to find a rescue if you aren't experienced with birds, but if you get involved in a rescue and bird club you may build a relationship with other bird enthusiasts and learn a lot, and eventually be able to adopt a bird that fits your life. Working toward being a vet tech is of course a great recommendation. Are you currently working in a vet hospital that has a good avian vet?

Some rescues have more "baggage" than others. My bird was passed around once a year in his short little four-year life! He was teased by children, I'm fairly certain. I'm still in the process of getting to know him, but progress is being made and it's very rewarding! A rescue organization can be a great help should you need in-person help, information,etc. The fee that I paid guarantees that if I should ever need to rehome him, they will step in and help me find a loving home for Buddy.

Of course that's NOT going to happen, because as far as I'm concerned, Buddy has found his forever home. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts