A Helping Wing Rescue - our recent experience

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
My daughter Victoria (Riddick07) has been posting about a pending new addition to our family, the troubled Bare Eyed Cockatoo, Folger. But, I wanted to post here about the rescue he is at. We have always been rescue / shelter people, most non human family members are rescues of one sort or the other! We've volunteered for a Humane League, ferret rescue and horse rescue. We've had good and bad experiences. Our new experience with a bird rescue (A Helping Wing) in Blairstown, NJ was such that I had to post.

And no, not a bad word to say! I am not sure if Jeanne and John are members here, but I have to tell anyone within driving distance, if you are considering a feathered adoption, a trip to Blairstown needs to be in your future! We went specifically to meet a problem guy who my daughter has been watching online for almost a year (and long before we adopted another Bare Eyed Cockatoo, Ivory, into our family). She finally talked me into going to visit him and I was a little skeptical, knowing just a tiny bit about his history, but you never know, finding the right person and home can make any beast turn into a beauty :). Anyway, babbling...

Our visit was really a great experience, even tho seeing so many beautiful birds there was heart breaking, but to see how well taken care of they were and meeting some of the most exceptional and caring people we have seen in the rescue community. Jeanne was hesitant at first about Folger being an option and she introduced us to so many wonderful birds, but in the end, Folger was presented to us for some interaction and well, you've seen the photos in other posts what the rest of the story was.

My post here is more about just how wonderful the rescue is, the people are just beyond caring and friendly. We literally spent more then 4 hours at Jeanne and John's house. We were offered refreshments and snacks and even when friends came over and they ordered dinner, they asked us to join in pizza. Chris was another rescue member we met that was super nice and friendly, he seemed so happy to see Folger having a good time and he kept popping into the house just to see how things were going.

For anyone who worries about what happens to really problem birds, well, if they are in Jeanne and John's care, they remain there... Folger has been under their care since 2008 and other 'problem' birds have been there much longer. If you look into their rescue, you might think too much of a pain, I don't want to drive there multiple times to visit... but realistically, their process is very effective and works. There are no impulse adoptions, you get to know the bird a bit and they will tell you everything about that bird they have to share.

Their adoption fees are incredibly reasonable too, and they deserve even more! There is a large soda display type refrigerator in the rescue building and it was filled with fresh fruits and vegetables. I could just go on and on, but the point of this ramble, if you think you want another bird, go to Helping Wing if you can. They are so willing to spend so much time with you to allow you to interact with a huge array of birds and you never know who your perfect match may be!!!

Just our thoughts and hopefully a little attention to a great shelter!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It is so great to hear about a wonderful rescue, especially today:) I am so glad that y'all had such a great experience there, and that the birds are so well taken care of. Wish I was closer:(
I am ecstatic that y'all are bringing that 'too home!!

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
I wasn't sold on getting another cockatoo, but after hearing all of Folger's story and meeting him, its almost impossible to walk away at this point. He has so much potential and wants to be with the right person, and he's been so horribly treated by humans. It is just this feeling that he needs to come home and be pampered and reminded how wonderful people can be. I joke that he will be a work in progress for the next decade, but really believe in my heart, he'll be a happy outgoing addition to our home.

We have no idealistic thoughts that he'll turn into a 'perfect' bird, and even knowing he will always be a potential to bite at any time for not much of a reason... I guess its the love and accept him the way he is and hope for him to be happy and come what may, he's family and you just deal with best you can! This is definitely one of the most earnest commitments we need to make.

Hoping that even if one person reads about Jeanne and John and decide to check them out, it will be great to have shared!!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I think that your attitude about Folger is the best way to go in and bring home a rescue....to accept him for who he is:) And it truly sounds as if Folger picked you two. He has a great name, by the way!

OP
jenphilly

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
totally off topic, I just saw you had a hawk headed! I met one at the rescue that kept talking to me when I walked past him in his cage. But his talking was sooooo loud, he was not screaming like a crazy man, but he literally was talking so loud, like someone who has clogged ears and they are almost screaming because they can't hear how loud they are! Is Darwin a bird with that projecting voice!?

Jumpingtadpoles

Oct 22, 2013
Vancouver Island
Parrots
We are looking for a bird for our family. It's very much like we are pregnant and waiting for the day the new addition comes to the family!
So great to hear of a good place for birds to await squiggly a transition time in their lives.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Wow ,thanks for sharing your experience. Im thinking about finding a rescue to donate too [but im a little lost] . Not a lot around me.

Most Reactions