A little bit of advice for my new Indian Ringneck

Souplahoopla

Oct 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I picked up my new indian ringneck yesterday. He is 5 months old and came from a family who had unfortunately lost a family member and inherited a dog, and the owners were put into an impossible situation and felt it wasnt fair for my now baby, so really horrible for them but very happy for me! But assured me he is friendly and tame, which he is, almost incredibly so! I had his set up all ready to go, and gently introduced him to his cage, and left the door open so he could fly freely if he wished. We got back about midday. He spent all of 3 seconds in the cage and jumped right onto my arm and proceeded to spend the entire day investigating from my shoulder or making it impossible to do anything. He even preened himself frequently on my shoulder and gave me kisses! Now, all is not paradise. He is my first bird so ive read a lot, but took him on in the middle of bluffing and molting. I've had maybe 3 attempts to give me a new earpiercing, which i think is mostly testing the waters because i never go to him, hes on me already and im just sitting there talking to him. So i'm doing my best not to react or wince! I work from home so i'm happy to have him out the majority of the day, but i have been mindful to put him in his cage every few hours with a treat so i can get stuff sorted that isnt safe for him. Hes alert but quiet in his cage so far. BUT, the issue is, i work from home online and he has taken an unhealthy interest in my laptop, and keys, which he now realises he can remove. I dont want to cage him while im working, so any toys, perches, extras i can get to keep him away would be great because i dont have a good local supplier. And any advice about discouraging bad behaviour that doesnt impact trust would be great!! thank youxx

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Better to avoid the “bad” behavior than to try to discourage it. Lots of toys to chew may help.

Most Reactions