Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
...But has anyone ever tried Jackfruit with their parrots? If I remember correctly, it **IS** safe for them to eat. How ever it is hard for me to find (and store and eat before it goes bad). I Love jackfruit, but it is so hard to find here in Canada.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Iā€™ve seen it at the Asian grocery stores. Big green spiky type thing? They say it can be a meat replacement.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I haven't tried offering it to Cotton but I've also seen it at Asian groceries, as well as stores that carry a higher number of vegan food items.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I just realized Iā€™ve seen jackfruit sold, packaged as a meat replacement, at Trader Joeā€™s. Seems time it was imitating a pulled or barbecued pork sandwich.

OP
Vampiric_Conure

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I just realized Iā€™ve seen jackfruit sold, packaged as a meat replacement, at Trader Joeā€™s. Seems time it was imitating a pulled or barbecued pork sandwich.
o_O How odd it was being sold as an imitation pulled/BBQed pork sandwich! I guess if you cooked it right, it could pass as such, but it tastes too much like mangoes to me LOL!

YYHa

Mar 29, 2022
Parrots
Budgie, GCC
My birds donā€™t like jackfruit much. Itā€™s like candy and they have a few bites, shred it then go off and cleanse their pallet with water. If Iā€™m eating it, then they will beg for some but in the end they donā€™t eat anything and simply shred it to play withā€¦ also very very sticky. When they hold it in their feet itā€™s a big sticky mess and on their beaksā€¦bath time is a must after.

Iā€™m Chinese and so my family buys the whole jackfruit and peels it, so itā€™s a lot of jackfruit, far too much jackfruit that we share with family.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My birds donā€™t like jackfruit much. Itā€™s like candy and they have a few bites, shred it then go off and cleanse their pallet with water. If Iā€™m eating it, then they will beg for some but in the end they donā€™t eat anything and simply shred it to play withā€¦ also very very sticky. When they hold it in their feet itā€™s a big sticky mess and on their beaksā€¦bath time is a must after.

Iā€™m Chinese and so my family buys the whole jackfruit and peels it, so itā€™s a lot of jackfruit, far too much jackfruit that we share with family.
It seems itā€™s the GREEN jackfruit that is used as a pulled pork replacement. Iā€™m guessing it doesnā€™t taste like much. I think you can buy that canned or frozen.

I havenā€™t tried this yet. I have only seen the enormous fruits on sale at the Asian grocery near my house, which has lots of fresh fruits and vegetables that the neighborhood grocery store does not have.

Most Reactions