A long journey ahead

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
** Quoted from Noodles previous post ;)**

"The longest drive I've done was from MO to NYC and that was done with one hotel stop because it was too brutal otherwise--originally, the intent was to drive it in one shot and take turns behind the wheel. For MO to NYC, Google said roughly 21 hours, but it ended up taking closer to 30 (had to think about it) between traffic jams, roadwork , tolls, gas, bathrooms and food stops (even when they were combined). It may have been closer to 30 collectively when you counted daily start time to daily end time...it was like 14 one day and 15 the next, but again with short stops...Again- roadwork and traffic made a huge difference on that trip."

Being a retired Big Rig driver for 30+ years, I can't stop trying to analyze stuff like this....since I had to fill out a log book everyday/hour for duty status...just trying to figure out the time/miles/on duty thing lol :cool:

Jim

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
** Quoted from Noodles previous post ;)**

"The longest drive I've done was from MO to NYC and that was done with one hotel stop because it was too brutal otherwise--originally, the intent was to drive it in one shot and take turns behind the wheel. For MO to NYC, Google said roughly 21 hours, but it ended up taking closer to 30 (had to think about it) between traffic jams, roadwork , tolls, gas, bathrooms and food stops (even when they were combined). It may have been closer to 30 collectively when you counted daily start time to daily end time...it was like 14 one day and 15 the next, but again with short stops...Again- roadwork and traffic made a huge difference on that trip."

Being a retired Big Rig driver after 30+ years, I can't stop trying to analyze stuff like this....since I had to fill out a log book everyday/hour for duty status...just trying to figure out the time/miles/on duty thing lol :cool:

Jim

It was pretty amazing how much longer it took (than anticipated) and how tiring it was after 15 hours, to turn around and do it all again on little sleep. Sure, 15 hours sounds easy enough, but back-to-back, it DOES take its toll! Especially when you are trying to make a deadline and stuck in traffic LOL (and running on fumes because you couldn't wind-down from the 15 hours of driving)! We had reservations at a b&b and we rolled into NY at like....1AM or something? I felt bad for the guy who had to drop the keys, but...we did let him know that we would be getting in super late!

Driving a truck for a living has got to be a challenge--pays well and I am sure it has perks, but dang....I am a naturally high-strung person in certain circumstances (like driving), so I don't sleep that easily, BUT, at a certain point, the lights and the road kind of start to blend (not due to falling asleep, but due to eye-strain alone!)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts