A love letter to my conure

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
I'm completely smitten with her, there's no hope !

I brought home Kermit over a year ago. I did the research. I knew basically what to expect, and I knew parrots could easily become aggressive and nasty if mishandled/hormones.

I don't want to jinx it, but... I've yet to have a day where I ever regret bringing her home. She's adorable ! I don't know if all conures are this smart, but we've taught her so many impromptu games. She LOVES the game "kisses"; she'll ask us for kisses, we make a lip smacky sound, and she reaches out to kiss your cheek. Sometimes she tells us thank you. We just taught her pee-ka-boo. She'll deep her head down for the "pee" part, then come up fast for the "ka-boo" (and says this part very very softly). She has a hard time stringing the two parts together, so sometimes she'll just do one or the other, or just the motions. I just taught her "taptaptap". No idea how I taught it to her, honestly... it must have been something I did once or twice that she does on her own now. She'll lovingly beak drag her beak across my hands. She'll sway her body if I dance so she can dance along. She makes microwave beeps whenever we go to the kitchen, and lord help me every time I have to push some of the buttons for her because she asked so nicely. She plays with everyone in the family and occasionally rotates favorites, but has never been outright mean to someone for very long.

That isn't to say she has her days where she doesn't want to come out of her cage. She does, and she's given me a nasty bite once or twice. But thus far the good has outweighed the bad. She's more than a pet and I feel fullfilled having her as my companion for many long years. I don't think I've done anything special, I just think she's a good egg <3 :gcc:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
That's so lovely. I haven't had Syd for as long and don't know boy or girl but always assume it's a he, and there are days when I am happy to see him go to bed. But then there were days when I also felt that way when I had toddlers. What ever kind of day we have and yes they are not all the same, he greets me with a cheery 'good morning' each day, and his favourite saying at the moment is 'I'm sorry' which goes a long way in melting my heart.

Like you I am soooooo glad that I didn't ignore the feeling that I would like to be part of a bird flock and even more delighted that I heard about GCC's. It's been a revelation.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I love my little monster, too.
They enrich our lives so much.
Thanks for your sweet story!

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Trust me I know how they can snag your heart. I took in a "throwaway" bird, a little sun conure... prior family was going to release him in to the wild. I thought that the LAST thing I needed was another bird.. I was wrong.
They were clueless of course. The bird was NOT the problem. After an initial bumpy start learning each others ways...we found our lives changed. We re-named the little conure Booger. Cookie, my BFA... adopted his as his son. To my wife, he became the baby she had never had. To me.. he was a source of amazement. How could such a tiny critter be so full of love. He adored everyone. We found ourselves looking forward to each day spending time with him. His 98 dbl squeals of delight when we drove up in the driveway, or just walked in to the room made us feel special. He taught my wife and I how to kiss again..(we gave each other "BoogerSugar") He had Cookie on his toes guarding and preening and feeding his new son. If one was on your shoulder they were BOTH on your shoulder... something very new to my wifey. She and Cookie were more rivals than friends. Not anymore. Cookie accepted wifey as "co-parent" of Booger and all of the sudden they were friends. Every day he brought more smiles and laughter in to our home. Im serious... everything here changed due to this little fluffball.
Sadly we just lost Booger... still in shock although we knew it was coming. This home is forever changed and the memories we have.... well they are just damn special. So yes, We know how you feel. Take advantage of every moment you can have with your little one. And we can feel kinda sorry for those that have never known the joy that we have had.

Most Reactions

Latest posts