A parrot's way of saying "thanks"

alfy1

Apr 17, 2013
My parrot has a specific way of thanking. Whenever i or someone else hands him a treat of some kind ( a fruit, biscuit etc. ) he makes a noise, like a cough, which he never uses the rest of the time. He makes that sound EVERY time , immediatly after he gets the treat ( but he makes a completely different sound after i pet him ). Has anyone else observed a similiar behaviour? Pay attention to what your grey says after you give him something.

Bandespresso

Dec 22, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Congo African Grey+
Worked closely with many species, birds with behavioral problems, and now birds of prey and other wildlife
Espresso's thank you is a VERY high-pitched beep. If she wasn't so darn cute it would be obnoxious! Also, her way of saying goodbye is a zipper sound.

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Shadow - Six year old Congo African Grey
When mine gets something she likes, she lets out a shrill sound. She also does it when I come home. She is never loud other than that. I'm lucky. She's talkative but she never screams or anything of that nature.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
My Green Cheek Conure used to say thank you whenever I gave her a sunflower seed. :)

Also, are you sure he is making a happy sound and not a noise due to a respiratory issue? Just saying, because my Mother's Sun Conure used to make a cough type noise when she gave him treats.

I think my Mother's African Grey makes a high pitched noise when he gets treats as well.

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Shadow - Six year old Congo African Grey
If it's tied to a behaviour, I would think it's fine. A cough is more involuntary.

Sheeji

Feb 18, 2015
Media
Al khobar Saudi Arabia
Parrots
16 month old Congo African grey called Leo
My CAG makes a clicking sound like that of a dolphin when he wants to be scratched and Whilst being scratched. He bows his head and clicks. Cutest thing ever.
Also I think if your bird is just doing it when you give him treats and not other times then that's just it a Thank you. How sweet!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My parrot has a specific way of thanking. Whenever i or someone else hands him a treat of some kind ( a fruit, biscuit etc. ) he makes a noise, like a cough, which he never uses the rest of the time. He makes that sound EVERY time , immediatly after he gets the treat ( but he makes a completely different sound after i pet him ). Has anyone else observed a similiar behaviour? Pay attention to what your grey says after you give him something.

Oh yes...my TAG always "woo'd" in different tones..either with treets,or saying hello,even when giving her regular food. and it was funny,coz each episode was in a different tune.

Jim

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
Goes to show just how smart birds really are! Whoever came up with the term "bird brained" meaning dumb or stupid never had a bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts