so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I so often find I have a hard time choosing where to post some of my stuff.
This is one of those times.

Had a power outage early this morning at a little after 1:00 am.
I have two emergency lights plugged in to outlets that come on when the power goes out.
The light in the living room where the amazons and Bella are located came on like it should.
The light in the cockatiel room didn't come on.
My cockatiels freeked out. I was asleep at the time but my wife was up and woke my son and I up.
My son is better at fixing up the cockatiels when there is blood.
There was a lot of blood.
Angel looks like she was in a slasher movie.
Taking her to the vet this morning was not an option. She is so skittish she would have flapped around on the way to the vet and make the problem even worse.
And what could the vet do once I got there, give her a transfusion....
Once she is healed up I may need to take her in and have her checked out because the area she injured is the wing that was partially amputated.

Bella panicked a little bit but no damage done.
The Amazons. The twins woke up and moved around. Mostly from the commotion us humans caused.
Bingo just barley woke up for the whole thing.

Need to get some better emergency lights .

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I am so sorry you experienced this! Perhaps you could get battery powered night lights? Like ones you would have in a nursery! Is Angel still bleeding? I would assume not but it is a good question to ask. Is she alert and acting normal? I would recommend giving your cage a thorough deep clean to prevent the blood from becoming a biohazard if there was that much if you havenā€™t already. I would recommend using thin, white sheets for cage covers if you have a night light in the room. Night frights are truly terrifying for everyone.

when Rico has bad night frights (he isnā€™t prone to them but sometimes they do happen), I swap out his cage cover to a thin sheet (I have like 5 in my room because, I dunno) and turn on the humidifier and it produces a quiet hum while providing a soft light and when Rico has night frights and it doesnā€™t wake me up, he can use the light to help him back up. I usually can tell if he has a night fright due to him looking scruffy and feathers being everywhere, some having blood on the quill, others being normal.

For your birds, it may be different so I would recommend thin white sheets, battery powered nursery night lights, and maybe even a camera that can alert you to noise or motion? Iā€™m not too sure about the last one though.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I am so sorry you experienced this! Perhaps you could get battery powered night lights? Like ones you would have in a nursery! Is Angel still bleeding? I would assume not but it is a good question to ask. Is she alert and acting normal? I would recommend giving your cage a thorough deep clean to prevent the blood from becoming a biohazard if there was that much if you havenā€™t already. I would recommend using thin, white sheets for cage covers if you have a night light in the room. Night frights are truly terrifying for everyone.

when Rico has bad night frights (he isnā€™t prone to them but sometimes they do happen), I swap out his cage cover to a thin sheet (I have like 5 in my room because, I dunno) and turn on the humidifier and it produces a quiet hum while providing a soft light and when Rico has night frights and it doesnā€™t wake me up, he can use the light to help him back up. I usually can tell if he has a night fright due to him looking scruffy and feathers being everywhere, some having blood on the quill, others being normal.

For your birds, it may be different so I would recommend thin white sheets, battery powered nursery night lights, and maybe even a camera that can alert you to noise or motion? Iā€™m not too sure about the last one though.
Angel was sleeping a bit more and not moving around much most of the day but she was eating/drinking and grooming.

My cockatiels are covered on the back side of their cages but the front is left open. I always keep a light on but it is the normal overhead light on house power. I had those emergency lights in place and expected it would be enough. They are supposed to stay light for 6/7 hours. Plus I have one of those solar generators with plenty of power. Double plus I have a gas generator if I want to piss off the neighbors. Both of those power sources take human intervention to activate.

Most of the LED battery operated lights have a different spectrum of light compared to florescent lighting (what my Tiels are use to) and my birds don't .... find comfort in it. Don't know if it's cuz it's just different or because there eyes don't see with it as well.

Covering the front of their cages.... my gut call on this is it would be a disaster. If they heard us moving around and were unable to see us I think they would panic. They panic over stuff that is a complete mystery to us.
Fireworks doesn't even ruffle their feathers but a slight earthquake that us humans can't even feal will set them off for sure.
Our neighbor does a lot of wood working and it makes lots of noise.
My Tiels don't care. But if the catch a glimpse of him working in the back yard they will freak.

My first 2 cockatiel's (Lucky and Baby) were not like this.
It's Cheeky (the white face father) and the 3 offspring from him (Angle, Popeye, and ta lesser degree Manago) That have this hyper nervous gene.

Most Reactions