A question about wing clipping.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I don't want to start an argument.
Every one must do what they feel is right for their bird, family and home. Im not wanting to discuss the fors and againsts of a PROPER wing clip as this can lead to a very very heated debate.

I just came across a comment on a dog grooming fb page of a person advocating an uneven clip!

My question is : surely this is more dangerous for the bird because it causes them to be unbalanced and leds to more injuries because it can't right or correct it's self if it falls?

Edit to add :his reasoning is to stop the bird from flying

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Stitch you are absolutely correct! IF a bird's wings are to be clipped it is vital that it is done evenly on both wings in order to prevent the bird becoming unbalanced when they try to fly - and they will still try to fly! Otherwise catastrophic injury to the keel bone, spine, feet or legs may result, and sometimes the injuries can be fatal.

Interesting this is coming from a dog grooming group. My cousin runs a dog grooming business and she would no sooner give advice about clipping a birds' wings than she would fly to the moon...

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
This is exactly what I thought!

The comment came up because a groomer was asked to bath dry and trim show chickens (I know nothing about chickens but they are still a bird with very delicate airways so my advice was no, the show handler should do it,because something in the salon could kill it.) so that then led to some one else asking do birds get feather cuts which led to this guy advocating a single wing clip to stop the bird from flying

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Eeeek!! The one-wing clip is very old fashioned and much frowned upon these days and makes it much more likely that the bird will injure itself when it hits the floor. The aim is for the bird to be unable to gain lift when it takes off, and for it to be able to glide gracefully and harmlessly in a controlled manner to the ground, not to drop like a stone. Hopefully you can set them straight, Stitch!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Eeeek!! The one-wing clip is very old fashioned and much frowned upon these days and makes it much more likely that the bird will injure itself when it hits the floor. The aim is for the bird to be unable to gain lift when it takes off, and for it to be able to glide gracefully and harmlessly in a controlled manner to the ground, not to drop like a stone. Hopefully you can set them straight, Stitch!
Trust me, I have done!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very correct!! That single side cut came from the huge Federal Import Storage Facilities back when near all Parrots where imported. The practice was classified as Inhumane and band from use by State Governments. The sad reason was the high-loss of Parrots as they crawled-up the sides of the flights and launched from on-high commonly breaking their necks. Those States with Federal Import Facilities, laws where passed to stop the practice. Those laws are still on the books, so depending on what State the groomer is in, they could be breaking the law.

Proper Wing Clipping is as much an Art as it is a Science! Get it wrong and the appearance of the Parrot is effected and they can and do seriously hurt themselves!! Always have a CAV or CAVT provide the wing clip! Near all Pet Stores have no-one qualified. Remember, if the Parrot moves, the sharpe edge could end-up inside the Parrot!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I don't want to start an argument.
Every one must do what they feel is right for their bird, family and home. Im not wanting to discuss the fors and againsts of a PROPER wing clip as this can lead to a very very heated debate.

I just came across a comment on a dog grooming fb page of a person advocating an uneven clip!

My question is : surely this is more dangerous for the bird because it causes them to be unbalanced and leds to more injuries because it can't right or correct it's self if it falls?

Edit to add :his reasoning is to stop the bird from flying
Thank you so much for recognizing an archaic, barbaric technique and advocating for better grooming!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
So very correct!! That single side cut came from the huge Federal Import Storage Facilities back when near all Parrots where imported. The practice was classified as Inhumane and band from use by State Governments. The sad reason was the high-loss of Parrots as they crawled-up the sides of the flights and launched from on-high commonly breaking their necks. Those States with Federal Import Facilities, laws where passed to stop the practice. Those laws are still on the books, so depending on what State the groomer is in, they could be breaking the law.

Proper Wing Clipping is as much an Art as it is a Science! Get it wrong and the appearance of the Parrot is effected and they can and do seriously hurt themselves!! Always have a CAV or CAVT provide the wing clip! Near all Pet Stores have no-one qualified. Remember, if the Parrot moves, the sharpe edge could end-up inside the Parrot!
I had no idea that's where it stemmed from, and glad it's been outlawed. I'll need to look at uk law to see if we have anything similar, although I think it would come under our animal welfare act and the rspca's 5 freedoms to not cause any pain, fear, suffering, that the animal can still display normal behavior, have access to vet treatment and the have access to food and water .

I don't know where this particular groomer is from the uk , but it absolutely shocked me that he offers a single wing wing clip. He hasn't replied to my comment sadly but I hope I've made him rethink the 1 wing clip.

Edit :after some digging I found he was in fact from the uk

Last edited:

Most Reactions