A strange comparison, but.. BH Pionus vs Blue Crown Conure?

Elysianblight

Mar 8, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Cypress (teal) and Citrine (green) - male american budgies, 7 months.
This is a long story and I don't want it to get confusing - so excuse the lack of excruciating detail here :)

Basically I'm on a (long) waiting list at an aviary to be notified if they have a BH Pionus hatchling available next year (just a notification, I am free to change my mind before then). Due to a communication mix up, I ended up talking to them about Blue Crown Conures - and now I've fallen in love with those guys too. The aviary is now going to notify about both - whatever becomes available. I have plenty of time to think.

Technically my bf and I are open to *any* species. We have discussed the pros and cons of each extensively. There are things we like alot about Pionus, Greys, Amazons.. and now the BCC. There are very different challenges with each but we are adaptable. We are just taking our time, seeing what comes our way (yes we are in touch with rescue as well) and what really clicks.

But in the meantime - oh goodness. Does anyone actually have experience with both a BCC and a Pionus (any sub species)? Which did you prefer, and why?
I know the Pionus are going to generally be a lot quieter, and somewhat "slower". I know a Conure is busy busy busy and gets loud.

I wonder if a Conure is going to be more likely to want to be around my budgies (precautions will be taken, don't want any attacks or bitten toes) than to play with us people?

I imagine a Pionus has more likely hood of sitting around with us, just chilling, while the budgies do their busy budgie things..

But I imagine the BCC would entertain us more and be delightful to watch.

I am so torn on what I would say if the aviary called me about either one!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
We have very few Pionus owners here. Pionus as a companion bird have been on the decline for years.

So you’d get a “sitter” with both. Most parrots in general just want to sit with you.

Pionus often have amazon-like suites of behaviors. So everything with amazon, cautiously apply to Pionus.

The conure is your typical aratinga. Loud, busy, and quite likely to be a one person bird. Conures are basically macaws in small packages.

You can’t say “this species” or “that species” would tolerate the budgies. You can’t even generalize. It’s wholly up to the individual bird.

OP
E

Elysianblight

Mar 8, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Cypress (teal) and Citrine (green) - male american budgies, 7 months.
Thank you!

The more I look into it, the more I am really excited about the idea of a BCC.
I had crossed conures off my list but I was basing that on suns and green cheeks - I wanted something a bit bigger and even though parts of their personality were really tempting, the birds themselves just never made me go "ohhh!".
Totally different when I looked up the Blue Crown.

I think I'd be genuinely happy with either one so we're just going to see what comes up first :)
I'd enjoy sitting quietly with a Pionus, but I'd love watching a BCC get into stuff too. Either one will be appropriate size for the cage I'm setting up.

Last edited:

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
I have a green cheek conure and a white capped pionus, and was the designated birdsitter for a BCC for a few years. They are both delightful birds, but I'm most familiar with pionus (they've become my very favorite bird), so I'll share a little what it's like living with one.

My pionus girl is very acrobatic, loves to fly, hang upside down, take super splashy showers, and viciously beats up toys. She's a pretty good hang out bird, on the shoulder (I trust her, and she is very easy to read), the back of a chair, or a tree closeby and knows how to self entertain. She takes a harness easily and loves going on hikes, and isn't as spooky as my conure is outside. And she loves to be NUMBER ONE!

Blue Crowns are very smart! In a communicative way especially, and very gregarious and sometimes bossy. They do very "human" things. My pi is more "wild bird", in that, if she hasn't interacted with a person she was friends with for a long time, she is wary of them when she sees them again. They tend to be more reserved. She makes friends with people quickly though, and will follow you around if you're her favorite. And she's devious and mechanically smart, and knows how to open cage door locks and D rings...

My pi has learned to be snuggly, but not in the same way as conures (it seems like more of a natural behavior for them). She does not want to have her body confined in any way, or held. She'll sit with me and lean her wing against my hand on one side only sometimes. More often, she puffs up and will push her head into my hand, or cheek, or nose and want me to snuggle and pet her head/neck/chin/shoulders -- she'll do this for hours when in the mood, and it's the best feeling in the world!

They are both really wonderful species and companions. How exciting for you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts