A strange sound.

AceDRoger

Feb 8, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Hello every one and thank you in advance.
I have three questions:
1- in one of the videos you can hear a sound he/she is making from her/his nose. i want to know the meaning of is something i should worry about? is it hormonal thing developed toward me because he/she starts doing this sound whenever I touch or climb on my shoulder.
2- can we tell the age ? they told me it is about 4-5 years. i want to make sure so I can start counting right.
3- is possible to tell the gender or i have to do a DNA test knowing that this option is not available in my country as we have only one center that was destroyed by the earthquake happened 2 days ago (in Syria).

thanks once again.

Attachments

• IMG_20230207_175416.jpg
    IMG_20230207_175416.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230207_175426.jpg
    IMG_20230207_175426.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20230207_175429.jpg
    IMG_20230207_175429.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20230207_175430.jpg
    IMG_20230207_175430.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 60
  • VID_20230207_175436_x264.mp4
    886.2 KB
  • Video1.mp4
    886.2 KB
  • Video with the strange sound.mp4
    812.4 KB
Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
unfortunately still pictures don't convey sound very well ;)

Once an African grey goes from baby to young adult I know of no way to really tell age. When they are babies their eyes are black. Don't know at what point they change color but it's within 1 year for sure.

I have read that gender can be determined by looking closely at the coloration of the underside of the wing. I don't know if it's true. Our African grey laid an egg so we didn't need a DNA test.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
That earthquake was truly horrible, I pray for the survivors and glad you made it through.

OP
A

AceDRoger

Feb 8, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
unfortunately still pictures don't convey sound very well ;)

Once an African grey goes from baby to young adult I know of no way to really tell age. When they are babies their eyes are black. Don't know at what point they change color but it's within 1 year for sure.

I have read that gender can be determined by looking closely at the coloration of the underside of the wing. I don't know if it's true. Our African grey laid an egg so we didn't need a DNA test.
ty for the reply but please notice that i uploaded 2 videos one of them has the sound making. please take one more look at the attachment. i changed the name of the files.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
thank you for your words. hope you won't have to fell the same ever. that we felt during the shaking of our bed.
Yes I do believe that is a hormonal parrot.
There is an African Grey on YouTube (look for Apollo and friends) that exhibits the same behavior.
Based On that my guess is your bird is male.
My African Grey is Female and has never made that noise even when she was going throug puberty.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
thank you for your words. hope you won't have to fell the same ever. that we felt during the shaking of our bed.
Unfortunately I think it’s only a mater of time.
If live just miles away from the San Andreas fault.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Oh boy! I haven't heard anything like that from my grey yet, but I'm quite familiar with similar sounds from amazons, and it's pretty obviously the same kind of thing. In my house, we call it "gettin'fluffy" and it's in preparation of, or during them trying to "have their way" with you. My first zon LOVED my wife, and he'd try to sit on her shoulder and molest her hair. It's funny ONCE, until you realize what's going on. Then, not so much.

I suspect your grey is in the throws of a hormonal season. Do your best not to encourage it, as it only proves frustrating for them. You're not another bird, and you can't satisfy that particular itch.

OP
A

AceDRoger

Feb 8, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Oh boy! I haven't heard anything like that from my grey yet, but I'm quite familiar with similar sounds from amazons, and it's pretty obviously the same kind of thing. In my house, we call it "gettin'fluffy" and it's in preparation of, or during them trying to "have their way" with you. My first zon LOVED my wife, and he'd try to sit on her shoulder and molest her hair. It's funny ONCE, until you realize what's going on. Then, not so much.

I suspect your grey is in the throws of a hormonal season. Do your best not to encourage it, as it only proves frustrating for them. You're not another bird, and you can't satisfy that particular itch.
mmm, interesting .. so that means he or she is trusting me. well that is a good thing after all.

OP
A

AceDRoger

Feb 8, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
There is an African Grey on YouTube (look for Apollo and friends) that exhibits the same behavior.
My African Grey is Female and has never made that noise even when she was going throug puberty.
Apollo and friends, noted.. will you hint me the name of the video i just took a look at the channel and there where like too much videos in the channel to search in.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Apollo and friends, noted.. will you hint me the name of the video i just took a look at the channel and there where like too much videos in the channel to search in.
I have not found the video that he is making the same noise but here are two videos if behavior (body language) that is similar.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
mmm, interesting .. so that means he or she is trusting me. well that is a good thing after all.
Trusting, yes I suppose, but seeing you as their mate can become problematic, as humans can't satisfy THOSE needs and it can lead to a frustrated birdie.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My sympathies. I know how horrible that shaking feels! I was living in Malibu CA in January 1994 for the Northridge quake and had just lost my house in a November 1993 wildfire.

Kikumpenzi

Jan 11, 2023
Parrots
I have two African greys, both adopted from troubled homes
My AG does the same thing. I call it happy crying. She usually does it when she feels bonded to me, usually after we do her tricks. I think it is a hormonal behaviour and sometimes can be brought on by stroking areas that are sexual to them (wings, back). You should really only ever touch their head. If it is not brought on by that and just feeling bonded, I don’t see the issue as long as you are ready to take on the work that comes with having a bird see you as it’s mate.

fl1ck

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
African silver grey x2
Hello every one and thank you in advance.
I have three questions:
1- in one of the videos you can hear a sound he/she is making from her/his nose. i want to know the meaning of is something i should worry about? is it hormonal thing developed toward me because he/she starts doing this sound whenever I touch or climb on my shoulder.
2- can we tell the age ? they told me it is about 4-5 years. i want to make sure so I can start counting right.
3- is possible to tell the gender or i have to do a DNA test knowing that this option is not available in my country as we have only one center that was destroyed by the earthquake happened 2 days ago (in Syria).

thanks once again.
that noise the bird makes indicates that the bird looks on you as part of the flock
it droops its wings down as if to indicate that its wounded and regurgitates food for you
lol
mine just did it to me as i was cleaning out the Avery
just indicates that the bird loves you and you are part of their flock
i have 2 African silver grey both about 20 years old
lucky (pic 3) is the one that has made me its partner and part of the flock lol
George (pic 2) is not so friendly and will still have a go at biting me

Attachments

• 20221201_090303.jpg
    20221201_090303.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221201_090320.jpg
    20221201_090320.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20221201_090312.jpg
    20221201_090312.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

junior98

Oct 17, 2022
New England
Parrots
1998 senegal parrot
That's what my bird makes before he starts humping my arm. !!! It's been some time since he's done it.. but it sure sounds like it and the way the wings droop a little... he wants to mate with you. is it a male bird? ;)

fl1ck

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
African silver grey x2
That's what my bird makes before he starts humping my arm. !!! It's been some time since he's done it.. but it sure sounds like it and the way the wings droop a little... he wants to mate with you. is it a male bird? ;)
as far as i know its a male bird
i was given them in November as the couple that had them were splitting up
so im still learning about them myself
but from what ive been told
my one dont try and hump my arm
but he has regurgitated food for me

mattwang1990

Aug 29, 2021
Parrots
Parakeet
Hi, I have been wondering the impact puberty has on grey's personality. Is there a generalized personality difference in grey's personality based on their gender?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Well for us it was at that point Bella chose her Human (my wife).
She did not become mean or start attacking other family members, she just stopped accepting scratches and sitting with anyone but my wife.

It’s still early days with Bella. We got her at the end of 2016 something less than a year old.

Most Reactions

Latest posts