LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It's still REALLY hard to get video of Lovejoy in the bath cos he's so quick, but I am happy to report that he's gone from being quite the aquaphobe to happily dunking himself at least once, and often twice per day!! I did at least get a cute vid of him and Val after his bath, Val is always on hand to help out with dry off and preening - they are just so outrageously cute together!! 😍😍😍

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It's still REALLY hard to get video of Lovejoy in the bath cos he's so quick, but I am happy to report that he's gone from being quite the aquaphobe to happily dunking himself at least once, and often twice per day!! I did at least get a cute vid of him and Val after his bath, Val is always on hand to help out with dry off and preening - they are just so outrageously cute together!! 😍😍😍

Happiness is a soggy birdie! I love how Val just warbles away in his ear like he's telling him how to properly preen after his bath!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Nothing like using one's foot to point to the spot that your buddy has missed!
Tee hee!! πŸ˜„ Maybe that's why Lovejoy ended up having to take TWO baths yesterday!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
A little gratuitous photo spam from today's events :)

We started out with breakfast, supplemented with some grevillea flowers for a little natural forage and fun ...

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_E0649.JPG

.... followed by a little butt-feathering aimed directly at me, cos why not?!

IMG_E0648.JPG

It was AWFULLY hot here in Brisbane today, 35C for those Celsius-ly inclined, 95 for all you Fahrenheiters. I desperately wanted to give the 'tiels a shower with the mist bottle since they don't like to bathe in the water dishes, but didn't want to start misting until Lovejoy had been for a dunking in the bath, since he HATES the mist bottle and the mere sight of it can put him off bathing altogether. Finally around lunch time he took the plunge, meaning everyone else could get a shower, which they all went crazy for!

First Jem, always very enthusiastic!

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

And Fang, similarly bottoms up!!

IMG_E0674.JPG

IMG_E0672.JPG

Val loves the mist shower too, you'll just have to trust me that he does although he looks less than impressed in this pic!

IMG_0676.JPG

And after all the bath time shenanigans were over, Lovejoy and Val got together for their regular post-bath preening session ...

IMG_E0657.JPG

IMG_E0677.JPG

And one imagines they'll probably repeat the performance tomorrow, cos it's gonna be another scorcher in Briz Vegas!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Awwwww! Is there anything cuter than happy wet birdies? ❀️❀️❀️
As far as those of us in the PF universe are concerned - probably not 😍πŸ₯°

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
How cute!!! They all look so happy! I love those spread out wings for the mist bath. And wow that is a hot day! It's still cold here but I'm not looking forward to the 90 degree summers that will come later.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Val looks like one big budgie!
Val is indeed one very hefty budgie, perhaps he looks even more so up against Lovejoy, who is after all a very tiny lorikeet!

How cute!!! They all look so happy! I love those spread out wings for the mist bath. And wow that is a hot day! It's still cold here but I'm not looking forward to the 90 degree summers that will come later.
The 'tiels do both enjoy almost turning themselves inside out for that shower, they want to make sure I hit every little nook and cranny on a hot day like that!

The heat doesn't really bother me so much, if it nudges further up towards the 40C range it gets pretty uncomfortable, but it's the humidity that REALLY saps the energy. There's something about Fang though, for some reason he *always* seems to seek out the hottest part of the house and will sit there for ages just sweating it out - idk why, maybe he thinks it's his own private sauna or something! πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Val is indeed one very hefty budgie, perhaps he looks even more so up against Lovejoy, who is after all a very tiny lorikeet!

The 'tiels do both enjoy almost turning themselves inside out for that shower, they want to make sure I hit every little nook and cranny on a hot day like that!

The heat doesn't really bother me so much, if it nudges further up towards the 40C range it gets pretty uncomfortable, but it's the humidity that REALLY saps the energy. There's something about Fang though, for some reason he *always* seems to seek out the hottest part of the house and will sit there for ages just sweating it out - idk why, maybe he thinks it's his own private sauna or something! πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
Don't you have air-conditioning?

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
We do, but because of where our house is situated, in the northern suburbs and perched up on a hill we catch whatever sea breezes are coming in from Moreton Bay, so we only really need to run it if it pushes up into the high 30s and 40s, and thankfully that is rare :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I knew he was gonna get even more handsome, but he'd downright irresistible now!! :love:

Oh Mr Uncle Boats, he's got attitude and sass to burn alright. This was him a few days ago "helping" his dad on his computer. He likes to "help" me on mine too, sometimes by jumping on the "send" button before I'm actually finished writing stuff. I guess he figures, "ok, you're done with that RIGHT NOW, come and play with meeeeeee!!!"

This is so precious! The way Lovejoy hops is absolutely adorable.
May I throw my hat into the ring to be his American in Canada Auntie? Have bribes, will travel:)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
This is so precious! They way Lovejoy hops is absolutely adorable.
May I throw my hat into the ring to be his American in Canada Auntie? Have bribes, will travel:)
Of course, there's more than enough high octane lorikeet hyper-ness to go around :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, it appears that it could become really intense being bestowed extended family status of Lovejoy! LOL

Julio wants his shower very early, like just as the early rays of Sunshine blesses his favorite morning perch. Spoiled, naw he just want to look really good prior to the walkers waving him a Good Morning!! Well at least on those days that it is even possible (blowing snow, etc.). We are several months from those warm days.

Family shower time based around Lovejoy's schedule. Hmmm, yes, I know he is a star, but will there be animosity building among the other residences !?!?

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Well, it appears that it could become really intense being bestowed extended family status of Lovejoy! LOL

Julio wants his shower very early, like just as the early rays of Sunshine blesses his favorite morning perch. Spoiled, naw he just want to look really good prior to the walkers waving him a Good Morning!! Well at least on those days that it is even possible (blowing snow, etc.). We are several months from those warm days.

Family shower time based around Lovejoy's schedule. Hmmm, yes, I know he is a star, but will there be animosity building among the other residences !?!?
Well it's interesting. It's every bit as hot today as yesterday and nobody really seemed all that interested in having a bath, not even Jem who is normally mad keen. Even Lovejoy didn't throw himself in the water dish until about half an hour ago, and I tried the mist bottle with the rest of 'em and ..... no interest. So as we say in Queensland, the answer is a pineapple! 🍍

The one big schedule that DOES most certainly revolve around Himself however is pre-bedtime snuggle time. It has to be seen to be believed - every evening Lovejoy will land on a specific light fitting just on sunset and regard my long-suffering husband with a disapproving eye, leaving hubby in absolutely no doubt that he's been given his marching orders and needs to leave the room so that snuggle time can commence!! And I have to make sure that our dinner time fits into that schedule too. Actually I feel really bad because we're going out tonight, which we hardly EVER do, and we're gonna miss snuggle time altogether :eek:, I'll probably pay for it with a little biteyness in the morning!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You Missed Snuggle Time!!
You were lucky he didn't change the door lock! Likely because he figured you are needed to provide morning meal!!
Hmmm, wonder if they are predicting a weather change! With the way our Weather Guessers are doing this year, I would be more likely to believe your Birds!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
You Missed Snuggle Time!!
You were lucky he didn't change the door lock! Likely because he figured you are needed to provide morning meal!!
Hmmm, wonder if they are predicting a weather change! With the way our Weather Guessers are doing this year, I would be more likely to believe your Birds!
I know!!! And I was late with his breakfast this morning too - SCANDALOUS!!!!!

No sign of a weather change just yet, summer is "officially" over but it usually does hang around here in the sub-tropics until April. At least here we know what to expect from one day to the next for months on end, unlike places such as Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth where temps vary wildly depending on whether the wind is blowing from the Antarctic or from the inland deserts. Melbourne for example is going for 98F today and 70 tomorrow. They are lovely places to visit but I like my predictability and that would drive me nuts!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh that baby boy of mine is growing up so fast, and showing more of those behaviours that go along with .... ahem ... "maturity" :rolleyes: The snaky-neck that he shows in the first video in particular, very typical in his larger cousins and seemingly in little Varied roosters too, it sure is a good indicator of things to come!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand anotheree, because I just can't get enough of how cute he and Val are together πŸ’–πŸ’–

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP