LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Did I hear a bit of canary trill behind lovejoy’s singing or is that all him?

Yes he does sing very prettily (whether accompanied by a canary or not). He reminds me a bit of budgie or male cockatiel singing. Lovely!
There's no canary, it's 98% him with just a chirp or two by Val the budgie and a butcherbird from outside thrown in, but he often does sound quite budgie-like. He's out there in the bird room trilling up a storm right now too. I'm just astonished because I've never heard a lorikeet "sing" before, and I think I'll be getting it in stereo pretty soon cos Val is already starting to imitate him!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There's no canary, it's 98% him with just a chirp or two by Val the budgie and a butcherbird from outside thrown in, but he often does sound quite budgie-like. He's out there in the bird room trilling up a storm right now too. I'm just astonished because I've never heard a lorikeet "sing" before, and I think I'll be getting it in stereo pretty soon cos Val is already starting to imitate him!
Well, I heard a few whistled trills from a softbill. Maybe that was the butcher bird. And did hear a bit from the budgie but lots from lovejoy! What a little jewel!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I love a noise, active Parrot as it is such a clear statement of their health!! Lovejoy, clearly is one very happy /Healthy boy!!
He certainly seems to be that, Mr Boats! And I love that he's become the poster boy for the Henfolk down at the Amsterdam MY-N Hangars too! Perhaps when he gets a little older there might be an opportunity at Yellow Nape Law where a handsome and enterprising young recruit such as Lovejoy can make his mark! 🀩

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Thank you to all of Lovejoy's new aunties and uncles for your very kind and warm welcomes! Lovejoy and I have just spent the last almost 2 hours in a MASSIVE post-breakfast snuggle/preen/tweet/beak grind/scritch fest and I was perfectly happy to let him sit there and take advantage of me for SO long that my arm went to sleep!! He's just such a happy baby birdie! πŸ’–

And yes, @Laurasea, I did think of you and your precious Neptune quite a bit during this whole process, how much of a heart-and-soul bird he was for you, just as my Lilly was for me. Even though Lovejoy is certainly not a ghost of Lilly, and according to my bird vet who used to breed varieds himself, they are a totally different personality type to purple crowns, it almost feels as though I have my Lilly back in Lovejoy. Not replacing her, nobirdy ever could do that, but actually having her back, that's how much of her spirit is present in him, and always will be in my heart and in this house where *everything* revolved around her. It's hard to explain in words, it has to be felt with the heart. But when it's right, it's right, and I know that everyone who has commented on this thread so far understands that feeling very well. πŸ’ž

Anyhow, as per the request for more pics, by way of illustration as to just how tiny Lovejoy is, I got a snap of him with Val. I do think he's got a little more growing to do yet, and Val is a pretty big budgie, but he is TINY!! And oh, what a sweet singing voice he has too, I'm still working on getting some audio as he seems to be a little camera shy when it comes to recording vocals. I don't know if it's a Varied thing or a Lovejoy thing, but he sings like a little angel, and I've never heard another lorikeet sing this way. Not surprising really, cos that's exactly what he is :love:βœ¨πŸ’–
View attachment 44525
Oh my gosh! What a cutie!!!

He is also VERY SMOL

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
When Yellow-Nape Law comes back online, I am certain there will be a position for an industrious young rooster with royal ties, after all, business has been growing in his region.
Oh that’s AWESOME news Mr Boats! I may of course be biased, but I think young Lovejoy would be an ideal recruit, with great aptitude for a role at YNL. He’s very smart, enthusiastic, adventurous, energetic, self-motivated, creative, and ooooohhhh so handsome and charming! Qualities he gets, by the way, from his dadda’s side of the family! ;)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
COngrats, he is very cute! I slowed the video down, to look at his wings during his little hops - it only takes a wing beat or two to hop-flap from point to point. Very cool.
Oh Master Wrench, thank you, he is awfully cute, but he's a little heartbreaker already! We generally have a nice snuggle just before his bedtime every day, and the last few days when I have to finally put him to bed, he gives me *such* a look that says "Mummy, please don't cage me, I thought you looooooooooooved meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee πŸ’”πŸ’”πŸ’”!!!!" And then makes just the most plaintive and pitiful "peep" noises at me when I cover the cage - it literally makes me cry!!! I know I'm being played, but oh, the absolute heartache of it!!! 😭

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Well, they're not quite the bestest of little buddies just yet, Val is still a bit wary, but they've become a lot closer in the last few days. All the singing in this video is Val the budgie - they are just SO darned cute when they do get it together! 😍

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Some pics from this morning - a riot of colour in the morning sun with his flowers!

06E7340E-D0D0-4C88-BE5D-77CB0430A3A3.jpeg
B048827C-E299-4ADF-B586-80B8681143BA.jpeg

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh wow! Gorgeous little boy :)
Oh he is, and he's out there singing up a storm too, he's full of the joys of Spring right now!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Tee hee, I left the room for like 2 minutes, came back and he’s all wet! I’ve misted him previously, which he really didn't like, and he’s never had a bath himself before as he’s been a bit of an aquaphobe so he may have fallen in involuntary - I hope he discovers how much fun bath time is!
A3CDFE33-956E-4277-B686-CD8998446AF0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
That doesn't look like "accidentally fell in" to me. Maybe he just wanted a little privacy ;)
The little toad, wish I'd seen it, it would've been so cute!! :love:

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I have to agree, looks more intentional as way too wet to have slipped while getting a quick drink.
Well Mr Boats, today was the warmest day we’ve had since we got him and summer is just around the corner, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he did take the plunge. I had actually been planning on giving him a misting today but it seems that he beat me to it!

Most Reactions

Latest posts