LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Lovejoy has been muscling in on Jem’s territory lately, namely their dad, and in typical lorikeet fashion he does not take a backward step. He’s flying SO much better now too so there’s nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide any more ☺️
DF32B5FA-53B9-40E1-9830-97A9BD152A2E.jpeg
E7F2C2EA-B174-4A03-B9F6-5855F0A2FB71.jpeg

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Mr Boats it was just so cute the way he dabbled his tiny toesies in the water! :love: Hopefully he'll go for the full body dunk when the weather warms up a bit (y)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh poor Val! He's going through a VERY heavy moult - he's looking pretty rough around the edges and is a bit grumpy right now too. He even lost both of his long tail feathers so he's also got a whole stumpy tailed thing going on too. Grumpy and stumpy, that's Val at the moment! But he still sings ever so sweetly, and when the two of them sing together it's a beautiful thing 💖

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So is Val an English budgie? Lovejoy looks the same size, is he actually the size of an australian budgie.
What's a Varied lorikeet average weight?

Sorry for the questions, lol, just curious 😊

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
So is Val an English budgie? Lovejoy looks the same size, is he actually the size of an australian budgie.

Answer:
1666717954637.png

Oh poor Val! He's going through a VERY heavy moult - he's looking pretty rough around the edges and is a bit grumpy right now too. He even lost both of his long tail feathers so he's also got a whole stumpy tailed thing going on too. Grumpy and stumpy, that's Val at the moment! But he still sings ever so sweetly, and when the two of them sing together it's a beautiful thing 💖
Don't worry Val, your cousin Zenek has a heavy molting too - now a bit less but not far ago I could see his naked skin between his pin feathers

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Good that they are sharing 'Dad' and not fighting over him. That likely is one of the underling reasons for the developing relationship. Then, you have the win, win approach that Lovejoy is using to win everyone over.

Julio is showing all the signs of a full-out molt just around the corner as the weather and Sun continue their transition to Winter in the Great White North. It will be interesting to see if Julio turns the indoors white, before Mother Nature turns the outdoors white!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots

To be honest we're really not sure of Val's lineage. We got him from a local pet shop a few years ago when we were looking for a little pal for Lilly the purple crown at the time. We had had another purple crown/budgie combo back in the 1990s and they were bestest little buddies. But that lorikeet was a rooster and we figured with Lilly being a feisty little hen we'd better get the heftiest budgie we could find, and that was Val! It turned out that Lilly really was not going to play nice with him at all. I do think that Val is treading with some caution cos he remembers Lilly's lousy attitude, but as my avian vet told me, varieds in general have MUCH better manners than purple crowns so happily these two are proving to be much more compatible :)

Looks like @Rozalka beat me to the punch with the specs on Lovejoy's species - he hasn't been weighed since he was at the vet's for his wellness check but I suspect he's reached his cruising weight already. I'm not sure he'll get much bigger, I get the feeling that the remainder of his 19cm length will be made up by adult tail feathers when he grows them in :)

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Good that they are sharing 'Dad' and not fighting over him. That likely is one of the underling reasons for the developing relationship. Then, you have the win, win approach that Lovejoy is using to win everyone over.

Julio is showing all the signs of a full-out molt just around the corner as the weather and Sun continue their transition to Winter in the Great White North. It will be interesting to see if Julio turns the indoors white, before Mother Nature turns the outdoors white!
Oh Mr Boats, those pics with Dad were taken during a rare moment of detente between Lovejoy and Jem. Lovejoy really doesn't like Jem very much, and despite being a third of his size he generally zooms over to tell Jem to push off if he sees him land on either me or his dad! So far, Lovejoy's attitude towards the rest of the flock is MUCH better than that little terrorist Lilly's was but there's just something about Jem that he doesn't like - I guess you can't win 'em all :rolleyes:

Poor Val, seriously he's lost so many feathers this time around I could have used them to make another bird. Maybe it's an indication we're in for a hot and humid summer and he felt the need to disrobe a bit. If HRH Julio loses anything like the same proportion of plumage you'll have yourself an indoor snow storm for sure!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Well it's been a big morning for Lovejoy! He's finally getting more accustomed to having a bath although getting video of that is still pretty much impossible unfortunately. You'll just have to take my word for it that it's stinkin' cute! He got some fresh grevillea flowers for the first time in probably a week too, and an added benefit of that is that when he eats them he smells as sweet as they do 💖

E9CC4D6B-D746-49A1-BEB8-51AD4D962F81.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Julio, stops all activities when the phone appears and sounds like HRH Lovejoy has adopted the same response!
Oh yes he most certainly does, Mr Sailboat! Absolutely pointless trying to get video of him in the bath, and the following is what usually happens when I try to get some footage of him and Val playing together - he does LOVE that camera!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Lovejoy says to say "Thank you @Inko-ai, you're very kind!" Jem the cockatiel however says to say "You don't know that little terrorist very well, do you?!"

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Uncle Steven, I imagine if Julio crashed into you like that you might require a stitch or several!

With great luck it's more a face full of feathers and a full-on Amazon wing hug. But it is on the smack side of a hug as his landing target is the phone and I am a bit behind it so the claws are down as he tries to lift-out for another attempt. Generally, I get one of those looks: "What, your not smart enough to move!!"

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts