A tale of two senior Goffins

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've had Peanut and Popcorn, a pair of wild-caught Goffins since 1987. They were owned by the selling family for 12 years, and were represented as adults when first obtained. They are at least mid forties.

We equipped them with a nest box for breeding but were dormant for eight years. Between 1995 and 1998 they had three offspring, now beloved companions in my home. By 2007, male aggression led to Popcorn attacking Peanut, leaving her face scarred with a few missing feathers. They were separated for a year, and cautiously re-introduced. No better luck, and at the first sign of dispute they were granted a divorce!

Peanut: She was placed in a smallish cage for several months and responded well to handling. I had the notion Peanut would do well in the bird-room with two of her offspring, a M2, TAG, and Citron. She was well accepted in that room, where nobody is ever caged. Peanut is especially close to her sons Abby and Squeaky. Gabby, the first-born Goffin, does not get along with anybody but Squeaky and is housed in the family room and sleep cage in my bedroom. For a wild caught hen, she has tamed beautifully, loves to cuddle and stand on my shoulder. Unlike her highly spoiled brats, Peanut has *never* bitten!

Popcorn: Wound up in a large flight cage in the finished garage, adjacent to Alice, my sole surviving Citron. He chose not to fully tame, but allows head scratches and gently accepts food by hand. Popcorn is out of the cage a good part of the day, and generally stays on the roof of his or Alice's cage. I had a hunch he and Alice might be friendly, but the size differential was worrying. Last month I finally turned them loose, and found them to be well suited. A minor dust-up early, but now peaceable. Unfortunately the two roam the garage, likely in search of a suitable nest. Consequently, the together time is restricted to Popcorn's cage. They are separated when nobody is at home or at night, though I am considering housing them together permanently. Just need a bit more time to observe!

I firmly believe cockatoos are best in pairs or flocks. Extremely sociable parrots, a substitute of similar sized species or loving parronts is acceptable.

Both are healthy and robust, each has had a single infectious illness over the years.

Peanut (L) Popcorn (R) in the late 1990s.
TgXGGCQ.jpg

Squeaky, Gabby, Abby as young adults. Could not do this today!
Te2ZZ10.jpg

Peanut, this year, flanked by Abby and Squeaky
s6jojQx.jpg

Alice and Popcorn, finally together!
1qL05Re.jpg

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Wow, they are beautiful! So neat that they've been with you for so many years.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What a wonderful story of your many many cockatoos! Sounds like Peanut and Popcorn are still in excellent health for their ages too. Are the your oldest birds then?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Scott, I so love hearing about your flock! To think that you have had Popcorn & Peanut since 1987 is amazing, and a testament to the wonderful care you give your babies.

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

What a wonderful story of your many many cockatoos! Sounds like Peanut and Popcorn are still in excellent health for their ages too. Are the your oldest birds then?

Almost certainly the oldest. Gonzo the BFA was first, purchased in 1984, but was most likely in the range of 2 to 5 years. Not sure about Alice the Citron, believe we got her +- a year or so from the Goffins. She was represented as having been born in captivity likely early 1980s.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I love this, LOVELOVE this!

My friend, you are blessed with a great abundance of 'Toos! I wonder what it's like to have all those intelligent, inquisitive, adorable, beady little eyes on you. So much love in this thread. Those birds look absolutely conspiratorial when they're together, especially Alice and Popcorn.

Thanks for this.

So they've been through the fabulous 70s, big hair eighties, grungy nineties, the millenial thing, and still goin' strong. It boggles my mind to think back on all those years, and how long they've been around. Then again, so have we, my friend, even longer in my case!

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Blessed indeed, Gail! I had no clue those two wild-caught Goffins would multiply and bring so much love and joy.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The combination of History and Photos develop a wonder travel log. Thank-you, for that trip. It is enjoyable, truly enjoyable.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Team Alice x Popcorn!! I hope they end up pairing, would be an interesting hybrid offspring, one I have not seen before.

Thanks for sharing!

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Wow, brother, that's an impressive flock. The white feathers really show off peak condition.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
In their 40's and going strong! What a beautiful family they make. A testament to the excellent care you take of them, brother. Thanks for sharing their tale.

OP
Scott

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thanks everybody for the kind comments! I try my best, but believe they have very good genetics! To be continued!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts