A Tribute to Little Eight

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Eight is my beautiful gray-blue parakeet. I met him when I visited a mom and pop pet store who sometimes had birds for adoption. I was looking for a budgie to adopt. They had none at the time, only ones for sale. I hung around inside the store for a good while, thinking whether I should just purchase a budgie instead. As I interacted with the rescued, bigger parrots out on the floor, the owner came up to me and said that she may have a budgie for me. She took me to a small back room where all her breeders were. Up on the top shelf was a lone budgie in a small cage numbered ā€œ8.ā€ She said his mate passed away recently. He looked well, but was very small and nervous. She wasnā€™t sure how old he was but that said that he was in his twilight years. She was just going to give him to me without any adoption fee. I said I wanted to think about it. I wasnā€™t sure I wanted to get attached to a senior bird only to lose him to old age too soon. After more time spent on the sales floor and a long internal debate, I decided to adopt him. I wanted to give him a nice, comfortable life in his last days. On the way out, I asked the shop owner what his name was and she said that heā€™s never had one. She asked me if I watched Stranger Things, I did. She recommended I named him Eight after his cage number. I thought that was perfect.

Eight settled in well at home. He was such a quiet bird but quite afraid of humans. He was a crazy flier and not in a good way. He had zero control and was always panic flying, running into walls and always crash landing that I was worried heā€™d get injured. He loved millet but eventually learned to curiously sample chop mix. My proudest moment was having him fly to the flock on the bedroom standing perch. I took a photo of that moment which Iā€™m sharing below. My other parakeet, Pewpew liked him a lot. Iā€™d sometimes catch them grooming each other, something Pewpew never did with my deceased budgie, Kiki. Together, they made a quiet, relaxed, cozy pair.

Eight passed away Wednesday 12/19/18 at around 7:40 AM. I took him to see his avian vet on Monday 12/17/18 because he appeared very sick on Sunday, the day before. The vet diagnosed him with a septic infection and told me his chances of survival was very low. We were going to do our best to turn it around. He gave him 2 antibiotic injections - Doxycycline/Dex and another I donā€™t recognize labeled S.Q. - I.M. W/O V. I was also given Baytril which I am to orally administer to Eight with a syringe 2 times daily for 10 days. Since he was not eating or drinking on his own, Iā€™ve been syringe feeding him mushed roudybush pellets. Vet okayed it but said babyfood would go down easier and so I was instructed to feed him 3 times daily.

Eight was actively eating and his poop looked healthy before Sunday. Now looking back, in the weeks leading up to Sunday, I noticed that he was flying off his perch more and settling on the cage floor before flying back up. Some times when I uncover their cage in the morning, Iā€™d find that heā€™s slept on the floor or clung to the cage bar which heā€™s never done before. Heā€™d always fly back as soon as he saw me turn on the light. Heā€™s always been clumsy so I thought maybe it was arthritis catching up with him (he was a senior bird and it was getting colder). I wondered, since he was always running into walls, that maybe his eye sight was failing. I gave them more night light and it seemed to work for the most part. I didnā€™t see him on the cage floor as much anymore. This changed mid Sunday when he was not eating and seemed weaker and his flying was labored. By the afternoon, I moved him to my ā€œhospitalā€ carrier so he does not injure himself in the big cage until I can get him to the vet. I kept him comfortably close to a space heater and started syringe feeding him.

Although my vetā€™s prognosis was grim, I still came back from the visit on Monday feeling positive that Eight would pull through. Vet said that if he is still alive by Tuesday, his chances of survival may go up. He was alive Tuesday but continued to deteriorate, hardly even able to get up and basically falling on his side when he tried to walk. Still, I kept hoping heā€™d pull through. Iā€™ll leave out most of the details because itā€™s so hard for me and would only depress readers. Letā€™s just say Eight had a very strong will to live, but his body was failing fast. He was not able to properly poop so his vent got very soiled which I clean as best as I can. What got to me was that, despite being so weak, he still tried to eat millet when I placed it near him but would be so drained that heā€™d fall on top of it. I sang him his last lullaby on Tuesday 4 AM when I checked in on him. He was still alive when I fed and cleaned him at 7:10 AM on Wednesday. I talked to him and cupped him in my hands. He gave a sweet chirp before I nested him back on a freshly bedding a pile of millet sprays. He passed away peacefully at 7:40 AM.

Even though I only had him for about 6 months, I still bawled like a baby. I knew he wouldnā€™t be with us for very long but I thought I still had some years with him. I donā€™t think heā€™s ever had human affection before but I hope I was able to give him that. He liked being sung to and sweet talked. He would always grind his beak contentedly. I sang a lullaby to him and Pewpew every night before I turned the lights off. He would always grind his beak to this, comfortable on his chosen perch. In the last month of his life, I was happy that he has allowed me to rub his feet, his neck and beak.

I wanted to share my tribute to Eight. This little bird taught me about caring for someone in their last days and staying strong through the toughest and most heartbreaking moments. I buried him in my familyā€™s garden on a bad of millet sprays which he loved so much. Right beside Kiki. I hope he is flying free and chasing angels in the sky with Kiki. I love you, Eight. Thank you for spending some time with me and the flock. We will miss you.

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Well, you are not the only one in tears now.

I remember when you rescued that lonely little neglected bird- and you gave him so much! He has a great twilight season with you.

As much as those goodbyes hurt- you did something wonderfull for him.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
if only people could care as well for their elderly humans as well as you cared for 8. He had a great epilogue to his life with new friends and a calm loving retirement home.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What an absolutely beautiful tribute to Eight. You did such a wonderful thing for him, and it so touches my heart that the last 6 months of his life were spent being loved and cared for, and knowing what being a part of a family means. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Thank you for loving him and giving him a great home and flock. So sorry for your loss.

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
So sorry for your loss. You gave 8 something very special in his last 6 months. Love and a family.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your loss of Eight. He was a very special bird to adapt to you in his twilight years. Your magnificent tribute brought me tears, I am certain in time you will joyfully recall his sweet life.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you for giving eight a wonderful twilight home. Thank you for not judging him by his age. Sorry for your loss....I will miss eight as well :(

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I loved Eight's story, just loved it. Yeah, you were the best thing that ever happened to him, and you were wonderful to share it all with us. Imagine if he had had to depart while in that awful place. But you gave him love, and that's Eternal.
Be at peace, little Eight.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The Bridge welcomed him and he is probably telling all the other budgies about how well his human treated him.
I made a donation to the Cornell University vet program in 8's name, directing it to be used for parrot related studies and programs.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. You gave 8 the best life with you possible, even if it was short. After all his years, he finally got to feel the warmth and love of a family for the first time. Fly free, little Eight.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Eight was very lucky to have had such a good home and caregiver in his last months. Such a beautiful tribute for him. Iā€™m sad for you you though. They sure do touch our hearts in a big way. My deepest condolences to you.

OP
BoomBoom

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Friends, thank you so much for your words. They truly mean the world to me right now.

Wrench, I am deeply moved. Thank you very much for your donation in Eight's name. I wish he knew how much his life mattered, how it left a positive impact in the world and how many other people cared for him, besides me. This is one of the most meaningful and special Christmas gifts I've ever received.

What an awesome way to close the book of Eight. Thank you, everyone for helping me honor this wonderful creature. God bless you and your flock.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Iā€™m so very sorry. Little Eight was so lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Too many precious ones leaving us lately, it hurts so much to lose them whatever the circumstances. May your sweet soul fly free now little Eight.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Such a wonderfully fitting tribute to Eight. Thank you for sharing the sweet photos and thank you for giving an amazing little bird an amazing home in his senior years. I'm so sorry for your loss, these tiny creatures leave huge impressions in our hearts.

Fly free, Little One, you'll be forever missed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts