A very unusual question...

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Name: Climber, he climbs everything :3)
Blue Cinnamon Conure (he looks like a kiwi, so his name is Kiwi :3)
Painted Conure (Name: Rainbow! :3)
So, this is going to be a weird question (atleast that's what I think).
Is it anywhere dangerous (in terms of heath/behavioral etc.) feeding milk to weaned parrots?

Basically feeding a parrot milk formula (to feed u weaned parrots). Is it going to be dangerous if it's constantly being fed to a fully weaned parrot?
The weaned parrot still eats his solid food. I just want to know if it's dangerous to feed him like as if he wasn't weaned.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Don’t give ANY dairy to birds. They are lactose intolerant.

Bad, bad, bad idea.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Is it anywhere dangerous (in terms of heath/behavioral etc.) feeding milk to weaned parrots?

Basically feeding a parrot milk formula (to feed u weaned parrots). Is it going to be dangerous if it's constantly being fed to a fully weaned parrot?
The weaned parrot still eats his solid food. I just want to know if it's dangerous to feed him like as if he wasn't weaned.

What makes you think that parrots ever have milk in their diet? If raised by parrot parents they are fed food regurgitated from the parent's mouth. That food would be what is normally eaten by them. Do not feed any dairy at any time. Why do you want to?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
No No NO NO dairy to parrots at any time. Please do not do this. There are parrot weaning formulas available at pet stores, it is 100% not the same as baby formula.

OP
C

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots

What makes you think that parrots ever have milk in their diet? If raised by parrot parents they are fed food regurgitated from the parent's mouth. That food would be what is normally eaten by them. Do not feed any dairy at any time. Why do you want to?
But unweaned parrots that come from a bird shop usually take some sort of milk formula (something like exact feed https://www.ubuy.com.sg/catalog/product/view/id/8609633/s/kaytee-exact-handfeeding-baby-bird-7-5oz)
(did I just refer a handfeeding as milk... Just pardon me)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
They are not supposed to be consuming any milk or dairy- they are lactose intolerant.

The "formula" is called formula, but it doesn't contain actual milk (unlike human formula)--it is a specialized mix fed to baby parrots..NO similarity to human formula...other than the fact that human babies drink a human formula and baby parrots drink a parrot formula...

But the formula itself is totally different...

The actual definition of the word is just basically a mix or list of ingredients, and in the context of baby animals, it is a mix specific to that species' needs.

When weaning parrots, there is a point when they are eating a mix of foods and formula at the same time. Again, non-milk formula...a liquid mixture designed for baby parrots.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Here's the product description from the company:

KAYTEE® exact® Hand Feeding Baby Bird Formula is a nutritionally complete formula with high levels of nutrients. Known as the first and most widely used "instant" hand feeding formula, exact is made through a special process which produces a formula with low bacteria levels. It mixes with water and comes in two formulas - macaws and all other baby birds. This high nutrition formula helps baby birds grow faster, wean earlier and develop better, brighter plumage than similar birds fed with homemade formulas.
Ingredients: Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Oat Groats, Ground Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Corn Oil, Dried Whole Egg, Soy Protein Isolate, Dried Beet Pulp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Corn Sugar, Vitamin A Supplement, Salt, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Propionic Acid (a preservative), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Ferrous Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Oxide, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Dried A. oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Beta-Carotene, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Whey, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.)....22.0%
Crude Fat (min.)...........9.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).......5.0%
Moisture (max.)..........10.0%
Protease (min.)............0.2CSU (1)/gram
Amylase (min.)............0.4SLU (2)/gram
Total Bacillus Species ..250,000 CFU (4)/gram
(1) CSU - Casein Solubilization Units
(2) SLU - Starch Liquefying Units
(3) B. coagulans, B. licheniformis, B. subtilis
(4) CFU - Colony Forming Units
Size: 18 oz or 5 lbs

There's the website I pulled them from:https://www.petsmart.com/bird/food-... Corn Gluten,Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine,

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots

KAYTEE® exact® Hand Feeding Baby Bird Formula is a nutritionally complete formula with high levels of nutrients. Known as the first and most widely used "instant" hand feeding formula, exact is made through a special process which produces a formula with low bacteria levels. It mixes with water and comes in two formulas - macaws and all other baby birds. This high nutrition formula helps baby birds grow faster, wean earlier and develop better, brighter plumage than similar birds fed with homemade formulas.
Ingredients: Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Oat Groats, Ground Wheat, Wheat Middlings, Corn Oil, Dried Whole Egg, Soy Protein Isolate, Dried Beet Pulp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Corn Sugar, Vitamin A Supplement, Salt, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Propionic Acid (a preservative), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Ferrous Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Ethoxyquin (a preservative), Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Oxide, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of vitamin D3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Dried A. oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Beta-Carotene, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Whey, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:

There's the website I pulled them from:https://www.petsmart.com/bird/food-... Corn Gluten,Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine,

You got there ahead of me thank goodness! I do hope the mistake isn't already made.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Guaranteed Analysis:

You got there ahead of me thank goodness! I do hope the mistake isn't already made.

I will say, oddly enough, I did just notice "dried whey" in that list. It is towards the end (6th to last ingredient), so I am guessing the amounts are very low, but that is mildly concerning!

In case anyone reading this doesn't know, Ingredient statements always list the ingredients that are the largest/make up most of their product at the top. The last ingredient is the ingredient that contributes least to the overall product.

Last edited:
OP
C

Calorious

Apr 11, 2020
Singapore
Parrots

Guaranteed Analysis:

Well thank you everyone.
Guess I'm the dumb one here that referred milk as all types of baby food.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots

Guaranteed Analysis:

Well thank you everyone.
Guess I'm the dumb one here that referred milk as all types of baby food.

You're not dumb just learning like the rest of us. Just be careful to check everything on your journey through parronthood. It's overwhelming at first. At least you are in the right place to get the right answers.

Most Reactions