A young bully ringneck

gcpowell67

Sep 22, 2021
Parrots
2 male ringnecks
So I have 2 male ringnecks. One is 6 years old and the other is 6 months old. They are both free roaming birds, out of their cage all day. The older male is a sweet loving bird not a mean bone in his body. The younger male is a bully. He thinks everything is his. If the older male has something the younger will come over and basically just bully the other out of the way. The younger isnt necessarily mean but he opens his beak to tell older male to get out of the way. The older always backs away. How do I correct this bad behavior in the young male?? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
So I have 2 male ringnecks. One is 6 years old and the other is 6 months old. They are both free roaming birds, out of their cage all day. The older male is a sweet loving bird not a mean bone in his body. The younger male is a bully. He thinks everything is his. If the older male has something the younger will come over and basically just bully the other out of the way. The younger isnt necessarily mean but he opens his beak to tell older male to get out of the way. The older always backs away. How do I correct this bad behavior in the young male?? Any input is greatly appreciated!
Glad you detected this early before it turn into what you permit you promote. The earliest behavior correction is the easiest.

The way I see it is that this clever young is simply wondering, asking, and testing to find out his position in the pack. He intended No harm. He simply wants to know what is acceptable and what is not. And so it is up to you, observant LEADER, to intervene to shine some light.

Setup rules and degrees of disapproval on his bad behaviors, which you can be persistent on.

For example,
1 Command No
2 Command No with hand gesture
3 Command No with hand gesture and disapproval face for 1 or 2 minutes
4 put in another room and ignore for 10minutes

The important thing is to be persistent and to smile and love himafterwords as though nothing had happened. So that he knows that he is loved but certain act is not OK.

You will find him doing the same things 1-3times to see if he gets it right. Once he get the idea, which won't take long. You simply saying No or a disapprove face wil stop him in the middle of the act.

Good luck

OP
G

gcpowell67

Sep 22, 2021
Parrots
2 male ringnecks
Glad you detected this early before it turn into what you permit you promote. The earliest behavior correction is the easiest.

The way I see it is that this clever young is simply wondering, asking, and testing to find out his position in the pack. He intended No harm. He simply wants to know what is acceptable and what is not. And so it is up to you, observant LEADER, to intervene to shine some light.

Setup rules and degrees of disapproval on his bad behaviors, which you can be persistent on.

For example,
1 Command No
2 Command No with hand gesture
3 Command No with hand gesture and disapproval face for 1 or 2 minutes
4 put in another room and ignore for 10minutes

The important thing is to be persistent and to smile and love himafterwords as though nothing had happened. So that he knows that he is loved but certain act is not OK.

You will find him doing the same things 1-3times to see if he gets it right. Once he get the idea, which won't take long. You simply saying No or a disapprove face wil stop him in the middle of the act.

Good luck
Thank you I will try your advice... you are right though he is not a mean bird he is just testing what he can get away with

Most Reactions