Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Plucking, feather destruction, or worse yet, self mutilation. So many of us have had, or currently have birds with one or more of these issues. It's sad, frustrating, disheartening... Okay, sometimes it's downright heartbreaking for us as parronts as we search for answers.

My time with a half naked little boy, my best friend ever, left me with a soft spot in my heart for the plucked, barbered, and self mutilated, "less than perfect" parrots. While those who don't understand see those imperfections above everything else, and bypass an otherwise wonderful companion, I see a beautiful, maybe tortured little soul, deserving of unconditional love. Honestly, I don't even see those "imperfections" any more. I see the love in their eyes. I see the love in their hearts. They are special in their own way.

Eventually, many of us just accept that the behavior isn't going to change, for whatever reason, but still, we have those questions. The need to understand why. Since these things are so much more common than many like to admit, we thought it was about time to dedicate a separate forum to the subject.

This is a place for information, thoughts, and ideas about plucking, feather destruction, or self mutilation. It's also a place to share experiences with our feathered friends who exhibit any of those behaviors. Welcome to the world of the perfectly imperfect.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you to the mod team for making this sub-forum! This will be super useful to owners who have issues with pluckers, barberers etc
You're very welcome! We are so grateful that Admin granted the request and added the new forum:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
THanks for the effort Terry, this is a topic that a lot of parronts deal with. I wish that there was some basic research on the why of it, so help could be something concrete.
Sadly, there seems to be many causes, many of which have no answers at all.

All of the Mods and Admins made this forum a reality, and we hope it will help many birds and their parronts.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
You're very welcome! We are so grateful that Admin granted the request and added the new forum:)
1647266992016.jpeg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for creating this very specific Topic Forum!!

I had very good luck with older Amazon over the years that by changing their life, i.e. providing them a loving caring home and extensive medical care they had stopped plucking. Then Julio came into our life and as a result of three-surgeries to repair his rump. He developed plucking as a result of the scabbing of the surgery sites. The rest is history and today he is a tailless DYH Amazon, because he plucks any and all new rump feathers.

It is a journey that now has a home to be able to tell.

Again, Thank you!!

Last edited:

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Thank you for starting this. It will be nice to have somewhere to specifically go to read on this very subject. I find myself going through so many threads looking for specific things so I can learn more, or see what has helped others. Parrot diseases is another one I am constantly searching on as Nico has boronavirus. It's such a confusing thing to understand for a variety of reasons. Again thank you so much for starting this thread :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts