About wings.......?

Wozza

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks
About wings?
My Indian Ringneck has been out of the box now for 3 weeks.
It is in an Aviary, noticed when it came out it seemed to not have formed his left wing, it tries to fly in a fashion but spends most of its time on the floor, he can climb the wire cage.
Will the wing eventually grow or will it be just a cage climber and stay on the floor?
Also, has no claws?

Any help or suggestions.
Thanks, Wozza

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
hello and welcome!
im confused about the "noticed when it came out it seemed to not have formed his left wing" part
was he cliped?
pictures could help

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, Wozza.

By "out of the box" I presume you mean the breeding box? I am not a bird breeder myself, nor am I an avian vet - nobody here is. It does sound though that your young IRN may sadly have a deformity with it's wing of some sort. I would recommend that it would be important to have it assessed by a certified avian vet to determine whether it may eventually correct itself as you suggest, or if indeed it may be permanent. I imagine there would be risk of injury involved if it tried to fly if one wing is so much out of kilter. There may also be other underlying issues that your avian vet would be able to help you to assess and manage.

Understanding that I am not sure where in the world you are located and that avian vets are sometimes difficult to access, the following link may help you to find one...

Thank you for reaching out and I wish you and your IRN baby all the very best!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. I think 3 weeks is way too early for any chick to be in an aviary ( outdoor enclosure). This chick should still be in a heated (depending on where in the world you are) enclosure, and still be eating formula. And yeah I agree with our lovely, knowledgeable moderator, the chick should be seen by a Avian vet ( not a cat and dog one).

OP
W

Wozza

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks
hello and welcome!
im confused about the "noticed when it came out it seemed to not have formed his left wing" part
was he cliped?
pictures could help
Sorry for the confusion, he has not been clipped.
2.5x2.5x2mt high, the IRN aren’t hand reared, the wing does not seem to be fully formed (left Wing).. it tries to fly but only flies to the floor with a crash…not shore if it will keep growing? Also it doesn’t have any claw (nails) on his feet, he eats and the parent’s still feed him, he is about 4 weeks old.

Wozza

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome,
I hope you will share pictures.
It could be feathers haven't grown in completely, could be feathers are damaged or plucked on one wing, or could be injury or birth defects? Its hard to know with out seeing.

OP
W

Wozza

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks
I would like to get a Photo but, the parents go for me...lol
I can only get a photo of the bird in the aviary.

OP
W

Wozza

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks
hello and welcome!
was he cliped?
pictures could help
The best I can do without getting peck3d to death

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.09 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.09 pm.png
    484.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.19 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.19 pm.png
    488.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.27 pm.png
    430.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.36 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 3.28.36 pm.png
    444.1 KB · Views: 67

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Are you sure the parents didn't hurt the chick while nesting? Not only the wing is very odd (obviously issues with the primary feathers, hence it cannot fly), but the feet also. For the wing part I cannot say mich as it is hard to see while the wing is closed, but for sure there are some issues going there. As for the feet, I can see on one not only the claws missing but an entire digit as well. We cannot tell if it's a birth defect or the parent's doing as this was supposed to be monitored while the chick was still in the nest. Like this it is pure guessing. I honestly wouldn't keep the chick like that in the aviary, it can get it self hurt badly if it cannot fly. It should be removed from there and checked thoroughly and if possible with an avian vet - even if it means you get pecked to death by the parents.

OP
W

Wozza

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks
Are you sure the parents didn't hurt the chick while nesting? Not only the wing is very odd (obviously issues with the primary feathers, hence it cannot fly), but the feet also. For the wing part I cannot say mich as it is hard to see while the wing is closed, but for sure there are some issues going there. As for the feet, I can see on one not only the claws missing but an entire digit as well. We cannot tell if it's a birth defect or the parent's doing as this was supposed to be monitored while the chick was still in the nest. Like this it is pure guessing. I honestly wouldn't keep the chick like that in the aviary, it can get it self hurt badly if it cannot fly. It should be removed from there and checked thoroughly and if possible with an avian vet - even if it means you get pecked to death by the parents.
I'll venture in and try and get it out and take it to the vet, how long can it stay out of the aviary before it needs to be fed?

OP
W

Wozza

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Indian Ringnecks
And will the parents take it back?

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'll venture in and try and get it out and take it to the vet, how long can it stay out of the aviary before it needs to be fed?
Well this makes it more complicated. I overlooked the fact the chick is still being fed by the parents. I honestly don't have a clue about chick feeding so I cannot suggest anything particular there. But what I can suggest is to temporarily take the chick for a photo session of up close pictures of the feet and the defected wing spread (if possible, without hurting the chick) from up and down, then give back to the parents and see if you can contact the avian vet and receive further instructions from them, asap, and see if you can mail them the pictures. I am honestly worried for the chick.

Most Reactions

Latest posts