Accidental parrot owner

Ankitachandel

Jun 21, 2017
Media
Albums
Hello everyone! Am in grave need of advise. Recently I became the owner of a small parrot. My students found it under a pear tree. Something's wrong with both its legs and I'm giving it regular messages as therapy. Will it ever walk? I dunno whether it's a baby parrot or just a small variety of parrot. Bin need of swift advise. What should I do? Plz help:greenyellow::greenyellow: This is what it looks like I dunno where to attach the pic!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Hiya!

So you're confident it's not a native parrot, but a domesticated bird? I'd probably hold off on the massages for now. Birds have delicate intricate skeletons and so your first port of call needs to be a vet. Ideally an avian vet - but in my country they're very few and far between so any emergency vet would be a positive start. Keep him/her as warm/still as possible, maybe with a towel in a box (with good ventilation) or something similar, and seek help quickly. When a bird goes down, it can go downhill fast but swift treatment and he may yet be okay.

Also, I see you've listed the topic as 'accidental owner'. Please don't plan on keeping him just yet! It sounds like you have an awesome heart and you are committed to doing what is right for this bird. His owners may be looking for him. Make sure you check with local rescue centres, vets, facebook groups etc to make sure you haven't found someone else's much loved baby, even if this little one doesn't pull through. No matter the outcome, for that owner - answers will be so greatly appreciated.

Good luck, make sure you let us know how you get on!

T

takito

Will it drink water, ? In hot weather dehydration is what is more urgent to avoid.
Use a dropper or syringe, if it won't or can not drink from a container.
Also, but less urgent, can it eat , and will it, ...?
Hope fully you can take it to a "Ideally an avian vet" as suggested, and ASP,...I also agree
it is not a good idea to be moving, or massaging the legs.
If it is a baby, and does not appear to be fully feathered, you will need to hand feed it, using
a dropper or syringe, this has to be done carefully, there are some topics on that here on the forum, ..Where I am, we don't have "avian vets", any where near, and they are rare even in the cities.
What I use on baby parrots is a very liquid mixture of corn flour, but if you are in a area where
you can get it, there are formulas special for parrots,...
Again, I stress this,..especially if the weather is hot (here it has be 104 f, the last few days) deyhdration can happen rather fast, a baby bird/parrot would not make through the night, until
the next day without at least some liquid,..
I know, some people may say some thing about it not being sanitary, or bacteria, but I have had times with baby birds where they won't even accept a dropper, or syringe,...and just dipping my fingers in water and especially with parrots, they will instinctively try to bite or peck my fingers, since it is a small one, no worry about it hurting you it won't, and when it realizes there is water on your fingers, it will try to get the water, moisture,... it also is very effective in calming the bird/parrot, they realize you are not trying to hurt them, and have something it needs and wants
very much, water.
If it appears fully feathered, it maybe old enough to eat,... have you tried giving it any food ? They like sunflower seeds, (natural, not salted), but also
just a piece of bread, or maybe a piece of apple,...
It is hard to say about the legs, this is where a vet really is necessary,..
Can you give more details ?
Something's wrong with both its legs
Is really vague,... what exactly is wrong with its legs,... are they stiff , or do the just hang limply,...can it move them at all ?

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Welcome and thank you for helping the little guy!! Sounds like you have a great heart.

Am I the only one who laughed a bit, though, at the cartoon bird being offered to us to help diagnose and help the bird? : ) Not slamming you, I understand you don't know how to post a pic, but that just gave me a cute morning chuckle.

T

takito

I hope the OP gets back , and lets us know how this turns out,...
I am wondering how the parrot got to the place under the tree, if it can't use it's legs, ?
Maybe there is a nest in the tree ?, and it fell out ?
If the legs are somehow actually broken, trying to move them, or massage them is the worst thing
that could be done.
Hopefully it all works out,.. please let us know how it turns out,
thanks

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
Hello everyone! Am in grave need of advise. Recently I became the owner of a small parrot. My students found it under a pear tree. Something's wrong with both its legs and I'm giving it regular messages as therapy. Will it ever walk? I dunno whether it's a baby parrot or just a small variety of parrot. Bin need of swift advise. What should I do? Plz help:greenyellow::greenyellow: This is what it looks like I dunno where to attach the pic!

Massages from a person with no knowledge of parrot physiology is certainly a better idea than taking the parrot to a vet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
To an avian vet immediately! Do not continue to handle him. Do not attempt to give water unless you are quite far away from a vet. Put him into a dark box on a soft blanket, pillow case or towel that isn't stringy / won't catch his toes.

Take him to a vet! Take him to a vet! Take him to a vet!

If he's doing well at the vet's and is obviously a pet, try to find his owner. A good owner will be distraught and very thankful you did the right thing and took the bird to see a vet.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you for trying to help.
To augment your big heart and good intentions, please, please, please seek out expert veterinary care.

T

takito

It has been a few days now since the OP posted this, I certainly hope they all ready have taken
the poor bird to a avian vet , hope fully they did that, the same day they posted here.
post_old.gif
06-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Ankitachandel
user_offline.gif

Hello everyone! Am in grave need of advise. Recently I became the owner of a small parrot. My students found it under a pear tree
It would be nice if they check back in and let us know how it turned out.

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
I doubt this person has taken the bird to a vet. I can smell a fool from a mile away after almost forty years on this earth, even across the internet.

T

takito

It bothers me to think about this, and how much the bird maybe suffering. The OP did not give much details, like where they are, someone might have been able to refer them to a good avian vet in the area, or even a rescue center.
I can relate to if one is somewhere rural, and there is no real avian vets, or even veterinarians ,
this is the case for me.
It does seem to me like maybe that is the situation, because if one was in a city, or close to one
the logical thing would be to get out the phone book and look in the yellow pages , for a vet, and especially a avionic vet,.. and take the bird to one immediately.
The OP says, their students found it under a tree, this implies the person is a teacher, one would think a teacher would know how to look up a veterinarian using the yellow pages, or like wise on the computer, they could find one using the search engine.
As I mentioned "something wrong with it's legs", is really vague, if a person was really in a situation where getting the bird to a vet is not a option, you would think they would at least try
to give some more clear details,... unfortunately after all said and done , and it is not nice to say someone is foolish, but I agree, this person handled this in a rather foolish way...
poor bird, I really hate to be thinking about it.
I have heard, I do not know if it is true, but in the San Diego area, I have heard there are a lot of conrues, basically wild, they are not "native" originally, but over the years, ones that escape , and
survive have established there selves, so for example in a area like that , it is quite possible the bird fell out of it's nest, thus ending up at the bottom , under the tree.
How else would it get there ? Unless it flew there, and some how hurt it's legs, If it flew, then it is not a baby,..my wife is calling me to breakfast, so any way, kind of looks like we will never know,
it has been several days, and nothing from the OP.
I keep checking this, to see if there is any news.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I doubt this person has taken the bird to a vet. I can smell a fool from a mile away after almost forty years on this earth, even across the internet.

The OP registered in a locale of GMT +5:30, likely India or the vicinity. We can interpret the situation through cultural and emotional filters yet the reality is unaltered. Single post, no update. We may never know, but strive to keep the door open. Labeling the OP a fool (or worse) is grave injustice to someone seeking to rescue a hapless bird, who at least cared sufficiently to join an internet forum.

My experience is we frequently receive pleas for help with little to no closure. Unless there is demonstrable abuse or horrific neglect, better to engage and strive to educate rather than flog and chase away.

I thank you in advance for refraining from inflammatory commentary!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
The OP registered in a locale of GMT +5:30, likely India or the vicinity. We can interpret the situation through cultural and emotional filters yet the reality is unaltered. Single post, no update. We may never know, but strive to keep the door open. Labeling the OP a fool (or worse) is grave injustice to someone seeking to rescue a hapless bird, who at least cared sufficiently to join an internet forum.

My experience is we frequently receive pleas for help with little to no closure. Unless there is demonstrable abuse or horrific neglect, better to engage and strive to educate rather than flog and chase away.

I thank you in advance for refraining from inflammatory commentary!

Absolutely! FYI, she does still live in India, her post had enough information to find her! Folks don't realize just how public Facebook is!
I work in an off shore environment 99% of my time, and it is so easy to misinterpret something in translation of one language to another. Perfect example, common term when used because you did not hear what the other person said, in English is pardon me? Someone from India? Sorry! So when we are speaking to each other, and I say, pardon me?, I always throw them for a moment because they think I am apologizing for being rude!

T

takito

Well said Scott,
There are many types of parrots native to India, and it is quite possible the OP is in a rural community where there are no immediate avian vet services available.
On a more positive note, and hopefully they did find someone in their community that knows
more about parrots, and perhaps other birds, and is able to help save the parrot, if possible.

Perhaps they just have not had the chance yet to get back here and let us know how it turned
out.
===edited----
I was writing when Flboy posted,... I also was doing some searches, and it does appear there are quite a few
"rescue groups", and organizations trying to protect the native wild life, including the parrots, in India. So any way I just hope it
works out, and the OP was able to find some one or some where to get the immediate attention needed to save the bird.
I found a "grackel", here they are called Chanates, or Zanates, depending on how you want to spell it,..actually I did not find it
but my grand kids did, it had fallen out of it's nest, and they brought it to me,...however it was not injured in the fall, but any way
besides the parrots (conrues) it was the first time I cared for and hand fed a baby wild bird successfully, .. I kind of had to the same
thing, not knowing what to feed it, I did some searches, and found that it was recommended to try a water, or even better a electrolyte liquid, not knowing how long the bird has been on the gound with nothing, dehydration is usually the cause of death, not the fall,..and
it seemed to be true, the baby was very happy to get some water,..after that I went back to searching, because it did not want to accept
the same formula I use for the baby parrots, it would not even open it's beak. With the water it did, but once it had it's fill, it did not want
any more,... So any way, I found some info, and made a "broth", for it, useing cat food, the adult chanates are allways stealling the cats food, and fly back to their nests with a full crop, and pieces in their beak,.. Bingo,... when the baby "smelled" or tasted the broth , it immediately opened up it's beak, and ate/drank the liquid eagerly, when it was full, it did not want more, and very contently went to sleep.
So any way, that is another topic, different species from parrots, but I still stand by what I said about it being important to give the bird
some liquid as soon as possible, when found under a tree , on the ground , one has no idea how long it has been there, nor how close to the point of dehydration it is, they can appear to just go to sleep, but then they don't wake up either , this can occur in just a few minuets or less, even seconds,...fortunately instinct will make a thirsty bird drink , but if no liquid is available, they just "go to sleep", at any given moment. Guess for now that is about it.

Last edited:

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
I stand by my previous comments. No attempt to find owner. No followup post, massaging legs that may be broken. I don't care what country the person is from, and I know from experience from living in Spain that some countries have backward and barbaric understanding of animals.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I stand by my previous comments. No attempt to find owner. No followup post, massaging legs that may be broken. I don't care what country the person is from, and I know from experience from living in Spain that some countries have backward and barbaric understanding of animals.

Unless you have an external dialog with the OP, you have no idea what efforts were facilitated to rehabilitate the bird. An absence of follow up is disturbing and sadly, fairly common. We do not pillory a member for nonconformity with our mores based on a single post. Education and leadership by example is far superior. Trust me, I have *very* strong beliefs in favor of animal welfare, but keep them off this forum.

You are free to stand by your comments, and I invite you to post them in genial fashion without resorting to calling members idiots or fools.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

Unless you have an external dialog with the OP, you have no idea what efforts were facilitated to rehabilitate the bird.

As said..until you walk a mile in another man's shoes......

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
And remember, fool spelled backwards is loof, which is close to lofa, which reminds me it's bathtime.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Massaging an injured birds legs does sound odd. You would think it would be best to not touch its legs and get it to a vet.

Different cultures, different ways of thinking I guess. My husband lit an incense stick in the house and I told him he can't do that around the bird. He said what do you think they do in India, they have twenty birds in one cage with incense burning all day. Yeah, well Peanut is not used to it so I put it out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts