Accidentally killed my baby bird

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hey everyone.

I have turned here due to the unexpected passing of my baby conure. He always sleeps with my husband in his neck and my husband must've fallen asleep and I found the baby laying lifeless next to him. I grabbed him and he was already cold. He turned 9 weeks yesterday. We know not to sleep with him this was not on purpose but we are devastated.

I just can't deal with this at all. I will miss his small body and large personality. My heart is broken. I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone before. I have a 4 week old also a green cheek and I just wanted to know being as inexperienced as I am which other precautions to take. I can't handle another loss.

OP
melissa87

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
20240104_165217.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sorry for your loss, most here have lost a bird. Sad to say that this manner of passing happens all too frequently, especially with conures who love to snuggle and sleep in the crook of necks. We read about this just on this forum 3 or 4 times a year.

OP
melissa87

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Sorry for your loss, most here have lost a bird. Sad to say that this manner of passing happens all too frequently, especially with conures who love to snuggle and sleep in the crook of necks. We read about this just on this forum 3 or 4 times a year.
Thank you for replying.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I’m so sorry for your loss! I know this must be heartbreaking for you and your husband. πŸ’” What happened was an accident; terribly sad but no one’s fault. We are only human, after all. It sounds like Your baby was very loved in his short time with you and that is what matters most. Praying you find peace after the loss of your little one.❀️

OP
melissa87

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I’m so sorry for your loss! I know this must be heartbreaking for you and your husband. πŸ’” What happened was an accident; terribly sad but no one’s fault. We are only human, after all. It sounds like Your baby was very loved in his short time with you and that is what matters most. Praying you find peace after the loss of your little one.❀️
He has crept so deeply into our hearts. Thank you for your kind message.

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
I have never lost a bird but even with my two new birds that are only 5/6 month old i would feel terrible, im so sorry about your birds and i wish you luck for your recovery from the incident.

Aquatic7

Jan 4, 2024
Parrots
Zeus the Bearded Dragon (I dont have a parrot ): )
Hey everyone.

I have turned here due to the unexpected passing of my baby conure. He always sleeps with my husband in his neck and my husband must've fallen asleep and I found the baby laying lifeless next to him. I grabbed him and he was already cold. He turned 9 weeks yesterday. We know not to sleep with him this was not on purpose but we are devastated.

I just can't deal with this at all. I will miss his small body and large personality. My heart is broken. I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone before. I have a 4 week old also a green cheek and I just wanted to know being as inexperienced as I am which other precautions to take. I can't handle another loss.
Oh my god I'm so sorry.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Terrible. I'm so sorry I bet each one of us has done a foolish thing or two... I KNOW I HAVE! Thank goodness fate was good to me and my bird, and nothing happened. Try to find peace in knowing that your darling passed away while loved and treasured; that's a wonderful thing that lasts forever.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hey everyone.

My condolences. This does happen a bit. We all make mistakes all we can do is learn from them.

20brio19

Jul 9, 2019
Parrots
Blueheaded Pionus-born May 2019
Sorry to hear that. I hope the pain goes away in time.

This is one of my worst fears too and one of the only downsides of having a very tame/trained bird. I have taught myself that if I feel even a bit groggy I'll put him in his safe cage. Even though I almost never fall asleep that way I can't take the risk.

OP
melissa87

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Sorry to hear that. I hope the pain goes away in time.

This is one of my worst fears too and one of the only downsides of having a very tame/trained bird. I have taught myself that if I feel even a bit groggy I'll put him in his safe cage. Even though I almost never fall asleep that way I can't take the risk.
We have learned a very hard painful lesson. Thank you for your message. Definitely not taking any chances with any of my animals.

OP
melissa87

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Terrible. I'm so sorry I bet each one of us has done a foolish thing or two... I KNOW I HAVE! Thank goodness fate was good to me and my bird, and nothing happened. Try to find peace in knowing that your darling passed away while loved and treasured; that's a wonderful thing that lasts forever.
We miss him so much he was indeed treasured.

G

Guest46745

Hey everyone.

Hello,
I know this is a terrible situation that has left you with terrible feelings, so I wanted to make some observations and give some advice. I'm a teacher, so this is a long post, but I wanted to tell you all I know...

First, as you stated, it "was not on purpose," which means it was a mistake. Obviously you and your husband felt a lot of love for your bird, and you both meant him no harm. In fact, you meant to show him love through snuggling. But even when we have the best intentions, mistakes can and will happen. All you can do is learn from them.

Second, you asked if this has "happened to anyone else before," and as wrench13 stated, it seems to happen all the time. I've only been on this site for a few months, and seldom read posts, yet this is the second one I've come across. I myself let my GCC snuggle with me while sleeping when I first got him. He would sleep snuggling my shoulder or chin. I assumed this was safe because I'm one of those few people who don't move at night, so no fear of me squishing him. However, every time I woke-up he's the one that had moved! Many times I woke-up not seeing him anywhere, leaving me frozen in a panic that any movement might harm him. One time I found him UNDER MY PILLOW! Still alive thankfully. That prompted me to do research. It turns out that in nature GCC live in holes, like owls, so they like dark tight areas to sleep in, which is why they love those sleep-time "happy huts" so much (which have their own set of problems).

So third, I hope your husband doesn't blame himself for the death. It's very likely that the bird moved under something or dug forward into a position and then couldn't figure out how to back out. Like toddlers, birds put themselves in constant danger. To this day, I can't leave socks on the ground, because my girl GCC crawls in them and can't get out. One time I came home to find her in a sock and once removed she was hyperventilating and starving. Who knows how long she was in there! My boy bird used to crawl inside a stovetop oven I had at an apartment. He would crawl into the back of the oven, inside the metal, and make it to the stovetop, underneath the metal. I would open the top and find him staring at the pilot lights. I had to use duct tape to block around the entire perimeter of the oven. Now that I have my own house, I had to block off him getting behind all appliances. My washer and dryer have a frame around them. GCCs love small tight areas.

So fourth, what "precautions" can we take? Here's my advice:

1. Seal off areas birds can squeeze into.

2. Assume any laundry, blankets, etc. have a bird underneath.

3. Birds go to bed hours before you do. I know you want to spend time with them, and they want to party all night, but they actually need 8 to 12 hours of sleep every night. I put my birds to bed at 10pm sharp. They sit in their dark quiet room with very low light on for one hour (to mimic sunset) and then it's lights off, with cages covered. I then get them up at 11am sharp. If you both leave the house for work, adjust your times as needed.

4. Never, and I mean NEVER leave food or drink unattended. Just because they didn't go for it yesterday, doesn't mean they won't today. Caffeine, chocolate, salt, avocado, apple and cherry seeds... there's an exhaustive list of things they should never consume. Birds die from foods within 24 hours.

5. Don't use scented candles, scented cleaners, perfume, body spray, or anything you can smell. No using pesticides inside the house. No cooking on non-stick pans (at least not over 300 degrees), and only clean with white vinegar. Birds die from air quality almost instantly.

They don't tell you when you buy a bird how much effort has to be put into their environment. They aren't like cats and dogs, who are tough and self-preserving. Birds are more like fish. They have live in a delicate ecosystem, needing specific air quality in a baby-proof space. You'll get people, especially on here, who will say, "I've fed my bird hard liquor and coffee for years with no problems." Ignore those clowns. They're called outliers, not the majority. It's the same as people back in the 1990's who said "my grandma smoked her whole life and she died at 120 years old, cancer-free."

Make the safest place possible, with a routine, to take all the possible mistakes away. And for now, don't be too hard on yourself.

OP
melissa87

melissa87

Jan 6, 2024
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello,
I know this is a terrible situation that has left you with terrible feelings, so I wanted to make some observations and give some advice. I'm a teacher, so this is a long post, but I wanted to tell you all I know...

First, as you stated, it "was not on purpose," which means it was a mistake. Obviously you and your husband felt a lot of love for your bird, and you both meant him no harm. In fact, you meant to show him love through snuggling. But even when we have the best intentions, mistakes can and will happen. All you can do is learn from them.

Second, you asked if this has "happened to anyone else before," and as wrench13 stated, it seems to happen all the time. I've only been on this site for a few months, and seldom read posts, yet this is the second one I've come across. I myself let my GCC snuggle with me while sleeping when I first got him. He would sleep snuggling my shoulder or chin. I assumed this was safe because I'm one of those few people who don't move at night, so no fear of me squishing him. However, every time I woke-up he's the one that had moved! Many times I woke-up not seeing him anywhere, leaving me frozen in a panic that any movement might harm him. One time I found him UNDER MY PILLOW! Still alive thankfully. That prompted me to do research. It turns out that in nature GCC live in holes, like owls, so they like dark tight areas to sleep in, which is why they love those sleep-time "happy huts" so much (which have their own set of problems).

So third, I hope your husband doesn't blame himself for the death. It's very likely that the bird moved under something or dug forward into a position and then couldn't figure out how to back out. Like toddlers, birds put themselves in constant danger. To this day, I can't leave socks on the ground, because my girl GCC crawls in them and can't get out. One time I came home to find her in a sock and once removed she was hyperventilating and starving. Who knows how long she was in there! My boy bird used to crawl inside a stovetop oven I had at an apartment. He would crawl into the back of the oven, inside the metal, and make it to the stovetop, underneath the metal. I would open the top and find him staring at the pilot lights. I had to use duct tape to block around the entire perimeter of the oven. Now that I have my own house, I had to block off him getting behind all appliances. My washer and dryer have a frame around them. GCCs love small tight areas.

So fourth, what "precautions" can we take? Here's my advice:

1. Seal off areas birds can squeeze into.

2. Assume any laundry, blankets, etc. have a bird underneath.

3. Birds go to bed hours before you do. I know you want to spend time with them, and they want to party all night, but they actually need 8 to 12 hours of sleep every night. I put my birds to bed at 10pm sharp. They sit in their dark quiet room with very low light on for one hour (to mimic sunset) and then it's lights off, with cages covered. I then get them up at 11am sharp. If you both leave the house for work, adjust your times as needed.

4. Never, and I mean NEVER leave food or drink unattended. Just because they didn't go for it yesterday, doesn't mean they won't today. Caffeine, chocolate, salt, avocado, apple and cherry seeds... there's an exhaustive list of things they should never consume. Birds die from foods within 24 hours.

5. Don't use scented candles, scented cleaners, perfume, body spray, or anything you can smell. No using pesticides inside the house. No cooking on non-stick pans (at least not over 300 degrees), and only clean with white vinegar. Birds die from air quality almost instantly.

They don't tell you when you buy a bird how much effort has to be put into their environment. They aren't like cats and dogs, who are tough and self-preserving. Birds are more like fish. They have live in a delicate ecosystem, needing specific air quality in a baby-proof space. You'll get people, especially on here, who will say, "I've fed my bird hard liquor and coffee for years with no problems." Ignore those clowns. They're called outliers, not the majority. It's the same as people back in the 1990's who said "my grandma smoked her whole life and she died at 120 years old, cancer-free."

Make the safest place possible, with a routine, to take all the possible mistakes away. And for now, don't be too hard on yourself.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I have gone through everything and made new rules for myself.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
**HUGE HUGS** Accidents happen, hun. Your baby was clearly loved and treasured :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts