Accidentally waking my conure up at night

Broekhart

Feb 17, 2023
Parrots
Green cheeked Conure
Thanks for all the advice given to me in my previous thread, and now I have gotten two cages, one for sleep and one for daytime. My GCC is still scared of my hands, as I only have him/her for 2 days but shes willing to take treats out of my hand in her cage so thats a good start. Anyway, this means for the moment I am not 'forcing' her out of her cage into her "sleep cage" yet, but shes such a light sleeper that even with a blanket over her cage and in the dark, me walking by her cage to my bed and turning on the fan woke her up (I moved her to my bedroom to sleep as I was still working in the study room).

Now I'm feeling guilty for scaring my new parrot so I moved her back to the study room so she can have her uninterrupted sleep. I live in an apartment and thats basically the only two places I can leave her where she can sleep comfortably without lights/ sounds from the TV. How do the rest of you living in an apartment handle bedtime for your birds? I can't always leave my study room when its time for my GCC to sleep, and when its my turn to sleep i inevitably wake her up when I head to my bedroom. What should I do?
:(

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
IMHO:
TV or other music/noise like it will disturb your parrots sleep, but most get used to smaller sounds, like fan noises, opening and closing fridge doors, rattling of silverware, stuff like that. Just part of the background "jungle" noises in the wild. Of course every parrot is different and their own bird, so to speak. I know if we happen to wake Salty during the nite, he goes right back to sleep, unless the noise continues or is really loud. July 4th, May 5th and other firecracker holidays though really upset him, but there is not much I can do about that. He gets really cranky the next day, from lack of sleep.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree, once she's more settled and used to the normal sounds in your house, those little noises shouldn't disrupt her sleep.

One of the birds staying with me right now says soft little "peep peep" query calls if I move around unexpectedly, like getting something from that room, but my two don't even open their eyes :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts