activated charcoal?

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
i have seen that activated charcoal saved a birds life when the bird was eating nuts that contained oil so they mixed water and activated charcoal and gave it to the birds
do you have info about activated charcoal
if so please share with me

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't
Tho I've heard of the use in dogs under veterinarian care and people under doctors care.

Do you have more of the story of its use? Did a veterinarian do this?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Do not use activated charcoal unless medically necessary. It's like this way with humans too. The huge craze with people dying food with activated charcoal is extremely harmful. It binds to ALL chemicals so it can seriously jank up any medications you may be taking.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
well they say that activated charcoal is an excellent avian digestive aid and that it helps when birds have a upset stomach

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
well they also say you use it when your birds really needs it
charcoal_300x350.png

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
and there was one time a bird ate plastic they gave it activated charcoal
and then the birds survived

Xeladore

Mar 12, 2022
i have seen that activated charcoal saved a birds life when the bird was eating nuts that contained oil so they mixed water and activated charcoal and gave it to the birds
think I've seen this video - was it about a lovebird? Activated charcoal can absorb toxins before they get absorbed by the body in lots of animals however it can also absorb things the body needs as well which is why it's better used in emergencies rather than as a "preventative" in people at least- I think they use it to treat heavy metal poisoning in birds too but I could be wrong. From a quick search it looks like they sell activated charcoal specifically for birds but it sounds like something you'd definitely want to ask your vet about first.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
well i cant go to the vet because my family doesn't trust the vet after two of our birds passed away😢 and the vet couldn't make my birds survive so i try to make myself the vet for my other two birds try to find medicines for infection and the symptoms incase they got it i try to tell my family the vet tried and its not there fault but they still don't trust the vet
so i try too make myself the vet because i have no other choice😥

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
and there was one time a bird ate plastic they gave it activated charcoal
and then the birds survived
This is definitely NOT how activated charcoal works.... Whoever put it up on the net is sharing nonsense.

Activated charcoal is an excellent emergency medicine in cases that something toxic or bad was eaten -for example a bad plant or too much fat, or even poison. The charcoal has strong adsorption and it's structure is very "airy", and it has a huge surface, meaning it can adsorb lots of other chemicals, like the toxins or fat/oil. It simply adsorbs it onto itself and makes sure the toxins don't get absorbed in your intestines. And then you just poop it out. Another mineral that works in a similar way but not as successful is zeolite.

So yeah, giving charcoal bcs the bird swallowed piece of plastic won't do anything.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Maroa, unfortunately there is a lot of really BAD information available on line about just about any topic. Keeping, raising and caring for parrots is no exception! There are any number of self proclaimed 'experts', therefore use any information found with a healthy amount of skepticism and caution. Once you have found a website that offers factual, solid information, I would recommend using that.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
do you now any website that shared true info

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
do you now any website that shared true info
Most forums have accurate info, including this one.
Avoid researching on websites that sell a lot of unsafe products, chain pet stores' websites, etc etc..

I could've named some inaccurate bird-care YouTube channels but I don't want to expose anyone..

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
YEs this one is very accurate.

Avoid going to multiple sites, looking for an answer that you have already made a decision on. Example, you want to make your own cage. Most forum members will tell you that it is not easy or cheap to do, but you keep going to different forums until you find one that says Yes sure go ahead and make one out of lumber and chicken wire.

People do this within a forum too, posting multiple threads on the same basic topic, until they get someone to validate their question or point of view. Parrot Forums members usually do not put up with this. We give you the plain truth. But even here, you need to take answers and look at them and consider the source.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
YEs this one is very accurate.

Avoid going to multiple sites, looking for an answer that you have already made a decision on. Example, you want to make your own cage. Most forum members will tell you that it is not easy or cheap to do, but you keep going to different forums until you find one that says Yes sure go ahead and make one out of lumber and chicken wire.

People do this within a forum too, posting multiple threads on the same basic topic, until they get someone to validate their question or point of view. Parrot Forums members usually do not put up with this. We give you the plain truth. But even here, you need to take answers and look at them and consider the source.
I think it can still be useful to go to different forums to hear different opinions on something, but NOT because you want them to give you the answer your looking for.

Posting multiple threads of the same thing is NOT allowed here on this forum.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would not use activated charcoal for a general remedy or tonic. It is only helpful sometimes in poisonings or overdoses, not always helpful. At other times, it’s better to remove the bad food or just let it go through and out of the body. I would be worried, for one thing, that it might just sit in the crop and interfere with the birds normal eating/ digestion?

I know your parents don’t want to pay to take sick birds to the vet. I’m wondering if you can start saving your allowance or gifts of money for bird emergencies, since you are worried about having a sick bird that needs vet care. When I was a minor my parents would not have bought anything for my bird but they let me spend some of my own money.

Usually the best thing you can do for a sick bird is to keep it warm and calm and make sure it has yummy food and water.

OP
MayMaroa

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
thanks, heather for your reply but my parents actually will pay its fine but the problem is my parents don't trust the vet not don't want to pay

Most Reactions