Add a leg band to a sun?

Qckslvr

Aug 2, 2020
San Jose
Parrots
Sun Conure
My wife loves our Sun Conure Percival so much, she decided to get a second sun.

My wife decided that she wanted a different breeder than the gentleman we bought Perci from. She did not want to risk them being from the same parents.

So we went to a pet store that specializes in birds in SF. We were impressed with the store, but the breeder left us feeling like we made a bad decision.

She has no idea when the babies were hatched. And none of her parrots are banded, she claims it is too much trouble.

So my wife wants to know if the little guy can be banded. From what I have read only a split band will work. I also read that conures can remove a split band or possibly clamp the band tighter causing injury.

Any one have experience with adding a band to there conure?:orange:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
since split bands can get caught on things or can be easily removed, they are not the most useful.

The bigger issue COULD be legality-- if this guy isn't banding, make sure he's legit/ has proper paperwork etc, because the closed-band numbers in certain areas are tied to breeder legalities/permits etc etc. If you wanted to travel to some states or internationally, it could potentially be an issue (not for sure). It depends on a lot of things, including the status of your bird at the time..but the goal would be to prove that he wasn't wild-caught.

Lots of birds aren't banded, but it's just something to keep in mind. I wouldn't add a split band. If you are worried about your bird getting lost, you could possibly consider micro chipping, but the downside to that, aside from the surgery is that someone would have to catch the bird and take it to a vet or rescue to have it read.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
In North America 2020, bands are only used by Breeders to keep track of their hatchings and their parents. It is common for very small Breeders to not use bands for the reasons stated above. Larger Breeders use bands to keep track to assure that do not over-breed a pair, etc...

A large breeder (note the change to a small 'b') that does not keep track of hatch dates is ebbing toward a Parrot Mill operation and it is well worth you running from that source!!!

Visit your current Breeder and with the band number, that Breeder can provide you another Sun that are not related to your current Sun or its parents.

Most Reactions

Latest posts