Adding a new flock member?

Stephable

Jan 20, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Budgie
Green Cheek Conure
Hi! I have a budgie (Piper) and a GCC (Momo) at the moment and the two of them get along amazingly and absolutely love each other. Even though they're great together they're in different cages and I want to get another budgie to be Piper's companion.

My question is will Piper be less likely to accept another budgie because of Momo being such a close bud? Also I'm hoping to get at least a few budgies to live together in Piper's (very big) cage. Do you think I should do that? And if I do get more friends for Piper (who's female) should I go male or female? One at a time or a couple at once?

Thanks!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
really the odds of acceptance are the same if you had just piper or momo. The big thing is do you want another bird? From observations getting another for the purpose of being a bird play mate it often doesn't end well. Personally, I'd just keep what you have now, think of it like siblings, they get along and have their own rooms. When it's play time they can invite one another over to play but when it's quiet time they get their own space.

As the old adage goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
If she is a female, it is inadvisable get another female as they tend to be quite aggressive towards each other - males on the other hand get along with both other males and females. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but it is important to keep this in mind.

In terms of whether a new bird will get along with your existing birds, it’s really difficult to say. It all depends on not only the personality of the new bird, but also the personalities of your budgie and GCC. You never really know what’s going to happen! But the risk is often worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pureblood

Feb 6, 2017
Media
Parrots
3 lovebirds (Max, Zloba & Zora)
(Pika, lovebird, RIP 11/2017) & 2 budgies (Picek & Njofra)
When my lovebird's sister passed away we actually got two new lovies and at first they were all a bit hesitant with each other and had to learn to get along and all, and now they have their routines, know the limits of others and are a happy and playful flock. Then just recently I adopted a budgie, who has her own cage, and she has stood her ground with lovies who did try to shoo her and things like that, and now they are all happy playmates when outside. The risks of having 3 lovies going on 1 small budgie are big so the introduction was carefully supervised but it turned out great.

You could get a new bird that would not get along with either or could get on soooo well with both of them. You can never really know :/

OP
S

Stephable

Jan 20, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Budgie
Green Cheek Conure
Thanks for the advise! Piper and Momo both seem really eager to befriend everyone, they took to each other super quickly! I'm hoping that means they'll be happy to have another friend. I also think Piper would really benefit from having another budgie around. She's not very comfortable with me and Momo is a big baby so I think having someone on her level would be good for her!

I'll keep researching and let you know what happens! I have to take Momo to the vet for a check up before I get another one because I use the quarantine cage for travel haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts