Adding another macaw to our flock

Tiredmama2015

Nov 18, 2017
NC
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
My husband and I want to add another macaw to our flock. We have been researching for a couple months and decided on a Greenwing. I just got off the phone with a breeder who said he stopped selling them because their personalities were no good and that we would be better off getting a hybrid and that we only should consider a female. I am really confused now. I know each macaw has its own personality but I was convinced that generally GW are considered gentle (as much as a macaw can be). We would love to rescue but our experience with Kiwi (4 year old rescue) is that we would love a baby to grow old with us. All birds in our area listed on Craigslist are scams as well. Any advice??

Cas27

Jul 27, 2017
NewJersey
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw,green wing Macaw,goffins cockatoo,Congo African grey
My husband and I want to add another macaw to our flock. We have been researching for a couple months and decided on a Greenwing. I just got off the phone with a breeder who said he stopped selling them because their personalities were no good and that we would be better off getting a hybrid and that we only should consider a female. I am really confused now. I know each macaw has its own personality but I was convinced that generally GW are considered gentle (as much as a macaw can be). We would love to rescue but our experience with Kiwi (4 year old rescue) is that we would love a baby to grow old with us. All birds in our area listed on Craigslist are scams as well. Any advice??
Maybe that breeders bloodline is no good. Green wings are great playful sweethearts. Blue and golds are the best talkers they are great companions.

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
I think you should get whatever type of macaw you want. It's really down to finding a good breeder (since you want a baby), and it sounds like that other breeder was trying to scare you off. Everything I've heard about GW macs has been generally positive. I think the only time I've ever heard anything bad was about scarlets, but having not met any in person, I am hesitant to make any kind of judgment on that.

I feel like people who say a specific species of parrot is bad maybe just shouldn't have parrots. Sure, some are more difficult than others, but they all deserve love and attention. People would call Sunny a "bad bird". She's hotheaded and difficult to handle, and was rehomed multiple times because of it. But I couldn't love her more! We work great together because we have established trust and she knows I am not intimidated by her (lol!). Sunny is a blue and gold, and I've never really heard people talk about them in a negative light, much like GWs. But I'm sure if someone who wasn't ready for parrots got a bird like Sunny, they would say "blue and golds are aggressive and bite!".

This is your parrot you're going to have for the rest of your life. If you're going to raise it from a young bird onward, you have plenty of time to bond with it and work with it on any behaviors that you want to minimize.

OP
T

Tiredmama2015

Nov 18, 2017
NC
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
Thanks for the replies. My husband is completely new to birds and my only experience with a macaw is with our rescue. We are not having luck finding any locally so seems like we will be looking for quite a while. Any tips on how to find a reputable breeder?

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
A couple of people have mentioned eggsotic parroting no personal experience. I have fun looking though.

Sunnybirb

Dec 24, 2017
Parrots
Sunny the blue and gold macaw.
Personally, I would try exotic bird stores. They may be a distance away, but calling them doesn't hurt. Many of them get their birds from local breeders, and may know someone they can put you in contact with. Some will also take orders, meaning they'll hunt down the bird you want and sell it to you.

OP
T

Tiredmama2015

Nov 18, 2017
NC
Parrots
Catalina Macaw
I haven't found any in my state with Google searches. I actually rescued Kiwi from a pet store so I don't think I will be looking to them for another bird. Doesn't seem to be a big market for Macaws in NC. At least from what I am finding online.

Most Reactions