Adding macaw to the flock (eventually)

Doctress

May 2, 2018
Arkansas
Parrots
25 yr old Amazon;
3 yr old African Grey;
(20 yr old Severe Macaw passed away)
As you may know, I just adopted a 3 yr old rescue CAG and have a 25 yr old Amazon. As the CAG and I start training, I've been thinking ahead to plan for a 3rd bird in the next few years. I have space for an aviary outside and a large cage in the "bird room" in the center of the house. I love our new CAG friend, but truly missing having a macaw in the house. I have no children, no pets outside the feathered companions. Cost isn't an issue.

A few questions:

1. Better to adopt a young macaw from a breeder, or older from a rescue?
2. I have 2 male birds...would it be better to adopt a male or female? Does it matter?
3. Suggestions on what type of macaw would fit with the flock?

Just trying to plan for the future! Asking now, as some breeders have years-long waiting lists. I'd want to buy larger stands/aviary now to accommodate the larger bird when he/she joins us.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
there are always older birds in need of loving homes, Rescuing is a great thing to do, breeders will breed and breed and there's nothing wrong with getting a baby, but remember, a baby macaw will likely outlive you so that's something to think about. Babies are so cute and it would be hard to choose from a rescue and a cute baby that needs a home. Good luck!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Thank you for rescuing these birds!

To answer your questions...

1. You need to define what 'better' means, for you and your flock!

Of course you'll have to pay a premium for a younger macaw from a breeder ($1000+ for a weaned baby) but you'll be able to train and raise them from a young age so that they are friendly as they age and will be easier to train. On the flipside to that, there are many older macaws in rescues that dearly need homes, however there will be no guarantees it will take to you / take to training / get along with your flock. There are pros and cons to both sides, so ask yourself - do you want a bird that will be a friendly companion and may be easier to integrate into your flock, or do you want to save an old bird from a lifetime in rescue, while risking the chances it may not get along with your flock or be a friendly companion?

2. With different species it won't matter a whole lot but you could get a male just to keep everyone on the same page as hormone season approaches. That way too, when maturity occurs you don't have to worry about egg-binding or your males wanting to mate with your female mac. Of course that shouldn't deter you from getting a female, they should be kept apart anyways and as different species of parrot it really won't be a huge difference.

3. All individual macaws are different. But seeing as you have a grey and amazon that generally will sit on a perch and be content, a Greenwing macaw would seem to be a good fit for your flock. They are said to be the more laid back of macaws.

Last edited:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
interesting thought in your post. I think itzbean post is spot on.

FWIW and IMO my advice should mean little.

Curiosity comes into my play here. How old are you, how long have you had parrots?

With the above I'll give my opinion.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
A red fronted macaw would be nearly as laid back as a green wing, and half the size if you want to keep body sizes more in line. RFM are often compared to green wings in terms of ease of handling.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
A red fronted macaw would be nearly as laid back as a green wing, and half the size if you want to keep body sizes more in line. RFM are often compared to green wings in terms of ease of handling.

LOL who named these macaws?? The GWM is more red fronted than a RFM is a green wing:p:D

OP
Doctress

Doctress

May 2, 2018
Arkansas
Parrots
25 yr old Amazon;
3 yr old African Grey;
Curiosity comes into my play here. How old are you, how long have you had parrots?

I am in my early 30s. Had Taco the Amazon for 25 yrs (no prior owners), Georgie the Severe for 20 yrs (no prior owners). My mother, whom lives with me, had a cockatiel for 17 yrs prior to my birth.

1. You need to define what 'better' means, for you and your flock!

Main concern is reducing stress for all involved, and having harmony in the flock. For example, I wouldn't consider a Severe- higher energy, more high-strung, strongly bonded to 1 person. A bird that is easy to integrate, able to live among the birds I have. Everyone would have their own cage and play areas.

2. With different species it won't matter a whole lot but you could get a male just to keep everyone on the same page as hormone season approaches. That way too, when maturity occurs you don't have to worry about egg-binding or your males wanting to mate with your female mac. Of course that shouldn't deter you from getting a female, they should be kept apart anyways and as different species of parrot it really won't be a huge difference.
Excellent point! I hadn't thought of that!! I was concerned about having too many males- issues with dominance and such; not sure if that's an issue with birds. The Severe was a female, and we have been to the vet several times for potential egg-binding and hernias...
It seems like male birds are more readily available for adoption, so that is a benefit.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

LOL who named these macaws?? The GWM is more red fronted than a RFM is a green wing:p:D

No kidding. Gw have more red than Scarlets too.

OP
Doctress

Doctress

May 2, 2018
Arkansas
Parrots
25 yr old Amazon;
3 yr old African Grey;
Now, the bird rescue I adopted the CAG from may also have a Harlequin male for adoption (unknown age, but definitely adult) this summer. Would he be a good flockmate? Too soon to introduce him into the flock? While I have a soft spot for homeless birds, I want to ensure a smooth transition for all.

I know it's important to visit him first and check his personality and temperament... Greenwing + B&G mix sounds like he may have potential for the laid-back crew at home.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Harlequins are my favorite in terms of looks, and it’s a mixture of green wing and blue and gold macaws, the two most easy to manage macaws. Good ffock mate? You’ll never know until you add him. Generally good birds? Yep! I’d get one if I had a chance.

But my one ekkie is more than enough work for me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts