Adding to their diet...

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
... I'm looking to expand Amy and BB's diet. Right now Amy gets Bistro with mixed fresh fruits and veggies. He;s getting tired of the same 'ol same 'ol so yesterday I made chop. He is kinda sampling that but is not grooving on it. BB gets fruity pellets mixed with roudy bush pellets and bistro at night. He loves any flavor of bistro. I'm now looking to try some freeze dried concoction like Texas Freeze Dried..Can you guys give me other brands to try and what your fid's thought of it? Or any other suggestions would be great.

Jim

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Goldenfeast anything!

If you really want different - and Iā€™m about to vomit at the thought that Iā€™m about to recommend this - head over to the C4AW website.

what about sprouts as well?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Texas Freeze Dried, for Salty, is OK as an additive to his chop, but alone? Nope not interested, in fact I tried that last night, he ate a minimal amount and left most in the bowl. It very cabbagey smelling (I wonder if it makes Salty fart??).

A downside to chop, especially thawed chop - you gotta clean up after the meal because the veggies go bad very quickly. Depending on how messy your parrot is, that can take awhile, cleaning cage floor, bars and adjacent walls. I'm lucky, Salty is not a flinger!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Julio likes to visit during our meals and tries bits of different stuff. Trying new things outside of that venue is waste of time. Very Spoiled Amazon!!

His normal base is an exotic mix of seeds and grains with a cross-section of nuts. and dry pasta bits, purchased from a speciality shop that custom blends. Did I say he was spoiled? No Sun or Safflower seeds and zero peanuts. Mixed into the seed mix is Harrisons Adult added when served. We add some Freeze Dry Veggies from time-to-time. and zero Fruits.

Julio is way too easy to be driven into a sugar feed Hormonal State. Thankfully he has never been a big Fruity.

Morning Veggies Bowl!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Texas Freeze Dried, for Salty, is OK as an additive to his chop, but alone? Nope not interested, in fact I tried that last night, he ate a minimal amount and left most in the bowl. It very cabbagey smelling (I wonder if it makes Salty fart??).

A downside to chop, especially thawed chop - you gotta clean up after the meal because the veggies go bad very quickly. Depending on how messy your parrot is, that can take awhile, cleaning cage floor, bars and adjacent walls. I'm lucky, Salty is not a flinger!
"Depending on how messy your parrot is, that can take awhile, cleaning cage floor, bars and adjacent walls. I'm lucky, Salty is not a flinger!"

Unfortunately Amy IS a flinger! :oops: He'd make a great outfielder for the NY Yankme's! I find stuff halfway across the living room..can't figure out how he gets a chick bone between is house bars lol.

Just called BSB seems they changed their name to Healthy Habits.BSB USED to be an approved vendor on this forum but is no longer listed :cautious: When I push the key to order all I get is "The person at this extension is not available at this time" I've called numerous time and different days with the same response, left a message but got no return call back.
So I googled Texas Freeze Dried and ordered a quart-sized bag of chop..give that a try and mix it in with the fresh chop I made yesterday. As mentioned before BB will try any thing,if Amy thinks TFD is junk hopefully The Beebs will think otherwise.

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Julio likes to visit during our meals and tries bits of different stuff. Trying new things outside of that venue is waste of time. Very Spoiled Amazon!!

His normal base is an exotic mix of seeds and grains with a cross-section of nuts. and dry pasta bits, purchased from a speciality shop that custom blends. Did I say he was spoiled? No Sun or Safflower seeds and zero peanuts. Mixed into the seed mix is Harrisons Adult added when served. We add some Freeze Dry Veggies from time-to-time. and zero Fruits.

Julio is way too easy to be driven into a sugar feed Hormonal State. Thankfully he has never been a big Fruity.

Morning Veggies Bowl!
Steven, I have stopped giving Amy and Beebers any kind of seed's long ago. On a very rare occasion Amy will get a peanut or two or a couple pieces of walnut or pistashio,BB might get walnut crumbles,we just don't keep that stuff in the house. Even a couple raisin's they turn their faces away from.

But when it comes to munching from MY plate both of them are 100% game for it! Doesn't bother me in the least,they both will sample anything. Only problem is BB will walk threw the mashed taters and gravy even if he has his own specific grub on the side. Amy has np quam's about helping himself to the pork chop or T-Bone trying to pull it off the plate. Kinda grosses David out but doesn't phase me (except when BB walks in the mash and gravy) They will even try new things as long as it's on my plate and warm.
I guess they just like to chow with their flock :)
Just got a call back from BSB placed an order and an order of "tea" we'll see what thats all about!

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts