Adopted 8Yr CAG

PRESCRIPTION

May 19, 2022
I have been looking at purchasing an african grey from about 5 years now. I originally wanted a 5 to 8 month old, but accidentally found an 8 year old male in a rescue about 4 hours away, so I made the drive to meet him. Once I met him I couldn't leave him there and ended up bringing him home Tuesday (4 days ago). He has a well check scheduled next Tuesday.

He was doing well and hadn't biten anyone... until today which was surprising but not painful. The first times felt more like warning nimbles telling me "no, I don't want a grape" but then he started biting a bit more aggressively getting two bites in at a time. I am wondering if this is normal for a grey adjusting or if we need to be prepared to work with a bird who may may require extra patience (which I am certainly willing to give him). I am a bit concerned that he may be plucking because he grooms a lot during the day and feathers are coming out often. His only spots light in feathers are under his wings, so I can't figure out if he is molting or plucking. The feathers are small and complete with no blood in the tips. He does not like to be misted, but I feel like molting maybe hard on him since his previous diet was horrendous.

I thought I was prepared for him him because I have been preparing for a Grey for several years and have other birds but actually bringing him home has left me with a lot of new questions. I was planning for a baby, not a rescue and my reading and prep was focus on that age group. I just don't want to amplify or cause problems. He is talking, eating well, making sounds, and steps up/down on command mostly. He nips a bit when he doesn't want to step up and I am not sure if I should continue to pursue the command after the bite (as to not back down and have him thinking am scared of him) or if I should back off and respect his desire to be left alone. I do try to keep him out of the cage for about 7 to 9 hours during the day, but I put him his cage during meals because he comes over looking for food while we eat.

Is there anything I should I be doing to help him adjust?

Do his feathers look alright? His tail feathers look pretty beat up.

Is there anything I can do to promote bonding?

Is his cage over crowded?
(He has a dislocated toe that needs surgery scheduled for July, and he had a hard time gripping while he climbs so I put perches close together for him)

Attachments

• 20220603_195535.jpg
    20220603_195535.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220602_082028.jpg
    20220602_082028.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220602_082026.jpg
    20220602_082026.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 1654307960799683293194074309575.jpg
    1654307960799683293194074309575.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 74

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
First, thank you for bringing home a rescue. Sometimes they have baggage, and sometimes they don't. It sounds like yours is acclimating really well.

He does look like he is barbering his feathers, but that may stop after he gets settled in.
Do you know anything about his past?

Neither of my CAGS like to be misted. They much prefer taking a bath in their dishes. I found large plastic dishes that attach to the cage and they both takes baths in those.
They look like this, only clear and a bit larger. They are 7 inches in diameter.

71Y7W1yWI+L._AC_SX425_.jpg

The only time I keep trying to get my birds to step up is if it's time to go back in the cage.
Other than that, if they don't want to I allow them to make the choice. Very rarely do I have to ask more than once for them to step up now when it's time to go up.

I have been bitten by both of mine before, both times because I wasn't paying attention. I have had them both for a few years now, and over time I learned to read their body language and eye pinning. For both of mine, when their eyes pin so they look almost white can mean 2 things. If I'm giving them a treat or a new toy, their eyes pin like that because they are excited. If I don't have anything it means they are irritated and I don't get my hands near them.
They both also fluff their feathers a bit when they are mad.

I think his feathers look pretty good. I bet that after a moult and a few good baths he will look much better and may stop barbering.

This thread is great for ideas in gaining their trust:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I think you are doing a wonderful job with him, and as well as he is doing now I don't think it will take long at all to finish bonding with him. 709 out of cage time is fantastic.

What is his name?

Sending good wishes your way for good news at his upcoming vet check and that his surgery on his toe goes easily and without much pain during his recuperation:)

OP
P

PRESCRIPTION

May 19, 2022
First, thank you for bringing home a rescue. Sometimes they have baggage, and sometimes they don't. It sounds like yours is acclimating really well.

He does look like he is barbering his feathers, but that may stop after he gets settled in.
Do you know anything about his past?

Neither of my CAGS like to be misted. They much prefer taking a bath in their dishes. I found large plastic dishes that attach to the cage and they both takes baths in those.
They look like this, only clear and a bit larger. They are 7 inches in diameter.

71Y7W1yWI+L._AC_SX425_.jpg

The only time I keep trying to get my birds to step up is if it's time to go back in the cage.
Other than that, if they don't want to I allow them to make the choice. Very rarely do I have to ask more than once for them to step up now when it's time to go up.

I have been bitten by both of mine before, both times because I wasn't paying attention. I have had them both for a few years now, and over time I learned to read their body language and eye pinning. For both of mine, when their eyes pin so they look almost white can mean 2 things. If I'm giving them a treat or a new toy, their eyes pin like that because they are excited. If I don't have anything it means they are irritated and I don't get my hands near them.
They both also fluff their feathers a bit when they are mad.

I think his feathers look pretty good. I bet that after a moult and a few good baths he will look much better and may stop barbering.

This thread is great for ideas in gaining their trust:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I think you are doing a wonderful job with him, and as well as he is doing now I don't think it will take long at all to finish bonding with him. 709 out of cage time is fantastic.

What is his name?

Sending good wishes your way for good news at his upcoming vet check and that his surgery on his toe goes easily and without much pain during his recuperation:)
Thank you! His name is Woody. All I really know about his past is he has one missing toe and his other toe need surgery because it was dislocated and needs to be reset. He came from Kansas, and his previous diet was canned chili. He is a bit over weight according to the rescue.

I believe he comes from a decent home somewhere in his history based off the words, interactions and requests he has made though. Maybe the rescue pick him up from 2nd or a holding home because he appears to have eaten much more healthy in the past because he recognized and asked for a carrot when I was cooking. He lived with a cat, because he hisses and meows. He speaks mostly in a male voice and he laughs often. I have not heard any aggressive or foul language from him. He absolutely despises grapes... eachtime I offer him a grape he bites me a little... again not hard just enough to say no.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Yes, that does sound like he had a good home in the past, that's fantastic!
It seems he has already recognized that he is once again in a good home and is responding to that. I'm so glad he is interested in veggies!! That will make his transition to a better diet much easier.
I bet that after he has moulted he is going to look so much better on his new diet.

My cockatoo came from a meth house, but we believe he had a wonderful home somewhere in the past as well. That really does help, but makes one sad knowing their last home wasn't good.
Welcome to PF Woody!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thanks for rescuing a CAG in need.

My CAG gaged on eating a grape once.
I think the skin of the grape caused her to choke and sort of through up.

Could be he had a similar incident.

I only have trouble with step up when Bella is inside the cage. When outside of cage only reluctant to step up when itā€™s the to go back for the day.

I always tell her ā€œitā€™s getting late, time to go backā€.
If she is truly resistant to step up I negotiate.
I tell her ā€œok, you can stay out just a little bit longerā€.
When I come back for her in 15 minutes or so she step up.

CAGā€™s donā€™t bite like Amazons (the species I am more familiar with).
there bite is like being attacked by scissors Instead of vice-grip pliers (amazon bite)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
congratulations on your gorgeous boy!!! Tha js bunches for taking a re home @

I think he looks healthy and feather look great with minor wear and tare. Cage looks awesome. Seems well adjusted and willing to engage.

You might like this

This is fun to do together and keep that mind engaging

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi ! There are lots of other treats you can offer besides grapes; if he don;t like them dont bother with them. Keep experimenting with different ones! We feed our Salty the same time as family meals, with his own portion of chop. Parrots like to eat with the "flock" and that will help him integrate with your family better. I would respect the "push off', if you ask him to step up and he refuses. He has that right. Come back in 10 minutes, he may change his mind.

OP
P

PRESCRIPTION

May 19, 2022
Hi ! There are lots of other treats you can offer besides grapes; if he don;t like them dont bother with them. Keep experimenting with different ones! We feed our Salty the same time as family meals, with his own portion of chop. Parrots like to eat with the "flock" and that will help him integrate with your family better. I would respect the "push off', if you ask him to step up and he refuses. He has that right. Come back in 10 minutes, he may change his mind.
He seems to really like carrots! I was chopping some dinner the other day he started yelling "carrot" at me till I gave him one, lol. I took him to the vet today for a check up. He does have a blocked oil gland and what she called "short rods" which she said was consistent with E-coli. She gave me some water medication to give him in place of normal water so I hoping that clears up any issues. He is doing great though. I am very glad I decided to bring him home rather than a baby, he is full of surprises and already repeating words he hears my boys saying around the house often.... so far he picked up "Isaac did it" and "nerd".... sigh

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Carrots are my Bellaā€™s favorite veggie.
CAGā€™s are amazing. Some things they pick up after
hearing just a couple times.
I am still waiting to hear Bella say Alexa, everyone else in the family has heard her say it but me.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Canned chili, huh? Iā€™m trying to imagine that. Unfortunately for him, birds canā€™t pass gas.

Iā€™m trying to imagine a really terrible bird diet. Lucky charms? Spaghetti ohs? After that diet, I wouldnā€™t trust a grape either. Bird needs Mountain Dew or koolaid and a slim Jim maybe. (Poor poor bird.).

Most Reactions

Latest posts