Adopted Macaw

jodil9999

Jan 27, 2022
Parrots
2 parrotlets, 3 budgies
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I currently have 2 parrotlets and 3 budgies, but I will be taking in a 10 year old blue and gold macaw from a family friend who has cancer and will not be able to care for him. The bird is socialized only to his current owner, and is nervous around other people.

I am looking for resources and information to help me understand how best to introduce and bring this little guy into my home in the least stressful way for him. I will be keeping him on a temporary (6+ months long) basis, but could be permanent depending on how things go with his owner. I have the time and resources to put into helping the little guy be happy and adjust in my home, and I’d like to be as well-researched as possible.

Some info:
-He has a 4’x4’x6’ cage that will come with him
-He will have a safe quiet room of his own to fly free and to sleep
-Once I’m comfortable that he’s safe to do so, he can have the run of my bird-proof rooms

Advice and/or links on care, introducing, and socializing after a rehome are truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Mac's are a major undertaking and reading those Threads at the top of the Macaw Forum will be very helpful. That Forum is filled with extensive information and is well worth your time to read deep into it.

Thank-you, for being this Parrot into your home.
Do not change this Mac's diet as the transition is enough stress for him at this point.

Determine what toys he likes to chew and have them available

Mac's are truly noisy and if you are in an apartment, it would be wise to let your neighbors know in advance.

Shez

Feb 17, 2022
If the bird is easily handled by the owner then that’s a great start- if not, ask the owner to train the bird to reliably step up on a t-stick (to keep your fingers and skin intact) and also to target train the bird and then give you the t-stick, target stick and treats when he comes to stay.

Going to meet this sweet boy
and becoming as familiar as possible with this guy before he comes to you will be really helpful for you both, particularly if you can open up some free flowing fun communication between you.

Find out what his favourite treats, meals, phrases and toys are and use them as needed to get the best out of him and keep him comfy and happy.

If you can go meet and hang out you’ll both sort of know each other a bit so you will find settling in for him much easier. If you can’t do that then maybe ask the current owner to come bring the bird to you and leave it with you when the time comes instead of you going to remove the bird from its current owner and home.

Explain everything you want to do, you are doing and you will be doing… they understand more than many realise and they learn to listen for your explanations on when you’ll be back and what you’re doing in the other room that they can hear but not see etc- it helps a lot to lessen alarm calls and tension as they seem to like to know what’s happening around them. I know it might sound dumb but I can assure you it makes a difference with many birds- my family members finally learned that and started chatting like they would to a small child and it stoped a fair whack of the loud alarm calls my bird would make at things they did.

Pay attention to all body language when interacting and behave appropriately (meaning don’t ever ignore their attempt to communicate with you) - macs are generally pretty clear and obvious with communication, especially if they haven’t been previously frequently ignored. Their moods are generally very easy to pick and read.

They really love drama (good or bad) so you can use that to your advantage by dramatically praising it playing up any behaviour you want to see more of, on the same note- try not to be dramatic if he’s doing something you don’t want or you’ll basically just have seriously encouraged it and turned it into a big problem for yourself lol- example: when he’s removing chunks of your window sills… just call him to you or go move him to a better place he is allowed to be rather than yell no no no etc. Always have appropriate places he can get to easily and make sure there’s interesting and varying things there to do- food, chew, investigate, undo, ring etc - a busy Mac is a well behaved happy mac usually.

There’s the obvious postures, lunges, eye pinning and feather movements to help read moods and intent but there’s also nearly always a foot up (kinda like a person might use their hand to indicate not to come closer) they tend to use this as sign to stop or back off too- many people miss this but it’s nearly always there.

It is safest at all times to keep your little guys away from your macaw whether he’s caged or freely roaming. One little incident can be the end of toes, legs or even worse, life for the little ones. Little birds landing on big birds cages has seen way too many littlies in serious trouble.

Budgies are also a little dusty too so please be very on top of vacuuming and wet wiping any potentially dusty areas- macaws have exceptionally sensitive airways and should really never be kept with old world or powder down/dusty birds - the budgies aren’t quite as bad as say cockatiels, cockatoos or African greys but I can assure you from the one or two times I got slack with my daily vacuuming and wet wiping my poor macaw sneezed all day- knowing what I know now about how deadly breathing in this dander/dust can be for them I am very vigilant about keeping my budgies area totally clean and I’d never ever keep my 2 in the same airspace as my Mac.

Breezy2013

Jun 28, 2022
Parrots
One Timneh Grey
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I currently have 2 parrotlets and 3 budgies, but I will be taking in a 10 year old blue and gold macaw from a family friend who has cancer and will not be able to care for him. The bird is socialized only to his current owner, and is nervous around other people.

I am looking for resources and information to help me understand how best to introduce and bring this little guy into my home in the least stressful way for him. I will be keeping him on a temporary (6+ months long) basis, but could be permanent depending on how things go with his owner. I have the time and resources to put into helping the little guy be happy and adjust in my home, and I’d like to be as well-researched as possible.

Some info:
-He has a 4’x4’x6’ cage that will come with him
-He will have a safe quiet room of his own to fly free and to sleep
-Once I’m comfortable that he’s safe to do so, he can have the run of my bird-proof rooms

Advice and/or links on care, introducing, and socializing after a rehome are truly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Breezy2013

Jun 28, 2022
Parrots
One Timneh Grey
Keep the budgies and parrotlet safe and away from the macaw. Don't ask me how I know, but it resulted in an expensive vet visit for the little budgie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts