Adopting 3 new parrots - advice greatly welcome

OP
B

birdresq

Aug 26, 2021
Gorgeous cage, nice selection of toys and accessories!!

For convenience many of us line the bottom tray with newspaper for fast cleaning. Typically a grate between occupied cage and waste tray to prevent contamination. Appears to be missing?
Thanks Scott! Yes there is more to the cage I wasn’t finished but wanted to share as he seems happier and perching nicely ! I gave him some treats after our early morning conversation. He “let” me for a short while handle him enough with a towel to trim his nails a bit but they were overgrown for who knows how long. It still seems painful/difficult to walk even though they are now trimmed up. Any advice on why that would be?

OP
B

birdresq

Aug 26, 2021
Hot peppers are a thing!! A great source of vitamin A and for our central and South America parrots a natural food source. Parrots font have the "heat" reception. Most love peppers of all types! Dried , hot, bell peppers ect. But things go in and out of favor so mix it up.

Observation of how parrot uses cage, and move and adjusting. Several short perches at different height, try to get maximum use out if cage space while room to move from place to place. Perchrs attached to outside sides and tops turns tge cage into a ply gym and increases use
Wow very good to know! I will gather some extra peppers then! It seems it is still difficult/painful to walk grab hold of the cage but he is perching so I’ll see if hopefully that gets better now that the nails have been trimmed a little bit, unfortunately no difference as of yet.

OP
B

birdresq

Aug 26, 2021
The sweet bird did not make it through the day. Unfortunately while I was out during the afternoon he passed. I found him on the bottom of the cage upon arriving home. I’m so upset, I don’t understand . Between stress, his inability to walk . I’m so upset

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am so sorry to hear he passed, my deepest condolences.

Unfortunately he may have had significant illness so the cause(s) may be completely unrelated to nail trimming.

OP
B

birdresq

Aug 26, 2021
Thank you Scott. The vet can’t see any of them until 9/10 . Do you suggest I not moving the other two into a new cage until after the vet? They’re in a small cage but they cling to the side of it and never perch. I feel like I caused him so much stress by moving him into
The new cage I’m afraid of doing that to the others but their current home is atrocious.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very difficult decision not knowing why one just passed. Stress can be particularly harmful if preexisting underlying conditions. I would worry about communicable diseases, though that does not necessarily mean the pair are endangered without veterinary assessment.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry to hear of the passing. Obviously he had bern so neglected and terrible condition for a long time. You didn't kill him , or cause his health issues.

Continuing to perch on the sides of the cage for the other burds is not good. Its going to cause a build up of lactic acid, ..a stress condition that called capture myopathy.

These burds may have never had close contact with humans. If this was me I'd get them in the large cage. Set up with a back against a wall. And I would limit my interactions with them, to help lower their stress right now.

They did all look thin in pictures. Let them have free access to what ever terrible food they were on. But have bowls of good food out too. and hang millet and treat stix. We want them eating during this transition

Most Reactions