Adopting 30 yr old African Grey

Cmoore

Aug 26, 2021
Birmingham AL
Parrots
two rescued Blue and Gold Macaws
Hello everybody!

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am taking in a 30 yr old male African Grey. He actually is coming to me tomorrow- and I just found out about him yesterday. He has been with the same family since he was 7 months old. The husband passed away years ago and the wife has Parkinsons disease and can no longer care for him. I am fully up on Macaw knowledge but not so much on African Greys. I am worried about how to best make this transition for him- I know Greys are prone to plucking and I really want to help prevent that from happening or any overall stress for him.. any advice on the best way to help him with this transition? I am preparing for the worst and hoping for the best :)

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020

OP
C

Cmoore

Aug 26, 2021
Birmingham AL
Parrots
two rescued Blue and Gold Macaws
So tables have turned.. the lady with they Grey didn't consult with her son who decided he wanted to keep him. so I now have acquired two 30-yr old Blue and Gold Macaws and am about to make a separate post about them.

benbfishin

Nov 16, 2015
Congratulations...you are blessed and cursed...a grey is a difficult and tricky bird. That being said..my advice is to get a stand where he can be out most of the day, away from his cage. This puts you both on neutral territory. Usually, greys are 1 person birds, and they always pick who they want. My wife gets so angry, she feeds mine, talks to him, yet he loves me and wants nothing to do with her. A 30 year old bird moving to a new location will be traumatic for the bird...so be patient. Now, please research what you can and can't use in your home..many common household products and candles, Teflon pans, electric fireplaces, are extremely dangerous. Good luck and best wishes.

Most Reactions