Adopting another bird - Alexandrine or Blue-throated Conure?

Robidium

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Taco, Senegal, 9
Hi all,

I have a bird-shaped hole in my heart! I enjoyed having two birds, I have a vacant cage, my strata allows for up to 2 birds, and my rescue has birds that need homes. So I'm going to adopt another bird in the near future!

Out of the birds my local rescue has, a few have caught my attention: an older male Alexandrine, a Blue-throated Conure, a Patagonian Conure, and a young female Ringneck.

My main concerns are suitability for my family, mainly in hoping for a neutral or positive relationship with Taco, and not being so loud my neighbours will complain.

If you have experience with any of these species, I would appreciate opinions on:

1. How loud can they be, and how noisy are they in general? Suitable for an apt?
  2. How likely are they to be aggressive towards a small jumpy Senegal with a damaged beak?
  3. How likely are they to be bullied by said Senegal who does not seem very aggressive to date?
(It would probably be most helpful to compare them to a Senegal and/or a Moustache if possible, as they are my best frame of reference for parrots)

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
Robidium

Robidium

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Taco, Senegal, 9
More details!!

About my living situation and family:
  • I live in a corner condo with a neighbour on one side and below me. My neighbours have told me they don't mind a bit of noise, but that they don't hear the birds much.
  • I have a vacant cage, that used to be Mochi's. It is 3'X3'X2', with thick bars spaced 1" apart.
  • Taco can hit almost 90db with short shrill calls (infrequent), and Mochi could hit about 75db but with much longer honking/trumpeting calls. I don't think it would be smart to get a bird that is significantly louder than Taco and/or longer loud calls than Mochi could.
  • I am the only human person in the family.
  • I work from home so my birds are out almost all day on most days.
  • I have two bunnies that live under my coffee table, Mochi did not interact with them at all but Taco is quite interested in them and goes down to see them (and usually flies away when they come closer to sniff him). I don't think they pose any risk to birds, but even so the birds aren't out when I'm not home to keep tabs.
Taco

A 9yo Senegal who I adopted about 1.5 years ago. He and I are good friends, and while he is a bit timid and jumpy he loves to explore, and is very active in both climbing, walking on the floor, and flying. He has a damaged beak from his past life, but it doesn't slow him down much, and although it doesn't seem to be growing back, it also doesn't seem to bother him. He and Mochi were not friends, but they respected each other's space and did not fight. They often both sat with me at the same time. She was somewhat larger than him, and if he got within about a foot or flew onto her cage when she was there, she would chase him off, but he was much faster and better at flying, so he was never at risk. Of course, I didn't have them out together when I wasn't home to supervise, but they coexisted quite peacefully. I had the impression that Taco was interested in Mochi, but she would chase him off if he invaded her space.

I know Senegals can be aggressive to other birds, and while Taco wasn't aggressive towards Mochi and generally doesn't seem like the aggressive type, that may have been because Mochi was bigger than him, and/or he has his little broken beak. Either way, I would like him to not be bullied or bully a new bird. Ideally they could be friends (he is interested in other animals although timid), but him and a new bird peacefully coexisting is also a good outcome.

Mochi

My second bird, a 10-20yo female Moustache Parakeet who I adopted less than 6 months ago, passed away suddenly. She wasn't a young bird and had many years of poor care behind her (kept caged and fed only seeds for 10-20 years), but she seemed like she had been getting healthier until a few hours before she passed away. She was so lovely and affectionate, and I miss her so much 💔

Most Reactions

Latest posts