Adult Conure behaving strange

demonsqueak

Oct 4, 2021
Parrots
Sun Conure, Green Quaker, Red Lored Amazon
Recently my adult sun conure, Fawkes, age 3, is behaving very strange. To sum it up, he's behaving like a baby but also as if he is sick.

He is flapping one wing periodically, fluffy all the time, very clingy and always wants inside my hoodie with me (he is in there as I type this), very wobbly when flying (he's usually a very skilled flyer), he's very slow when he moves, and he only want to handfeed, and drink water from a glass in my hand. When he drinks from his cage bowl, he throws it up about a minute later. We noticed something in his behavior was off yesterday, when he was quiet. Fawkes is a VERY vocal bird. We woke up today, and it was like he was zapped back to being only a couple months old.
Is this all a common thing, or is he sick?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums, demonsqueak, although I am sorry that it is under somewhat worrying cirumstances.

I think you are wise to be concerned about Fawkes' sudden change in demeanour. I too would be anxious upon noticing symptoms such as vomiting and wobbly or unstable flying, and it would be sufficient for me to be contacting my avian vet for an assessment, especially if it's been a while since he has had a wellness check. I'm not sure exactly where in the world you are located, but the following link may help you to find one just in case you are not already be familiar with one...

Please keep us updated as to Fawkes's progress, and I wish both of you all the very best! 🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts