Adventure/food/chop..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
... Today will be an adventure day..going for supplies. It will be a warm,clear fall day here perfect for "outside in the car"

I'm getting a little frustrated with Amy,seems he is not liking his Bird Street Bistro anymore. I'm finding more on his basement floor or his front yard then what goes in his belly. I've cut the portions down so now I find an empty bowl with just as much discard. I tell him fid's in other country's would love to get their beaks on his "trash" but he doesn't listen...or give a rat's patoot. I feed him other stuff too. Cauli/Broc pieces,baby carrots,shredded coleslaw mix.different flavors peppers,sometimes corn and/or peas..fruit,berries of different types..the neighbor has a pear tree,about 60 feet tall and I can't reach them but I pick the good ones off the ground before Tank the ground hog finds them and takes a bite out of each one. I wash them thoroughly before giving Amy a couple slices.
He loves banana. I buy them just for him. After I uncover him and before brekky he is usually waiting at his front door for his piece. Sometimes now he just looks at it and walks away.
I've taken a page from the Rickeybird Scrapbook and bought chilli peppers,first just six to see what he thought of them. Cut a couple slices ( didn't overload his house like Ms Gail does with RB) and he chowed down so I got some more,now I find them on his basement floor only to see him a few hours later dumpster diving.
One item he can't resist is corn on the cob. I used to get Birdseye frozen mini's,nuke on for 2 minutes let it cool then chop off about 3 inches and quarter it. All the corn would be eaten and he'd tear apart the cob,now I can't dind them anywhere! Was lucky enough to find locally grown FRESH c.o.c. last month.got 6 ears of awesome butter/sugar boiled them then froze,he was in 7th heaven but now the season is over and can't get anymore.

The point of all this is...he super finicky. One day he's munching next day it's in the trash. So today I'm gonna try a small batch of chop. I have yellow/green/red peppers,chilli peppers,mini sized cukes,coleslaw mix,banana,red grapes,raspberries, granola and will mix in Bistro and scrambled egg and whatever else I cab find :unsure:

Jim

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Oy, my friend, I’m experiencing this too. Parker’s tastes are evolving: he loved TOPS, can’t stand them now.

He loved chowing down on bell peppers, won’t touch them if he can help it.

he used to love tearing into mini pumpkins. It’s very hard to get him to do that now.

I completely share your frustration!! No resolution, just commiseration!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We'll get a acorn squash, hack off 1/3, zap it, let it cool down some, and put it in Saltys dinner space. He LOVES warm food!! I'll stop offering warm when the mating season kicks in but for now, man he chows down on it.

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Copy that on warm food Al...lots of times if I offer a cold raw carrot it's ignored but a COOKED one.i'e one from MY plate,he'll munch.

So after another great adventure at Petco,where he said HELLO to the American Bulldog who woofed at him,and the young girl behind the counter that he allowed her to gently pet his head and back without even flinching,we got home and I made a few bags of chop. He sat at the table while did my thing. I gave him small pieces of cauli and broc..a slice of mini cuke and chilli pepper,a grape and piece of banana..you know that bird chewed and tasted EVERYTHING?? He played with his food,throwing the broc around the table then going after it to munch again. He ripped into the red grape,made mince meat of the cuke and chilli pieces. I mean he chewed on everything. If he was in his house it all would be on his basement floor.
So I got 8 bags with six tablespoons each and a full medium-sized (maybe quart sized) tupperware container. I gave him two tablespoons in his bowl and he went right for it. Lets see how long he'll eat this.

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Warm food? I've never paid much attention to response to warm vs. room-temp. Hmmm.
I'm gonna give that a try.
After 37 years, there's always something new, eh?
Tb, too, can be unpredictable, with food, toys, lots of stuff. Like, just one example... after stepping onto a perch scale readily for 35 years, a couple of years ago he woke up one morning and hated it. Attacked it, never went near it again. I think maybe he has dreams/nightmares about something and when he wakes up, doesn't know they weren't real events, and... that's it. Who knows?

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Warm food? I've never paid much attention to response to warm vs. room-temp. Hmmm.
I'm gonna give that a try.
After 37 years, there's always something new, eh?
Tb, too, can be unpredictable, with food, toys, lots of stuff. Like, just one example... after stepping onto a perch scale readily for 35 years, a couple of years ago he woke up one morning and hated it. Attacked it, never went near it again. I think maybe he has dreams/nightmares about something and when he wakes up, doesn't know they weren't real events, and... that's it. Who knows?
It'll take a life time trying to figure them out Ms Gail..hurts my head at times!

Jim

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
If you check the grocery stores in your area, you might be able to find fresh off-season corn on the cob. The Wegmans stores here in the Syracuse area often have it, even in the winter. I'm not sure where it comes from, but it's nearly as good as the local corn.

Does Amy like fresh green peas? That's Ralph's favorite food, the sugar snap peas. My old YCA George loved them too and I think he would have eaten nothing else if I'd let him, he liked them that much.

Our parrots do appreciate variety in their diets and often get tired of the same old foods, even the ones they like best. It can be a challenge finding other things they'll want to eat. Amy isn't alone in that.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jim your going to find thawing out chop, either be defrosting or by zapping it, that its very wet. I add either one of these: crushed nutraberry, a handful of Texas freeze dried veg, a few pinches of Zupreem tropical fun blend, or some al dente Orzo pasta, to soak up the excess water. It also makes Salty think he is getting a different meal ! I zap all my chop in a small ceramic ramekin with pretty thick walls, which retains the heat better and keeps the chop warm for longer.
Note - once mating season rears it head, i stop serving warm food, as that can be a hormone trigger.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I tell him fid's in other country's would love to get their beaks on his "trash" but he doesn't listen...or give a rat's patoot.
I almost chocked on my coffee reading this. Also, a hedgehog called Tank? LOVE IT. Priceless.

Yeaaaaah sounds pretty much like our sennie who's living at my partner's ma's place, we visit her very often. She used to chow down her little boiled legume and boiled seed mix for lunch for last 10 years, then one day she decided she ain't eating it no more. She always gets random fruits and veggies daily to keep things interesting, but suddenly she didn't want to do anything with it. Often, she's so picky she will not eat what we gave her off our plates (like a cooked carrot, rice or potato), no, she MUST go and fetch it herself off our plate directly. Not even the one that we put aside for her. What a diva.

Often with birds it seems to be a complex calculation when giving them food - what food, how old is it, was it harvested on full moon, what's the temperature of the food - if it's 0.3 Celsius degree difference then it ain't good, how many extra molecules of water is in this things, where is the food being offered, who is it offering it, did the shamans do their offering to the bird god.... list can go on.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
None of my flock care a wit about temperature provided the chop is edible. A horrifying proportion is tossed to the floor, so much my comping bin works overtime to say nothing of appreciative ants. I try to maintain proper perspective as servant, faithfully coddling my feathered overlords, hoping my yearly contract is renewed!

Most Reactions