Advice finding a parrot sitter?

SpicyBeak

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCCs
I live in Massachusetts, and I had been using the same parrot sitter for my two GCCs for many years. She was wonderful but recently retired. I use a different sitter now, and she's also beyond amazing, but her schedule is very full - she took on many of the retiring sitter's clients. I'm finding it hard to schedule vacations, and a recent bereavement in the family is making things extra complicated. Anyone have advice for finding someone reputable who'll take in birds, or will stay at my home? There are so many sketchy websites! I've found a great person who will do daily hour-long visits, but I'd love to be able to leave for multiple days in a row. Thank you so much! (Here's a pic of my two perfect birdies warming up after a bath.)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I had a death in the family months ago and the parrot store I bought them from (owner) was able to board them. I'd have prefered a sitter but sometimes a private bird store is the way to go. Also parrot rescues will board birds. And there are also bird hotels.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Do you have an avian vet in your area? I was fortunate enough to find an avian vet tech as a sitter. I’d start by checking there.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
It’s a challenge. We left two birds with a sitter, a former vet tech who had kept them before, and when we picked them up two weeks later the macaw was drinking a ton of water and had lost ten percent of his body weight. I don’t know what happened, but he recovered quickly. So I’m in the same boat of not having a trusted sitter for vacations or emergencies.

OP
SpicyBeak

SpicyBeak

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCCs
It’s a challenge. We left two birds with a sitter, a former vet tech who had kept them before, and when we picked them up two weeks later the macaw was drinking a ton of water and had lost ten percent of his body weight. I don’t know what happened, but he recovered quickly. So I’m in the same boat of not having a trusted sitter for vacations or emergencies.
Oh no. So sorry to hear that.

OP
SpicyBeak

SpicyBeak

Jun 22, 2023
Parrots
2 GCCs
Do you have an avian vet in your area? I was fortunate enough to find an avian vet tech as a sitter. I’d start by checking there.
That's so helpful! My current sitter, the one who's wonderful but heavily booked, is a vet tech. I'll reach out to other avian vets in the area and see if I have any luck.

Most Reactions

Latest posts