Advice for aggressive Yellow Naped Amazon

Birdrescuer

Mar 4, 2022
Parrots
Walter 58yo Yellow Naped Amazon male
Bogie 18 yo Quaker female
Walter is about 58 years old. My late husband and I adopted him and his mate Geraldine from The Exotic Bird Rescue in Oregon where we live. We also adopted Bubba and Boogie a bonded pair of Quakers.

Walter has never liked me but always loved my husband. Geraldine died about five years ago at 65. Bubba died about four years ago. So Walter sits on top of Bogies cage all day. Sometimes he manages to get inside and sit on her perch. Boogie doesn't seem to happy about it and pretty much stays away from him when he does that. We have never felt comfortable letting them be together considering the size difference.

My husband passed away last August. I have been caring totally for Walter since. At first he was acting very aggressive but as time went on we seemed to come to a truce and Walter has even learned at night that if he gets in his cage when I ask he will get an almond. I am all about positive reinforcement and have never done anything to betray his trust.

Today he attacked me and really injured my arm. I almost couldn't shake him off. And once on the floor went after my feet. The last few days he has been acting more territorial about Bogie. I wonder if it might have something to do with breeding season? The other time he did this he jumped on the back of my neck and took out chunks of my neck. Both times I was putting food on his cage when he was on top. I must say I really lost it and yelled at him and threw a towel at him to keep him from coming at me again. I know that was wrong but I was scared and mad. I hope I havent ruined our relationship. Can anyone help me?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I understand that the bites hurt, but try your best to stay calm and not react at all. That means no yelling, shaking, pulling away, etc, only short time-outs for hard bites.
Try target training with plenty of positive reinforcement and treat rewards. Be patient, and if you think he lost trust in you, take the same steps you did to build that trust in the first place.

OP
B

Birdrescuer

Mar 4, 2022
Parrots
I understand that the bites hurt, but try your best to stay calm and not react at all. That means no yelling, shaking, pulling away, etc, only short time-outs for hard bites.
Try target training with plenty of positive reinforcement and treat rewards. Be patient, and if you think he lost trust in you, take the same steps you did to build that trust in the first place.
Thank you for the advice. I will start over with him. But I would really like to find out the cause for this behavior. Could it be breeding season for both Amazon's and Quakers? Could that make him more protective and aggressive? If so what do I do about it? Also these were not little nips. He took literally chunks of meat out of my arm. There is enough damage that I am going to urgent care. I defy anyone to not react to that kind of pain. I am a dog groomer and have been bitten numerous times over 56 years. So I am not a stranger to pain : )

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thank you for the advice. I will start over with him. But I would really like to find out the cause for this behavior. Could it be breeding season for both Amazon's and Quakers? Could that make him more protective and aggressive? If so what do I do about it?
Yup, could definitely be hormones. Keep him busy and remove anything triggering, like nest-like objects.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry for your loss of husband and birds.

I'm sure that was an extremely painful bite, yikes!

It is hormonal times for my quaker girls but is pretty mild here at least currently. And they are not a hot Amazon.

We have suffered the loss of a longtime forum member and Amazon human . So give some time fir the Amazon members to weigh in.

If you are aware if the triggers , like messing with cage while he us on top. Try and have him move to a chair or perch away from cage, before you do anything, maybe give a slice if apple to distract him and keep him busy

OP
B

Birdrescuer

Mar 4, 2022
Parrots
Thank you for the help. He was on top of another cage when he attacked. Had to go across the cage jump a space before he got to me. Not just one bite, four, chunks out of my arm. I couldn't disengage him. I finally had to push him off my arm to the floor and he kept coming at me. Not only is it physically traumatic but emotionally. I am hoping this is seasonal/ hormonal, because he will seem fine for long periods of time. I do know he is worried about Bogie when I am doing anything with her in her cage. I never totally trust him but thought we were starting to learn to communicate. He never seems afraid. But of course I have no idea what happened to him for the 45 years before we adopted him.

I am sorry you have lost a member of your community. Everyone suffers when a member is gone. I'm in no hurry. I can wait for responses. Thanks again.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Yes, we have lost a caring member of our community, but it helps to be able to follow-on with his helpful nature.

Please Start Over with Your Amazon. Losses effect all of us and Amazons tie closely with our emotions and the loss of your dear Husband have both of you loss. At the top of the Amazon Forum, please read with understanding the two Threads. Please start with understanding Amazon Body Language as it will help you see and understand what your Amazon is attempting to communicate. I strongly recommend reading that thread several times while sitting near your Amazon in a soft loving voice. It will help.

Yes, we are near the end of the Natural Hormonal Season for Amazons. That said, your Amazon is also being effected by the loss of your Husband and making a new Parrot Friend. So, being territorial is likely. Assure that your Amazon's day is closely following the Natural Sunshine Day in your area. Sleeping with dark, up when the Sun is out. Limit sugar /Fruit.

That should get you started! Please remember that this to shall pass!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts