Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
My fiancé and I recently added two black capped conures to our flock. We already have a male Solomon Island eclectus, who is 22 years old, and a turquoise green cheek conure we got in April. We actually had taken the green cheek (River) to get his nails trimmed and the eclectus (Basil) to get his beak trimmed at the store we bought the green cheek at. My fiancé saw a little black cap in one of the cages but we didn’t buy one then.

A few weeks later we heard that the store got in a few black capped conures. So we planned a trip to the store (it’s an hour away) and went down. When we got there, the owner told us about the conures he had received. One of them had a wing injury. The parents had chewed the little chick’s wing off above the elbow resulting in him having less then half of one wing.

My fiancé has three special needs kids and our hearts fell for this little guy as soon as we saw him. We decided on taking him and one of his siblings home with us.

If anyone has some sage advice or suggestions for how to ensure we help this little guy out throughout his life, please let me know. He will have plenty of love and attention, we just want to make sure we are taking all the necessary precautions to ensure he doesn’t get hurt.

c2cab61a30dc86ac825de98df091d728.jpg

River, the turquoise green cheek and the babies in the background.

4ffb17add10df4aafde2ab731fab3655.jpg

Kylo, the unharmed black capped conure.

c3a94564c138a7737dcdd2ad3d9682b6.jpg

The black capped siblings.

fec127ff0fcf85d984920330b04b3f1f.jpg

Nemo, the handicapped black capped conure.

434e390c4cfe0681e99abfcc738d3f22.jpg

Nemo’s uninjured wing. I was being very gentle with him.

14ef614390eb493ce9214ea0b71f0f40.jpg

Nemo’s injures/missing wing. I wasn’t comfortable opening it like the normal wing as it’s very small and stubby and I don’t want him to be uncomfortable.

3fe7ca8554196db54edad55bd6e00af7.jpg

Basil, 22 year old Solomon island eclectus.

I have hand fed many birds, even my eclectus that is 22 years old now since he was 4 weeks and weaned him. I just didn’t want anyone to think we are newbies at this.

I look forward to your advice and suggestions.

-Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romi Fukuoka

Dec 1, 2021
Parrots
Crimson Bellied Conure
White Belly Caique
Black Headed Caique
My fiancé and I recently added two black capped conures to our flock. We already have a male Solomon Island eclectus, who is 22 years old, and a turquoise green cheek conure we got in April. We actually had taken the green cheek (River) to get his nails trimmed and the eclectus (Basil) to get his beak trimmed at the store we bought the green cheek at. My fiancé saw a little black cap in one of the cages but we didn’t buy one then.

A few weeks later we heard that the store got in a few black capped conures. So we planned a trip to the store (it’s an hour away) and went down. When we got there, the owner told us about the conures he had received. One of them had a wing injury. The parents had chewed the little chick’s wing off above the elbow resulting in him having less then half of one wing.

My fiancé has three special needs kids and our hearts fell for this little guy as soon as we saw him. We decided on taking him and one of his siblings home with us.

If anyone has some sage advice or suggestions for how to ensure we help this little guy out throughout his life, please let me know. He will have plenty of love and attention, we just want to make sure we are taking all the necessary precautions to ensure he doesn’t get hurt.

c2cab61a30dc86ac825de98df091d728.jpg

River, the turquoise green cheek and the babies in the background.

4ffb17add10df4aafde2ab731fab3655.jpg

Kylo, the unharmed black capped conure.

c3a94564c138a7737dcdd2ad3d9682b6.jpg

The black capped siblings.

fec127ff0fcf85d984920330b04b3f1f.jpg

Nemo, the handicapped black capped conure.

434e390c4cfe0681e99abfcc738d3f22.jpg

Nemo’s uninjured wing. I was being very gentle with him.

14ef614390eb493ce9214ea0b71f0f40.jpg

Nemo’s injures/missing wing. I wasn’t comfortable opening it like the normal wing as it’s very small and stubby and I don’t want him to be uncomfortable.

3fe7ca8554196db54edad55bd6e00af7.jpg

Basil, 22 year old Solomon island eclectus.

I have hand fed many birds, even my eclectus that is 22 years old now since he was 4 weeks and weaned him. I just didn’t want anyone to think we are newbies at this.

I look forward to your advice and suggestions.

-Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi! Your birds are beautiful!!

I have a 10 year old Black Headed Caique, Taka, who hatched in my care and he was chewed on his left wing and left foot by one or both of his parents when he was still in the box.

When I pulled him at the age of 2 and a half weeks, he had no left wing (all gone) and 3 of his toes had also been chewed off, although his wounds already had been fully healed by then.

His parents aggression towards him was most likely due to my peeking into the box (I leaned the hard way, you should never do this) I was responsible for this and since I do not believe in euthanasia I decided to raise him and keep him as my pet (I had rehomed all other babies that hatched with me).

Since Taka has only one wing, naturally, he can't fly. And since he has only 1 toe on his left foot his footing is not perfect. But he has been doing extremely well, since day 1, knows how to use his bad foot and everything, he is a very sweet and happy boy. He can do everything that other birds do the same way, except for flying.

The only thing I did for him was that I got him a cage that is relatively low in height so that when he does fall (birds do respond to fear, seeing sudden movements or big noise etc., by trying to fly away, it's their reflex), he won't get hurt. When he is out of the cage, however, no matter how careful I think I am, accidents do happen and he has fallen from places numerous times but so far, in the past 10 years there has been no injuries. I try not to put him on my shoulder or places that is far off the floor.

Conclusion is, your conure will be just fine, they don't really need to be flighted in captivity, you seem to really love them and take excellent care of them and under your care, they will thrive. Best of luck to you!!

Attachments

• Taka Mogi.jpg
    Taka Mogi.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 72

Most Reactions

Latest posts