advice for my new baby Alex :)

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
proud mum to baby Alexandrine parrot Midori (Dori), 6 cats - Rosie, Ralphie, Rebel, Rocky, Rahni and Mooska, 2 dogs - Bronson the golden lab and Harley the golden retriever and now 7 mice!
hi all. i just got my first alex baby today - the breeder told me he/she is 3 1/2 weeks old, but i think its more like 4 1/2 weeks looking at other photos. I am just wondering how much do babies sleep? i am leaving my baby Dori alone atm for awhile, just to deal with the stress of being taken away from mum, and the new surroundings. first feed went ok - 1/2 large syringe, and i will give Dori another one in a few hours. any advice would be greatly appreciated! ps breeder told me it would be a good idea to get a heat lamp for about a week. i dont have one for tonight, and my house does get quite cold during the night. i was thinking of putting the cage in the study with Dori in a box with warm bedding and a blanket over the cage, and maybe have an oil heater on low? :green2:

OP
M

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Parrots
proud mum to baby Alexandrine parrot Midori (Dori), 6 cats - Rosie, Ralphie, Rebel, Rocky, Rahni and Mooska, 2 dogs - Bronson the golden lab and Harley the golden retriever and now 7 mice!
i just realised the kids have reading lamps so will set up one near or not too close. i want my baby to sleep with me tonight to make sure Dori is ok lol. i think tomorrow i will going to buy a few toys for my baby. his/her favourite sleeping place is under my tshirt on my chest - oh well the things us mums have to put up with! So when are you getting your new baby? my mums ones are breeding atm, with 4 eggs in the nest. they dont normally hatch them, but maybe this time if one does, i might get one so i can have the two babies around the same age.

OP
M

Midori

Oct 11, 2012
Parrots
photos are already posted lol! not sure if you are able to see them yet. yep going to be very impatient not knowing what sex until the feathers change. i will be happy either way! except i keep calling him him.

coral3

Aug 4, 2012
Australia
Parrots
'Ringo' - alexandrine, hatched 2012 ~ 'Prinny' - princess parrot, 1992-2012 RIP
Would a hot water bottle wrapped in polar fleece be better than a desk lamp perhaps?

Most Reactions