Advice needed

stan_the_man

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hello, everyone!

I'm seeking some advice regarding my ringneck parrot. I purchased him about three months ago, and I've successfully taught him to step up, but only when I offer him a sunflower seed or dried banana as a reward. Otherwise, he tends to be hesitant to step up.

Whenever I watch an Instagram video with other parrots, he seems comfortable flying over and perching on my hand.

It seems that he is quite frightened of me and actively avoids my presence.

How can I demonstrate to him that I am genuinely interested in being his friend and providing the best care for him?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
You're on the right track! I don't have experience with ringnecks specifically, but as a general rule with parrots I've found that the most difficult step is overcoming abject fear. Your ringneck does not seem, from this post, to be truly afraid of you. If you're doing something he's curious about (watching bird videos), he approaches you and even sits on your hand--that's huge! With actual fear out of the way, you simply need to build trust, which is a process that surely takes time. More time for some birds than others, but it does take time.

I would suggest that you continue working on step up training with treats, and whenever possible try to integrate activities that you know your bird enjoys into your time together. Again, I only have the info from this post, but bird videos seems to be a good one!

With my new birds, I try to do short training sessions often, and other than that I leave our time together up to the bird. I open their cage, if they want to hang out in their cage or on the baskets on top of the cage with their flock mates that's fine, if they want to hang with me they can fly to me. The important thing is that if they do choose to come to me, I always make it worth their while--a little treat, some scritches, an activity I know they enjoy, etc.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello, everyone!

I'm seeking some advice regarding my ringneck parrot. I purchased him about three months ago, and I've successfully taught him to step up, but only when I offer him a sunflower seed or dried banana as a reward. Otherwise, he tends to be hesitant to step up.

Whenever I watch an Instagram video with other parrots, he seems comfortable flying over and perching on my hand.

How can I demonstrate to him that I am genuinely interested in being his friend and providing the best care for him?
- Keep feeding it from your hand more often and try to handle it more often.
- Talk to it in a calm voice.
- Let it hang out with you when your watching TV, on the internet, etc
- Clip its wings partially so that it doesn't crash land. This will make it depend on you more and help with bonding.
- The more time you spend with it the better you will bond
I hope this helps

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
Hello, everyone!

If you can handle it. try getting another bird

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi! I have a friend who has a ring neck! She had bonded well with him. He is 4 years old. Is he hand raised? If not, it will be hard to teach him not to be afraid of you. A few tricks: sit near him while working. Talk to him often. As @Free as a bird said about clipping his wings, I may not recommend it, since some if not many parrot owners think that clipping their feathered friends wing may get them to bond better, it is mostly not true. It may make him more afraid of you and may even pluck feathers if he don’t trust you because, imagine all the stress you would be in if you suddenly got transported to a new place with new people? And suddenly, you loose some of your freedom!
Sorry if offended you, @Free as a bird. Sincerely sorry if did.

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
If you can handle it. try getting another bird
I won’t recommend that, though. Sorry @andy in the sky. If he can’t handle one, two will be… trouble! A lot of trouble. And, getting another one may mean… they depending on each other more and ignore their poor owner who wants to bond with them. It… happened to me so just writing personal experience. If you think getting another one is best, then, I have nothing to say about it. I just hope it gives you some help. Sorry, sorry, @andy in the sky!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Hi! I have a friend who has a ring neck! She had bonded well with him. He is 4 years old. Is he hand raised? If not, it will be hard to teach him not to be afraid of you. A few tricks: sit near him while working. Talk to him often. As @Free as a bird said about clipping his wings, I may not recommend it, since some if not many parrot owners think that clipping their feathered friends wing may get them to bond better, it is mostly not true. It may make him more afraid of you and may even pluck feathers if he don’t trust you because, imagine all the stress you would be in if you suddenly got transported to a new place with new people? And suddenly, you loose some of your freedom!
Sorry if offended you, @Free as a bird. Sincerely sorry if did.
My most frightful bird is a lovebird, which is of course much smaller than an IRN and personality wise small birds do tend to be very anxious birds. But, the foster I got her from was VERY big on wing clipping, so she came to me clipped.

I believe her clipped wings made it significantly harder for us to bond. She'd see me approach, panic, try to fly, and then panic even harder because she couldn't escape!! She injured herself multiple times until her wings finally grew in. Shes still a very nervous bird, does not step up by any means, but she will eat treats from my hand and often flies to sit near me.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Hello, everyone!

Interacting with Him often and speaking to him Several times a day Is a great way to let Him know you aren't a threat. Give him his favorite treat occasionally through cage bars or when he sticks around you.
Please do not clip wings or starve it (there are methods as such) as the starving method may make it dependent on you only for the food. IF wings are clipped, It most likely will hate hands. Taming is best done inside the cage, and once He lets you stick around its safe space, start taking him out and interact. You can also let him out if your room is bird proofed and safe, and stick around in that room. Changing his tray, water and food regularly helps him with trust.

Hope this helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts