Advice on a book for GCC

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hey, guys! I’ve been holding off on posting this until I was sure that I was getting a Green Cheek. I made a deposit for a baby GCC. Now, I’m just waiting for it to get older and weaned. Although I basically trained a wild cockatiel (Princess) before, I never really raised one as a young little thing. I also have no experience with GCC. Is there any particular books you all would recommend for me to learn from behavior to taming and teaching tricks to correcting or breaking bad habits? It would be super convenient if it was on Amazon, but would get it anywhere it’s available.

Btw, I was wondering if a clicker would be better than myself saying “good” when he/she does what I was trying to get them to do. My main concern is when family interacts with the GCC. Would it not respond to family the same way as it does to me saying “good” compared to us just all using a clicker? I would be the primary person to train and raise him/her, but am wanting to socialize my GCC with as many family members as possible. Thank you guys in advance!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hey, this isn't a book, but it may be as long as one lol! As a new owner, please see my response to the link I am posting-- you will see it after sailboat and Scott's replies ( I believe). This stuff is SO important and a lot of new parrot owners have no idea, so that's my advice for you.
http://www.parrotforums.com/new-members-welcome/88401-new-here-looking-advice.html

Also, DO NOT get huts, tents, hammocks or mirrors for your parrot. They will almost always lead to hormonal issues long-term.

OP
S

Snowbird

Jun 13, 2018
California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Thank you all for the replies so far. I will make sure to look at all the links you all sent.

I definitely will steer clear of tents, huts, hammocks, mirrors, etc. That was a few of the things I learned with my Princess that passed away. I also have a scale for my GCC waiting for him/her when he comes home. The cage inside is also in the process of getting all my GCC’s goodies put in his/her home.

A bit off topic, but I placed the highest perch only about 1ft from the bottom grate of the cage in case he fell. If anyone thinks I should raise it or lower it, I’m all ears and would very much appreciate it. Thank you guys again. I’ll be sure to read up.

Most Reactions