May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Mr Snuggles is 12 this year and I cannot bare to lose him so would like to give him a family so I can always have part of him around. He is very bound to me and has always been my lone cockatiel, though I have had finches and/or a canary for all his life. Is it a bad idea to give him a mate at this age.
I wouldn't, unless you know everything there is to know about breeding, PLUS can handfeed baby birds correctly, PLUS have enough money to pay for vet visits for both him and the mother, and the babies.

I'm sorry, and I know losing him will be hard, but he is his own unique self. The babies will only be half of him anyway, and what will you do once they pass away? Keep breeding them? I know how it is, I worry about losing my birds every day, but you are putting birds animals at risk so you can keep having cockatiels with "him" in them.

I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but it would probably be better to just "let him go", and understand that he is himself and unique, then breed him just so you can still have part of "him", which you will eventually have to let go of anyway.

I wish you the best, and I really feel for you πŸ«‚

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Mr Snuggles is 12 this year and I cannot bare to lose him so would like to give him a family so I can always have part of him around. He is very bound to me and has always been my lone cockatiel, though I have had finches and/or a canary for all his life. Is it a bad idea to give him a mate at this age.
I think 12 is quite old for a cockatiel to have babies. As stated above, breeding has many risks. It is your choice whether it's a risk worth taking. I reccomend having him and his partner taken to a vet and having them tested for multiple illnesses. You will need to have all necessary breeding equipment. Torch to check for fertility, Handraring equipment in case the parents stop caring for him, etc. @texsize may know more info since he bred cockatiels before.

Most Reactions

Latest posts