Advice on moody parrot

Yesmria

Aug 22, 2020
Parrots
Cockatiel, Sun Conure
I have a 2 year-old GCC. His name is Bucky and I love him to death but as of the last 8 months he has been very mean. When he would typically let me pick him up and cuddle him he puffed his feathers up and bites me. Just now he flew over to me and was relaxing on my shoulder and then bit me and wouldn't let go without me having to throw some fabric at him to even get him off. At night when all the lights are off he will fly over to me desk and become the biggest cuddle bug but any other time all he wants to do is bite me. I don't know what I did or am doing wrong for his behavior to be so weird towards me. I got him when he was 6 months old. The breeder said he was hand raised so I don't know why he became so chompy. I'm just puzzled as to what to do at this point to get him to go back to his loving self towards me. Hes like this with everyone tho..one wrong move and he will bite, or if you have him and try to put him back ontop of his cage he still bites.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I have a 2 year-old GCC. His name is Bucky and I love him to death but as of the last 8 months he has been very mean. When he would typically let me pick him up and cuddle him he puffed his feathers up and bites me. Just now he flew over to me and was relaxing on my shoulder and then bit me and wouldn't let go without me having to throw some fabric at him to even get him off. At night when all the lights are off he will fly over to me desk and become the biggest cuddle bug but any other time all he wants to do is bite me. I don't know what I did or am doing wrong for his behavior to be so weird towards me. I got him when he was 6 months old. The breeder said he was hand raised so I don't know why he became so chompy. I'm just puzzled as to what to do at this point to get him to go back to his loving self towards me. Hes like this with everyone tho..one wrong move and he will bite, or if you have him and try to put him back ontop of his cage he still bites.

Ahhhh...the "terrible two's!"...he is starting to mature and his hormones are running amok :eek: and it is uncontrollable for him and has no idea what is happening to himself,BUT..there IS light at the end of the tunnel!! He will get over it soon enough.

Jim

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Ive got one like that!!
Shes been really sweet up until a few days ago,shes approaching two. Very hard bite with blood,with no warning ruffed up feathers. I found it quite difficult to keep up her routine,kisses for a sunflower seed,scritches etc,because I was nervous it would happen again. Still unsure if its puberty or pins as shes moulting. But Im glad Ive overcome the angst! I'm getting a loud "NO" in, even for a tiny bite.
It looks like its something we will have to deal with...........little monsters,but love 'em to bits!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sorry to hear Bucky is becoming chompy. As explained above, most likely hormonal issues. Please be careful cuddling at night when it is dark as that may be perceived as mating behavior. If you keep the attention focused on his head and avoid the back/wings/belly, should be OK.

In the meanwhile, might find Bite Pressure Training helpful: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
SO as you enter and progress thru puberty with your parrot, its important to not develop a negative relationship with them. An example woud be handling them a lot less, or not at all , because of their behavior. You have to become expert in reading the body language and demeanor of your bird. The best bite is one that happen. And like Scott and Jim said, this too shall pass, so you want to preserve the positives in your realtionship.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
GCC can easily develop a fear of hands, itā€™s happened to mine several times,
Really pay attention to to body language, donā€™t force interactions, bribe with hand fed treats. Sometimes you have to win them back , and work on trust

First bite I look st her and firmly say no bite. She usually mutters birdie curses Iā€™m sure at me and letā€™s me know itā€™s my fault. Then we go about things as if nothing happened. A second bite within 20 mins I tell her no bite look her in they eye then take her to the cage, then I come back and get her after a few minutes....

I also try and think of why bites are happening, has something changed, was it because a bird or person or pet was around, did something spook her, did I spook her...

Adult GCC want a lot of respect and are very sensitive to slights or wrongs they think have happened. They use that beak to keep us in line. Donā€™t pet them if st that Minuit they donā€™t want to be letters. Pay attention to body language, respect them. Yiu should be back at having your seeetie.

My GCC can get mad if I raise my hand to fast, accidentally bumped a pin feather..., if I know I did something I tell her sorry , she rants , then she is over it,

Most Reactions

Latest posts