Advice on my best friend, my conure

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
GCC, Juliet ✝ (2015-2023)
Hello everyone, my name is Oli and my conure is my best friend.
I posted this also in the behavior forum but I really am worried..

WARNING: VERY LONG POST. Summary at the bottom if it's too long

background: I've had a female pineapple green cheek conure since November 2015, her name is Juliet! Her birthday is in April, and she was 7 months old when I adopted her.
She is my whole world socially, and I'm fine with that. I love her so much and she loves me, and we go everywhere together (weather permitting). She is fed Harrison's pellets, lots of fruit and vegetables, and pistachios everyday. She also gets plenty of treats and I share my appropriate table food with her.

Her behavior: Juliet has always been very 'stoic'. She never made much of any sound, unless I left the room. She would do a two squawk call for me then, and whenever I accidentally bother her she does a squawk and a little peck (not a bite) on My fingers. When I first adopted her she was untamed, her owner had a heart attack right before she hatched. After a few months we were totally bonded and close. For a long time she used to call for me early in the mornings, and I would let her out of her cage and she would come sleep next to my head for another hour. I never pet her anywhere except her head and beak, and sometimes I would cup her to scoop her up. She very rarely bit me and I always did my best to respect her boundaries and "off" days.

THE PROBLEM:
for the last 1-2 weeks, Juliet had started some new and sometimes really aggressive behaviors
-she has been biting me whenever she gets the chance, yet she still loves to cuddle my hair and body and ears. I don't mean love bites. I mean BITES, ow!!!
-nothing in her environment has changed. My schedule has not changed.
-not so much a problem, but an observation. This doesn't bother me at all, she can be as loud as she wants, but lately she makes lots of chirping and chattering sounds, which is really unlike her.
-I go to get her to step up on my finger and like usual, she uses her beak to help herself, but now when she does she lingers for a while and almost chews on my finger and it really hurts...
-she has lots of toys, wood, plastic, rope, paper- you name it, and she has never been one to chew holes in clothes or anything, but lately she's pulling at everything and chewing holes in my shirts and pillow cases.
-just in general been really clingy, which isn't hat new, but she's been really aggressive about it.
-there's a spot on my bed frame between my bed and wall where she sits sometimes (not dangerous), and she likes when I help her up to bed fr there (it's a loft), but lately she doesn't want me to touch her while she's there, and gets really angry if my hands even close and will lunge.
-the thing about her lunging that confuses me is that she doesn't display any other typically angry body language, and isn't quick or sudden, she just reaches out and bites really hard, and then puts her beak down on the solid ground she's on.
-she's not really all that receptive or caring about scritches lately. She doesn't refuse them but she doesn't seem to want them or relax with them either.
-if I make even one tiny little misstep in petting her that she doesn't like, it's a scream and a peck, where before she was a lot more lenient if I accidentally poked a pin feather.

TL;DR- my almost 2 year old female conure has been extremely talkative and girly, which is unusually for her. She's also been uncharacteristic ally aggressive, defensive, and 'off'. She still wants to cuddle and be held, but mostly she wants to cuddle with me and have me not reciprocate.

It would be so great if anyone could tell me what's going on... thank you so much! :rainbow1:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Oli. I hope we can help you better understand Juliet's behavior and perhaps improve her mood.

Don't have any recent conure experience, but the overall impression is that hormonal activity may be a factor. Perhaps she is of the age of sexual maturity; other members may give better guidance.

It is far too soon to assume these changes are permanent, as wild mood swings can be part of a normal parrot's repertoire.

Last edited:
OP
Oli

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
Welcome to the forums, Oli. I hope we can help you better understand Juliet's behavior and perhaps improve her behavior.

Don't have any recent conure experience, but the overall impression is that hormonal activity may be a factor. Perhaps she is of the age of sexual maturity; other members may give better guidance.

It is far too soon to assume these changes are permanent, as wild mood swings can be part of a normal parrot's repertoire.

I've thought so, but it feels so nice just to hear that, thank you.. I worry about her so much and just want her to be happy at my side.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am just guessing this may be associated with sexual maturity, waiting for a member experienced with conures to verify!

Sending a PM!

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Sounds like puberty to me. Within a year or so her hormones should calm down a bit but in the mean time the best things you can do is generally stick to how your behaving now as well as assess a few things.

How much sleep does she get? It will do her great if you can give her at least 12 hours of total darkness to sleep, no more than. 14. Also I personally wouldn't encourage napping/sleeping with your bird out, if that's what you meant by having her out will you have another hour in bed.

Look at her diet. What you described sounded great and I don't k is the quantities of what you feed her but maybe consider toning down her fruit and protein content. Harrisons are great, and if that's her only protein source then that's great and don't worry about it.

Personally my Pazu has only had one bad bout of hormones (although he does have his days when he's riled up) but was made worse by me going away for a few days. But mostly I manage it by keeping him sleeping properly.
This is just my 2 cent, I definitely don't have the most experience in this matter.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
It does sound like she is approaching puberty, with all the hormones rushing through her little body. Things like making the loft her own says it to me. All you can do is provide the sleep and appropriate diet, remember that this too shall pass. Every parrot goes through puberty different. My last parrot, Max, we actually didn;t even notice a change in him. On the other hand, we had a monk parrot that was like Jekyll and Hyde for 9 months or so, before he came out the other side. But puberty or not, if she has been bite pressure trained, that should still be the law of the land. Good luck, your baby still loves you.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
OP
Oli

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
Sounds like puberty to me. Within a year or so her hormones should calm down a bit but in the mean time the best things you can do is generally stick to how your behaving now as well as assess a few things.

How much sleep does she get? It will do her great if you can give her at least 12 hours of total darkness to sleep, no more than. 14. Also I personally wouldn't encourage napping/sleeping with your bird out, if that's what you meant by having her out will you have another hour in bed.

Look at her diet. What you described sounded great and I don't k is the quantities of what you feed her but maybe consider toning down her fruit and protein content. Harrisons are great, and if that's her only protein source then that's great and don't worry about it.

Personally my Pazu has only had one bad bout of hormones (although he does have his days when he's riled up) but was made worse by me going away for a few days. But mostly I manage it by keeping him sleeping properly.
This is just my 2 cent, I definitely don't have the most experience in this matter.

Thank you so so much. It's so relieving to be getting advice on this.

OP
Oli

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
OP
Oli

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
It does sound like she is approaching puberty, with all the hormones rushing through her little body. Things like making the loft her own says it to me. All you can do is provide the sleep and appropriate diet, remember that this too shall pass. Every parrot goes through puberty different. My last parrot, Max, we actually didn;t even notice a change in him. On the other hand, we had a monk parrot that was like Jekyll and Hyde for 9 months or so, before he came out the other side. But puberty or not, if she has been bite pressure trained, that should still be the law of the land. Good luck, your baby still loves you.

Thank you so much.. it means a lot and calms me down to hear this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Yes! Stay steady throughout, she will level out eventually. I had a conure who was absolutely the best but puberty! Eish! I made sure he had regular bedtimes, I didn't hang out with him when he acted out (think Tasmanian devil bird) and we got through it.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I share this with those who are facing these issues... Ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
GaleriaGila;631930(aggressive said:
Umm...should I notify Special Victims Unit? That isn't even funny, as it is a serious thing, but really, only on Parrot Forums are we permitted to discuss our best friends, ummmm, unusual sexual appetites. It is amazing what I put up with between parrots and horses. Dogs and sheep no problem. Parrots and horses have a lot of similarities in how to approach training and the whole attitude in general. Odd. I don't know that I have thought of that before.

Good luck, hang in there, this too shall pass! I have seen monsters turn into angels and vice versa. If their human counterpart can stay sane, things almost will always work out. You just need to keep reaching out for help until things are smooth.

OP
Oli

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
It's been a while, and since I've been active again lately I'd like to update that Juliets hormonal behavior has been toned down big time! It took some gentle working and some adjustments, but I found what worked the best was actually getting her even more sleep! She goes to bed at around 8:30 every night now, and wake about at about 8. She seems happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
I don't have any bird specific advice, but I have a conure almost exactly the same age. I'm bracing myself.

Makes me want to call my mama and apologize for everything I ever did as a teenager.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Hi Oli, glad to hear this has evened out for you 2. We all get a bit cranky from time to time, even our birds.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hi Oli and welcome to the forum.

I'm no expert,and never even been owned by a conure ( some one on this list has a conDOR tho! :rolleyes:)
I concur with the folks here,sounds like your little girl is maturing!

I'm happy to hear she is settling down a few notches. and she sounds like a sweetheart...we need pictures!

Jim

OP
Oli

Oli

Supporting Member
Jan 22, 2017
California
Parrots
Hehe I have so many pictures!!

68fb8a8a6eea0e62752d6b2f6654e9bd.jpg

c76b84262717c1f0f6304cdc2c7bcdf9.jpg