Advice on my yellow-headed rosella

pamihailova

Aug 28, 2020
Hello guys. I don't know if this is for here, but I have huge problem and please if there is any way you can help me ill be so grateful... So I have Yellow headed rosella, we took her from pet store where she was staying one year in a small cage with all the time changing parrots in the cage, you know how are the pet shops. I read all the Internet and watched thousands of videos how to properly take care of a parrot and specifically Rosella. Now she's with us over 6 months and because I work from home she's all day out of the cage. She eats very well, pallets, vegetables,some fruits, some seeds, we let her everywhere in the house, she has a lot of toys, stands and trees. I started training her. First of course she was very afraid but I was very patient with her. She start flying to my hand, stepping up, hanging on my shoulder, on my head. Every time I give her my hand she step up. She knows "come here" and she even says Pikachu, because I call her all the time like that. She was so good and quiet and playing all the time, listening to me, eating her food, but one and a half months ago, something happened and she started screaming all day long, until 4-5 o'clock when she calm down. We went to the vet, because I got very concerned about her. They made all the tests possible and she was in perfect condition. The doctor even was surprised, because I took her out of her cage very easily and give her to him. So he said, she is just hormonal and it will pass away in some weeks. But it doesn't. I can't work properly, every time when we leave the house and this is happening very rarely, when we come back, she's very aggressive and doesn't want to interact with us. She screams all day long, but I'm telling you screaming like someone is pulling her feathers out. I tried everything guys, really everything, now we put her outside on the balcony when she screams, we live in area where is nature around us, so she can look at the trees and the other birds. In one two hour outside, she calms down and start singing normally and eat and play with her toys. But I'm so upset really, because is been more than a month every day screaming her lungs out. I know parrots scream, but this is not normal, she is stressed and I don't understand why. I'm trying my best really, but since this started I was not able to train her, because she refuse to listen and she is not eating good, because all day she is screaming and at the evening she is eating a lot. I'm very tired and I want my baby back. I love her so much, but this is driving me crazy. Please, please if you know something, or you have similar experience, please contact me here. Thank you ��❤️

Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry that your Thread had been missed today. Sadly, it happens, but with luck one of our Rosella members will chime in.

Yes, Hormones can cause changes and screaming can be one of those changes. However, the most common is a lack of Contact Calls and as a result, they begin to scream to get attention.

Contact calls are common between Parrots in the Wild as it is part of the group maintaining contact with each other as they work their way from one area to another. When they do not hear from one of the members, they increase the calls. When you get-up in the morning there is a good morning contact call, when you leave one room for another there is a contact call that you are going to xxxc room. When you are in the other room, you contact call from that room, i.e. 'I'm here, where are you?

The point of the above is that by not starting and maintaining a conversation, the Parrot begins to scream to get a response. And, with a Parrot any response is a response...

Consider 'Starting All Over Again' as if it is day one. Target rebuilding your relationship with your Parrot. At this point, you are both unhappy.

Change Your Vantage Point!
- It is Never the Fault of the Parrot!
- It is Always the Fault of the Human!
- If you change your vantage point to this, you will be surprised how much quicker you will be able to see what you are doing wrong and correct it.

Another Tool!
- Only good things happen when Humans are around!

Most Reactions

Latest posts