Advice on nipping NOT biting

jackiebron

Dec 29, 2019
My lad Harley has settled in quite well after we got off to a shaky start....well to be honest I had the shaky start Harley was just being a normal Alexandrine. My problem at the moment is probably going to have a simple solution so with that said, here is the problem: When I uncover Harley in the mornings he is quite happy to step up onto my hand to get out of his cage ( loves sitting atop the cage causing havoc with his toys and mumbling away to himself!) The issue I would like some help with is when it is "bed time" forget about asking him to step up, he has got it all figured out that at 5pm step up means bed time, and he isn't having a bar of soap to do with that. What I end up getting is a good squawking at and a nip (certainly not a bite) on my finger. I have started using a long piece of wood for him to step up on ( doesn't like it but I carry on regardless ) and he eventually allows me to place him in his cage. Once in there he is fine and dandy and goes off to sleep immediately. I would like some advice as to how to rectify this before it becomes a not so nice habit :)…. I liken it to a two year old who just doesn't want to go to bed and chucks one huge temper tantrum. Just as an after thought he actually behaves that way with the (watch out I'm a tough guy nips ) when ever I try to get him from the top of the cage.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Teach him to target (instructions in our training section)! Most birds learn how inside ten minutes. Once you have him targetting happily, start asking him to go into his cage to touch the target stick and earn a reward. It's *very* important to ask him out again and do a few more reps outside of the cage before finally targetting him inside one last time and shutting the door. If you have a bird trained to target, you can ask him to go anywhere and he will. Without biting! :)

OP
jackiebron

jackiebron

Dec 29, 2019
Thanks Betrisher, the video was very helpful......Looks like Harvey and I will be quite busy tomorrow :)

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
As well as targeting, start asking him to step up and put him in his cage and then bring him straight out again a lot earlier in the day, sometimes don't put him away at all, just take him as if you are going to and then pit him somewhere else.

Work towards doing this around 5 as it will take a while for him to trust that you're not going to put him away if it's close to bed time.

Also when he steps up give him a big treat! A full beak won't nip and if he nips before he steps up then "persuade" him to step up using something tasty and beak-filling so he's looking up, past your fingers. Again if he's looking away from your fingers he can't be munching on them!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As well as targeting, start asking him to step up and put him in his cage and then bring him straight out again a lot earlier in the day, sometimes don't put him away at all, just take him as if you are going to and then pit him somewhere else.

Work towards doing this around 5 as it will take a while for him to trust that you're not going to put him away if it's close to bed time.

Also when he steps up give him a big treat! A full beak won't nip and if he nips before he steps up then "persuade" him to step up using something tasty and beak-filling so he's looking up, past your fingers. Again if he's looking away from your fingers he can't be munching on them!

This is perfect advice!
My rescue used to turn into a monster about going back in the cage. I would give treats put her in and take her back out several times a day. In the cage waiting for was something yummy to. Sometimes I'd have her step up and just walk around , then out her back on the cage top. But at the end if the day the best piece or apple would slrrwsdy be in the cage waiting for , and I would give a seed. Didn't take long at all for her to be good about going back.
Good luck!!

OP
jackiebron

jackiebron

Dec 29, 2019

Brilliant advice and thank you....However, Harvey is quite happy to step up when I get him out of his cage...the problem is getting him from the outside of the cage into the cage proper.....I perhaps should try and be more specific...………….Harley will step up every morning when it is time for him to exit his cage, no problems at all, however, he will not allow me to do anything apart from place him on the top of his cage, he is happy there, "chatting" away playing with his toys and destroying them as well LOL. Whilst on the top of the cage he will ALLOW me to hand feed him his favourite food pine nuts, he will NOT allow me to touch him in anyway, he will bite and screech. He will do the kissie thing in as much as allow me to kiss him and he does his little coo sounds the only word I can think of to describe the noise he makes :)……...I have utilised the video showing how to teach him to "touch" an object and be rewarded for it, I cant remember the technical term for this type of training :)…. Harley excelled at it, within a matter of perhaps 10seconds he knew if he touched the "stick" he would be rewarded, and that's great but Im not sure in which direction I now go.....Lordy I do so loved him but gee I just feel that he hates me :(

Most Reactions