Advice on what bird to get.

RJMill

Jan 30, 2015
Parrots
1 CAG, Lucy (aka Miss Poops)
Hello, everyone. I've been looking over the forum for a few days now and have seen that there is a lot of good info on birds. I'm looking to get my "first" bird. First is in quotes because my whole life I have lived in a house with a Yellow Naped Amazon and have plenty of parrot experience. I'm not sure what would be the best bird for me. I have ample time to give to the bird, and size is not an issue. I would like a bird that wants to interact with me (somewhat cuddly, wants attention) and can speak, but isn't too noisy. A bird that is social is important, as well. All of the birds seem to have great traits, but since I've only had handling experience with a zon (and a hormonal one at that), I would like some first-hand experience to go along with the stated "norm" traits and needs of the birds online.

Any advice is welcomed. Thank you!

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
Everything you just mentioned sounds like a Green cheek conure ! They are cuddly, playful, smart, can say some words and noises (mine makes kissy noises and says his name), they have a big bird attitude in a little body. They (once you get them tamed) love to be upside down In your hand and to crawl inside your jacket, mine will hang from one foot by my finger and just look at me. They love to be cuddled and love head scratches. I think a green cheek is the perfect bird for what you are looking for !

OP
R

RJMill

Jan 30, 2015
Parrots
I'm leaning to a bird on the larger end of the scale, but that you for the advice! :)

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Maybe a Caique? They aren't big but they aren't small either, they're large in regards of their mass.
I think for the social part, all birds can fit into that category! It just depends how much you bring them out to socialize.

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Perhaps a mini macaw? Big personality in a smaller package.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I was going to say it sounds like you want a green cheek as well, but they definitely are not big, and if thats what you want, then i have no experience to help you. But welcome to the forum, im sure you will find it helpful and good luck on your search! :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I think the best way to arrive at the answer to this question would be for you to take some time to go to places where you can actually see birds... bird stores, rescues, sanctuaries, etc. if any in your area, so that you can see a wide variety of species and watch and perhaps interact with them, and ask the staff questions.

IMHO, asking here, keep in mind, might not get you what would necessarily be the best bird for you personally, but it will let you know what members personal favorites are :).

Since you do have experience living with a "hot three" zon for years, which has given you sime valuable insight and experience already, have you maybe considered one of the Amazons known for being a bit less temperamental?

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
What about an Eclectus? They require a special diet but are sweet smaller parrots with amazing personalities. Indian Ringneck? Quaker?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
A Hahn macaw might be worth your consideration. I've been wanting one for years, but I think for me I will get a grey if/when I can get one! �� greys are not as cuddly as the macaws generally speaking but mine were.

JamJar

Jan 25, 2015
Dubai
Parrots
Orange-Winged Amazon ~ Marley
how about the cockatoo ? they can scream but they love cuddles :)

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
how about the cockatoo ? they can scream but they love cuddles :)

Galahs can often be relatively quiet (emphasis on relative!) and they love cuddles as much as any other too!

kalypso123

Aug 16, 2014
Media
Tallahassee, Florida
Parrots
Cockatiel- Kalypso
Quakers arent huge birds but they arent too small either. They have a great ability to talk. They arnet too noisy and can be very affectionate. The only problem that can arise from a quaker is they can be cage aggresive but that can be stopped early on. In my personal expierence they can be one person birds. My grandma had one and it loved her husband. It tolerated her and my aunt but if my grandmas step son walked in the room he would dive bomb him and chase him to his room. Chase loves animals but that bird just didnt like him. In general they are great birds.

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Quakers arent huge birds but they arent too small either. They have a great ability to talk. They arnet too noisy and can be very affectionate. The only problem that can arise from a quaker is they can be cage aggresive but that can be stopped early on. In my personal expierence they can be one person birds. My grandma had one and it loved her husband. It tolerated her and my aunt but if my grandmas step son walked in the room he would dive bomb him and chase him to his room. Chase loves animals but that bird just didnt like him. In general they are great birds.

Lots of different species can be cage aggressive, it shouldn't be a deciding factor when trying to find a species that could possibly suit you.
Good thing you brought it up though, it's easy to forget about it.

OP
R

RJMill

Jan 30, 2015
Parrots
Thanks everyone, very helpful insight!

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
While a "species profile" can give some insight into a species behavior, remember that it will not necessarily apply to the bird you adopt...Individuals vary greatly which is why you shouldn't adopt a bird solely based off of their profile. Be sure to get to know the bird before adopting and ask lots of questions.

Green Cheeks are small, very cuddly birds and unlike other Conures they're known to be fairly quiet. However, their speech is limited and they may not speak at all, depending on the individual. They also tend to get very hormonal, especially females from my experience and any kind of touching below the neck should be avoided.

Pionus are very nice birds that should not be over looked just because of their plain colours. They love attention but are also fairly independent birds so are not too demanding of it. For the most part they're quiet, but of course like any med-large sized parrot are capable of loud vocals. Pionus speak a little, but not as much as other large parrots(or the hahns seen below). They also tend to be good family birds rather than bonding or preferring one person, however because of their independence they should be socialized frequently to avoid aggressive behavior.

Quakers are very unique parrots of their own Genus, they're known for their excellent talking ability. Quakers(in my opinion) are one of the most intelligent birds I've worked with. They can be affectionate, but not normally like a Green cheek. Quakers don't normally like being on their back. They tend to bond to and prefer one person, it's important to socialize them to prevent over-bonding and aggressive behavior towards other people. Quakers can also become very dependent and demanding. Quakers can be pretty noisy, but not too loud because they're smaller birds.

Hahns macaws are much like the larger macaws, except smaller and perhaps less flashy, but because of their size are easier to care for. They have a reasonably good talking ability, but they can also be reasonably loud. Hahns macaws normally have a willingness to accept new things(Unlike the Quaker, which I didn't mention hates new things) including toys. They're affectionate, but again not like a Green Cheek. Hahns macaws are outgoing, active and playful birds.

Don't overlook the Poicephalus parrots, though they're generally not very flashy they can be great birds if given the chance. :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions